Sax on the Web Forum banner

Saxphone Insurance, Is It Necessary These Days?????

3K views 38 replies 21 participants last post by  SpanishFly 
#1 ·
Seems like a lot of Saxophones are being ripped off per many posts on these forums. Anyone have insurance on their horn? How much does it cost on average? Thanks.

#2 ·
Cost and coverage will be influenced by whether you use your instruments professionally or not.

Contact your insurance provider to learn whether your homeowner's or renter's policy covers your horns.

#3 ·
I use Clarion. It's really affordable and gives me peace of mind in case of damage or theft, even though I don't play professionally.
I haven't had to use them so far, knock on wood, but I've read several good experiences of people that had to.
Get a free quote from them.

#7 ·
It's pretty cheap, actually. I'm insuring 12 instruments at an agreed to value of just north of $40k. It's $600/year. It'd be a whole lot cheaper for one horn. I don't think Clarion cares if you play professionally or not. They're just insuring the instrument. If you never take it out of the house, then it should be covered by your home owner's insurance if you own your house. If not, then renter's insurance should cover that as well.

But.... If you're taking it out to play and it's stolen at the gig, then Clarion is certainly the way to go. They won't care as long as you didn't just leave it in the car overnight.

#8 ·
Back when I worked in camera stores, people would come in to buy a new camera because their old one was stolen, and we would ask them where it was stolen from. Over 90% were stolen out of their car. The lesson I learned from that - don't leave your horn in the car.

#9 ·
Stange question (is it necessary?) because insurance is really the same as gambling - it's a financial choice you make, it's not compulsory. You are gambling on the likelihood of your instrument being stolen, burnt, flooded or dropped etc.

You definitely need to be informed when making such a decision, look at the small print. I wonder if people who lost instruments due to Katrina got compensated, if there was a clause about hurricanes being Force Majeure and not applicable.

I'm sure I have paid over the years more than my horns are worth, so in hindsight might have been better to "self insure" i.e. bank the money I would have spent on insurance and just use it when the issue arises. I think the only claim was for when my 10M went crashing to the floor.

I have insurance that covers most of my instruments on the premises, but with a few selected ones outside the house (including in a locked car overnight). They are insured with Allianz (two separate policies, one for saxophones and one for studio equipment). Household cover won't work as they are used professionally.

#11 ·
hello there....
well,it is a saxophone forum,and there are thieves about everywhere one goes.....
keep an eye on the horn,don't do stupid stuff,and in a car when putting it away,have a look around,or,put it in the car and drive to another parking place....

insurance is based on fear....

good luck...
cheers,philip
Seems like a lot of Saxophones are being ripped off per many posts on these forums.

#34 ·
insurance is based on fear....
Seems an unnecessarily disparaging way of putting it, Philip.

I'd rephrase it thus: insurance is based on risk -- managing risk. Put that way, a person who chooses to buy insurance isn't a coward, but is, rather, a rational actor behaving reasonably. Could be even seen as a courageous person, choosing to engage in activities involving nonzero risk.

#37 ·
yes,sometimes my word choice can be abrupt...
i do know about insurance company's though,and if anything does disappear you have to do all the hard work to try and get the funds out of them.....
hard choices sometimes...

thanks dana...
have a great day...

cheers,philip
Seems an unnecessarily disparaging way of putting it, Philip.

I'd rephrase it thus: insurance is based on risk -- managing risk.

#13 ·
I use Clarion
Same here. Been with them for several years for all my musical equipment; saxes, P.A. and keyboards.

Word of caution on Homeowners. I had my horns insured with State Farm for many years (a rider for a small premium) then they sent a letter indicating that they could no longer insure the musical equipment. It apparently did not matter if they were for home use or outside use. That is when I went with Clarion.

If a local insurance agent, or telephone sales agent tells you that he/she can sell a separate rider for your sax you need to read the policy language or call home office to make sure. Some agents may not always understand the "policy language" on odd items such as musical instruments, especially if the horn is being used out of your house on gigs and is stolen or damaged.

#17 ·
I'm the same as you lutemann, occasionally leave one in the car out of sight, however I'm insured with Allianz and have paid the extra for cover for theft from an unattended car, worth it for convenience and peace of mind.

#22 ·
If you want to add an instrument to your homeowners policy you have to schedule it. Instruments are generally limited to $1500 on covered perils + your deductible. They may require a serial number or picture of the horn when you schedule. However a lot of times they'll just cover it as property. Notable on these policies is the fact that the authorities have 60 days to get your horn back and insure you have been indemnified. This may mean that you have to wait that period for the payout. It's usually between $90 and $110/yr. If you have a renter's policy (or few assets) It's wise not to schedule the instrument and go with a musical instrument insurer.

#24 ·
From the commonly used form HO 00 03 04 91:

COVERAGE C – Personal Property
We cover personal property owned or used by an
"insured" while it is anywhere in the world. At your
request, we will cover personal property owned by:
1. Others while the property is on the part of the
"residence premises" occupied by an "insured";
2. A guest or a "residence employee," while the
property is in any residence occupied by an
"insured."
Our limit of liability for personal property usually
located at an "insured's" residence, other than the
"residence premises," is 10% of the limit of liability for
Coverage C, or $1000, whichever is greater. Personal
property in a newly acquired principal residence is not
subject to this limitation for the 30 days from the time
you begin to move the property there.
Special Limits of Liability...

