Sax on the Web Forum banner

transposition alto sax

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Fader 
#1 ·
Hi all

I am beginner player in alto sax .. I can play from the music sheet ,, but i dont have the experience that allow me to play by my ear ..
So,here in my country we dont have any sax players .. even the music we dont play this kind of instrument ...
usually we play Piano , violin , cello , guitar ,, etc
we have beautiful song that I want to play in my alto sax ..
I need it know what is the best way to transpose alto sax ... is it from violin music sheet or piano ,,,
what is the easiest way and similar music sheet to alto ,,,
I have heard from my friend that violin music sheet is similar to sax music sheet ?
is it true ?

with best of regards ,,

#3 ·
ummm you have not got my question ,,, I know that the alto sax in different key which is in Eb ...
but my questions is If i need to transpose the music sheet... which instrument that i need to pick it up? ... is Piano or violin ( i know all violin and piano and guitar in the same key which is C ) but the easiest way for me is the Villon or piano ... etc ,,
bestof regards

#10 ·
But piano music would transpose the same, up a major 6 for alto saxophone.

The main difficulty would be that there would be more than one note at a time, or at least distinguishing the melody line form accompaniment
yes that what i mean exactly ,,, so , need your advice which instrument it easy to read and transpose ... the piano there are two line at the same time .. and guitar there something related to fingering stile ... so I am just confused which instrument i can pick it up for transposition

#11 ·
yes that what i mean exactly ,,, so , need your advice which instrument it easy to read and transpose ...
In my experience any concert pitch instrument is easiest to transpose, as it is up a major 6. Other instruments, e.g. Trumpet I find harder because I'm more used to transposing concert pitch.

Phrasing is irrelevant in this context.

#5 · (Edited)
I guess it will depend on the genre. I'm guessing that you want certain pieces, standards, folk music, classical works- that transfer the tune suitably from piano, etc, to your horn, and achieve a similar effect.

To read 'at sight' from violin, etc, to alto could be fiddly, a minor third down. An original part in C major, for instance, would have to be A major on the alto. Longer term, the best way is to crack general transposition theory. There are loads of websites, i.e. http://musictheoryblog.blogspot.co.uk/2008/02/music-theory-transposition.html and, of course, Mr Thomas's link, as above!

I was taught one trick, though by a music teacher and bassist- take a suitable line on cello or other bass clef instrument- in bass clef, in, for example, G major. Read it instead as treble clef. Add three sharps. The note G in bass now reads as E, and is in E major- i.e., a C concert part onto alto or baritone key.

It can be tricky with lots of accidentals, but can be handy for gigs where the parts aren't all available. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.