Sax on the Web Forum banner

What Conn Selmer is this FA?

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  JayeLID 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I like that you thought the famous plastic guard was a film wrapping the horn.

If I had access to this horn I’d buy in a split second. The 28M is one of the best horns ever made ( and very rare).

The Plastic guard is available at some cost from few sources.

#5 ·
Second rarest Conn alto there is, the 26M is actually rarer.

A horn with a serial # that places it at 1949. With the marching band engraving ?

I have a 28M or two before, I don't recall them having that marching band engraving for sure. I thought that came later, like the 60's. The leaf motif was on 'em, however.

So it could possibly be that it was one left over which Conn eventually sold in the 70's/80's thus added their contemporary engraving to....or it could be a previous owner just liked the engraving style and added it him/herself (although I seriously doubt the latter) ?

#6 ·
Not in my part of the world where I see regularly 26M (if you want to buy one Jaye, let me know, I’ll see what I can do to accommodate you) and 30M ( they are only expensive here but not rarer than a 28M) and have seen a 28M only 3 times in over 10 years.

The engraving doesn’t look kosher.

#12 ·
Jaye,

Those two you refurbed must have been real rarities. I have two 28Ms and they both have the marching band engraving, and every 28M I have ever seen on the Interwebz did too. Did you happen to take any pictures of yours, because I would love to see one with different engraving. I don't think the year matters much, as they were only made from 1949-1951.
(Just to be clear, since tone is hard to convey in typed posts, I am not being snarky. I greatly value your posts, and think you are one of the most knowledgeable posters on this forum as well as often a great "voice of reason." The 28M is one of my favorite horns, and I really would be extremely interested to see one with different engraving.)

#13 ·
No, thanks for the correction...I learn something new everyday (not really, but y'know...)

Well I know one I had had it's lacq completely stripped... so I suppose it's possible that whoever did that buffed out the engraving, although the foliage was left intact.

It wasn't a "different" engraving as far as the foliage, it had the same foliage motif; it was just absent of the marching band...

Interesting bit of info, thanks..as I really thought the company hadn't invented that engraving prior to the 60's...

#15 ·
No, thanks for the correction...I learn something new everyday (not really, but y'know...)

Well I know one I had had it's lacq completely stripped... so I suppose it's possible that whoever did that buffed out the engraving, although the foliage was left intact.

It wasn't a "different" engraving as far as the foliage, it had the same foliage motif; it was just absent of the marching band...

Interesting bit of info, thanks..as I really thought the company hadn't invented that engraving prior to the 60's...
My Conn 444N is from the 30s; and has it in the gold logo on the bell. (speaking of it I still need to find a barrel for it that fits; it came with a very short unmarked HR one.)
I've seen the logo in 30s catalogs before; too. Look at the top left of page 3 in this catalog from 1932: http://www.saxophone.org/museum/publications/id/195
They apparently used that logo for a rather long time; even longer than on instruments in their advertising.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.