Sax on the Web Forum banner

A shock

5K views 54 replies 14 participants last post by  Jazz Is All 
#1 ·
I went to my nino case yesterday after a few weeks and took out the piece ( a metal Yana) I had put a new Vando reed on it just to keep the lig and cap on. When I pull the FL smart cap off I was amazed to see a small string like thing hanging off the reed and the reed chewed up. I can only assume this was some kind of maggot or bug. I keep my pieces very clean and as I said it was a new reed. I have heard about bugs before eating pads but not reeds. I'm at a loss.

I immediately washed the piece and left it outside the case. I've never experienced anything like this before. The nino is the only piece I keep a wooden reed on to keep the lig and cap secure.. never again. Any insight? It put me about I must confess. I wonder if it could already have been in the reed..weird.

#39 ·
yes, but there is an higher chance that it was somewhere already there, in the hose, that anything could have survived in a, nitrogen filled, sealed bag.

I am sure that, clean though your house is, that you, like everyone else, have the occasional bug flying in?

I certainly do. All sorts of, bugs, great and small.

I don't mean to cast aspersions but we, on our bodies, have living bugs too, no matter how much you wash.

Have you ever heard of what lives in human eyebrows and faces?

Get prepared to be even more shocked.

https://www.thoughtco.com/bugs-in-our-eyebrows-1968600

#43 ·
Spay a creature that small proved to be too difficult and time consuming in the end, even after I managed to find a scalpel small enough to operate on them with. So I think I'll go for the hammer next. It seems more sporting, don't you agree? Kind of like that arcade game of hitting the big worms on their heads when they pop up. Plus, my wife didn't like my spraying water with lemon juice all along the baseboards and then sprinkling cinnamon all over it also. She hates the smell of cinnamon in addition to the sticky mess it made. That annoyed her. However, I left it for 2 days before cleaning up and lo and behold all the ants had fled and haven't been back since. So it definitely works. Next time I'll try that dietdelicious earth and Borat because that will be less messy.

#48 ·
In the early 70s I went to Toho La Brea movie theatre in LA.
It ran 1st run Japanese films like Mothra and Monster Zero.
All the patrons were Japanese (except myself and a friend).
They took these films very seriously.
If we chuckled they threw popcorn at us.

#50 ·
Have you considered that maybe it was trying to tell you something about your playing?

#54 ·
Well really it's all relative.. I don't think I would have a desire to go higher than nino into soprillo but my nino has a very warm musical sound now I got a good piece. It doesn't sound much different to soprano sax except mine only goes to Eb. It's a lovely instrument..a 1960 Selmer. I prefer it to my VI soprano which I'm selling. I think the sopranino is useful for alto/ baritone players I really do.

#55 ·
Just watch your back so you aren't bushwhacked by Mothra and her babies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.