...8. $2500 on property, on the "residence premises,"
used at any time or in any manner for any
"business" purpose.
9. $250 on property, away from the "residence
premises," used at any time or in any manner for
any "business" purpose. However, this limit does
not apply to loss to adaptable electronic apparatus
as described in Special Limits 10. and 11. below."

The only special limit on your musical equipment would be the above, and then only if the property is used for "business purposes"

There would be coverage for theft, fire, water, vehicles , etc. However it is not all risk (HO 00 15 04 91 would need to be added) so if for instance, you dropped your horn, it would not be covered for the damages sustained.

#28 ·
From the commonly used form HO 00 03 04 91:

COVERAGE C - Personal Property
We cover personal property owned or used by an
"insured" while it is anywhere in the world. At your
request, we will cover personal property owned by:
1. Others while the property is on the part of the
"residence premises" occupied by an "insured";
2. A guest or a "residence employee," while the
property is in any residence occupied by an
"insured."
Our limit of liability for personal property usually
located at an "insured's" residence, other than the
"residence premises," is 10% of the limit of liability for
Coverage C, or $1000, whichever is greater. Personal
property in a newly acquired principal residence is not
subject to this limitation for the 30 days from the time
you begin to move the property there.
Special Limits of Liability...

...8. $2500 on property, on the "residence premises,"
used at any time or in any manner for any
"business" purpose.
9. $250 on property, away from the "residence
premises," used at any time or in any manner for
any "business" purpose. However, this limit does
not apply to loss to adaptable electronic apparatus
as described in Special Limits 10. and 11. below."

The only special limit on your musical equipment would be the above, and then only if the property is used for "business purposes"

There would be coverage for theft, fire, water, vehicles , etc. However it is not all risk (HO 00 15 04 91 would need to be added) so if for instance, you dropped your horn, it would not be covered for the damages sustained.
Musical instruments, as well as furs, bullion, jewelry and firearms have coverage limits. Check your policy jacket specific to your HO insurance. Scheduling property will protect it off-site to it's full amount with a set deductible which may vary from your actual HO deductible. Although you're covered for 10% off-premises, the limits still apply. Business and professional equipment is NEVER covered by a HO policy, so if you main gig is a musician, get instrument insurance.

#25 ·
I spent a lot of time researching this about a year ago. My homeowner's insurance is through State Farm and they do not cover musical instruments. I went back and forth with them many times and they just will not cover them. Many people said good things about Clarion so I went with them. I have not had a claim, but so far their service has been excellent. I spoke to a real person who addressed all my issues and explained everything to me. I have had to update the policy a few times as I have bought and sold some horns and it is very easy, you just email them with the changes and they send a confirmation email back in a few days when the changes have been made. If you are insuring a horn for less than $5000 you do not need an appraisal. You just declare a value and pay the premium they calculate based upon that value. The only thing that is not covered is damage from a flood.

#26 ·
Mine are insured, but I also lock them up, especially if I have to leave them in the car when I run into the store on the way home. Last night, I locked my contrabass clarinet, on the stand, to a chair on the stage when I had to leave for a bit. The rehearsal area is supposedly secure (like a car is secure), so I prefer to have things locked up. I use something like this and keep one in the case and one in the car to make sure there's always one around. Cheap insurance.

https://www.amazon.com/Kensington-C...&qid=1498244949&sr=8-2&keywords=computer+lock

Mark

#38 ·
Here's an example of a Homeowner policy endorsement that increases coverage for business property to $10,000.00 on premises and $1,000.00 away from premises (bolded). This is a proprietary endorsement that this particular group of insurance companies adds to their homeowner's policy, many companies have similar enhancements available.

SECTION I COVERAGE C - PERSONAL PROPERTY
Special Limits of Liability
We will pay up to $1,000 for money, bank notes, bullion, and gold other than gold ware, silver other than silver
ware, platinum, coins and medals.
We will pay up to $5,000 for securities, accounts, deeds, evidences of debt, letters of credit, notes other than
bank notes, manuscripts, passports, tickets and stamps.
We will pay up to $3,000 for watercraft, including their trailers, equipment and outboard motors.
We will pay up to $3,000 for trailers not used with watercraft.
We will pay up to $5,000 per occurrence for loss by theft, losing, or misplacing jewelry, watches, furs,
precious and semi-precious stones.
We will pay up to $3,000 for loss by theft of firearms.
We will pay up to $5,000 for loss by theft of silver ware, silver-plated ware, gold ware, gold-plated ware and
pewter ware. This limit includes flat ware, tea sets, trays and trophies made of or including silver, gold or
pewter.
We will pay up to $10,000 for property, on the "residence premises," used at any time or in any manner for
any "business" purpose.
We will pay up to $1,000 for property, away from the "residence premises," used at any time or in any
manner for any "business" purpose. This limit does not apply to loss to adaptable electronic equipment as
described in Special Limits 10. and 11.

We will pay up to $2,000 for electronic equipment in or upon a motor vehicle, as described on Forms HO 00
03, HO 00 04 or HO 00 06.
We will pay up to $2,000 for electronic equipment not in or upon a motor vehicle, as described on Forms HO
00 03, HO 00 04 or HO 00 06.

#39 ·
I did add jewelry into our homeowner policy. I own a 4 carat diamond ring worth over 40k, and my homeowners insurance covers it from theft, loss or robbery. It was a wise move to only pay around 350 yr since the value of the stone is always outgaining the cost of insurance accrued over time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.