Thread: A shock

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A shock

I went to my nino case yesterday after a few weeks and took out the piece ( a metal Yana) I had put a new Vando reed on it just to keep the lig and cap on. When I pull the FL smart cap off I was amazed to see a small string like thing hanging off the reed and the reed chewed up. I can only assume this was some kind of maggot or bug. I keep my pieces very clean and as I said it was a new reed. I have heard about bugs before eating pads but not reeds. I'm at a loss.

I immediately washed the piece and left it outside the case. I've never experienced anything like this before. The nino is the only piece I keep a wooden reed on to keep the lig and cap secure.. never again. Any insight? It put me about I must confess. I wonder if it could already have been in the reed..weird.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: A shock

Apparently it can happen. From 2011......... http://www.abrsm.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=48049

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

take picture of the offending bug.

I suppose it is now a beautiful butterfly (or more probably some very small beetle) and flew away.

Organic reeds for sure!
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post
    take picture of the offending bug.

I suppose it is now a beautiful butterfly (or more probably some very small beetle) and flew away.

Organic reeds for sure!

Maybe it was trying to play a beatles song.............
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights, I'm afraid of widths" ~ Steven Wright.

Forum Contributor 2014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks.. Like the humour too... I think reading that report it was already present in the reed and came to life. It was a thin stringy yellowy cream colour ( like a maggot). Nothing in the reed case that's in a pocket in the case cover. Hope it's a one off. " You can drive out nature with a pitchfork but it always comes roaring back again" Tom Waits.

I've use man made reeds on everything for a while now and if I could get a man made nino reed guess what I would use those too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can try Eb clarinet reds on sopranino

https://www.reeds-direct.co.uk/leger...inet-reed.html
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fascinating (if creepy) topic. I suppose the tropical weather (UK, generally) hasn't helped.

Regarding sopranino reeds- I've just dug my old 'nino out of the cupboard, and was about to buy a box. I read a few comments on here (I believe it was the estimable Pete Thomas I first read) with suggestions including clarinet reeds.

I lopped a few millimeters from the vamp of one test reed, and it works a treat.

Forum Contributor 2014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got some Legere Eb reeds . It's the only Legere that works for me. I use Fibracell on my other reeds. I think I tried the alternate reeds on my sopranino sax before and went back to regular reeds. It goes back to my old complaint that the sopranino isn't taken seriously by reed makers other than Vandoren and Alexander. Vandos are ok though preferably without a guest on board.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've heard that the high pitch of the sopranino bugs a lot of people. I guess this is a sign that you need to work on your intonation.
    'How far y'all going?' Ruby asked us with a sigh.
    'We're going all the way 'till the wheels fall off and burn.
    Till the sun peels the paint and the seat covers fade and the water moccasin dies'.

Forum Contributor 2014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Is All View Post
    I've heard that the high pitch of the sopranino bugs a lot of people. I guess this is a sign that you need to work on your intonation.
    haha cool... I was waiting for one like that

Forum Contributor 2014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I did. They are some in my plastic nino reed case but I'm going to chuck them in case they are infested. My VI tenor and alto necks are both bugged but this is ridiculous..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

H202

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and what would that ( hydrogen peroxide) do to insects aside for drowning then in an expensive liquid? If you want to drown them they die in water too and that is cheaper than peroxide.

Actually one of the best thing to kill most insects (which breathe through pores , spiracles, on their exoskeleton) are oils. They form a film on their exoskeleton blocking the spiracles and the insect can’t breathe.

Very ecologic way to control insects.

https://extension.colostate.edu/docs...sect/05569.pdf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and what would that ( hydrogen peroxide) do to insects aside for drowning then in an expensive liquid? If you want to drown them they die in water too and that is cheaper than peroxide.

Actually one of the best thing to kill most insects (which breathe through pores , spiracles, on their exoskeleton) are oils. They form a film on their exoskeleton blocking the spiracles and the insect can’t breathe.

That might not be good for the reeds - I really don't know - but it would probably save the reed case.

H2O2 attacks many materials, including many organic materials, because of its chemical instability. This is why it is not actually good to use it on cuts: in most cases, it is at least as harmful to your cells as to the potentially infectious organisms.
    Some gardeners spray hydrogen peroxide in the soil to protect from surface and near-surface insects. It kills the bugs, but it will react or otherwise break down before the plants absorb it.
    H2O2 is especially useful because it breaks down into water and O2 when exposed to light, if it doesn't react with anything first.

Most peroxides bleach cellulose (cellulose is one of the most common materials in plants ie reeds) rather than destroying it, and even that usually requires a relatively long exposure.
    I use H2O2 to rescue my reeds from small mold colonies, which is fortunately the only thing I've ever found growing on them. I gently scrape off surface growth by dragging a razor blade across the surface with the edge angled slightly back, plop them in a shallow bowl with regular OTC 3-5% peroxide solution until they stop foaming, rinse and gently rub with my finger to get the crap off, then soak briefly in clean water to get whatever other crap I can out. For bugs you might want to increase the peroxide soak time, but it should still work.
    For the reed cases you can do peroxide, isopropyl alcohol, Lysol, Windex, vodka... basically any household disinfectant except bleach, which may mess with the plastic. Same goes for the mouthpiece itself.
    Good luck.
    "If you ever go a whole night without messing up at least a half-dozen times, you're doing something wrong!"
    _____- Hank Carter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lots of people use peroxide to sanitize their reeds. (search the archives there must be at least 1000 threads...)

But this is not the object of this discussion centered on insects attacking the reeds and for that purpose is hydrogen peroxide (or other disinfectants ) not very useful.

Incidentally, any good mouthwash (even cheap one) containing chlorhexidine works very well for disinfection (but bugs are a different matter!).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oil is great for killing mosquito larvae.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lots of people use peroxide to sanitize their reeds. (search the archives there must be at least 1000 threads...)
    But this is not the object of this discussion centered on insects attacking the reeds and for that purpose is hydrogen peroxide (or other disinfectants ) not very useful.
    Incidentally, any good mouthwash (even cheap one) containing chlorhexidine works very well for disinfection (but bugs are a different matter!).
    I mentioned in my post, gardeners use H2O2 to kill bugs in soil. Eggs and larvae are very susceptible. Adults will survive being sprayed (as in a garden), but a brief dip in the stuff will flood and destroy the tracheal (respiratory) system.
    It should work just as well on reed bugs.

Just saw that the OP decided to throw out the rest of the box though, so it might not matter. I didn't notice that before.
    "If you ever go a whole night without messing up at least a half-dozen times, you're doing something wrong!"
    _____- Hank Carter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IBeOmega View Post
    I mentioned in my post, gardeners use H2O2 to kill bugs in soil. Eggs and larvae are very susceptible. Adults will survive being sprayed (as in a garden), but a brief dip in the stuff will flood and destroy the tracheal (respiratory) system.
    It should work just as well on reed bugs.

Just saw that the OP decided to throw out the rest of the box though, so it might not matter. I didn't notice that before.
    Will it kill ants if you spay them with a diluted solution of peroxide and water. We have an infestation of ants coming into the kitchen and so far the only thing that works well is to spray them with lemon juice diluted in water. The acid kills them. You can also use plain white vinegar, but the smell is obnoxious to me so LJ is better.
    'How far y'all going?' Ruby asked us with a sigh.
    'We're going all the way 'till the wheels fall off and burn.
    Till the sun peels the paint and the seat covers fade and the water moccasin dies'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Is All View Post
    Will it kill ants if you spay them with a diluted solution of peroxide and water. We have an infestation of ants coming into the kitchen and so far the only thing that works well is to spray them with lemon juice diluted in water. The acid kills them. You can also use plain white vinegar, but the smell is obnoxious to me so LJ is better.
    Don't know but it will disrurpt their acidic chemical communication since H202 is alkaline. I use ammonia.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast