Yamaha Tenor 82Z, F# Trill Key Problem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Yamaha Tenor 82Z, F# Trill Key Problem

I recently became the owner of a Yamaha Tenor 82Z. Over the years, I've usually brought a mouthpiece with me any time I went on a road trip. I stop into music shops and try different saxes. Consistently, I've found I really like the Yamaha tenors, and the 82Z has become a favourite. I've heard some say they find it "thin" sounding, but this has certainly not been my experience.

Initially, I was impressed with the smooth action and intonation. The "sound" was quite different than what I've been used to. As Laurie Anderson said: "Talking about music is like dancing about architecture!". Still, after a few weeks with this sax I believe the big difference is the "spread" or "focus" of the sound. I am using a Warburton LA 7*with a Rico Plasticover 3. This set up is allowing me now to cover some different styles and I'm really enjoying the range and quality of the tone.

However, there is one thing I really must fix. When I'm playing a low Eb or C, this brings my right fourth finger down a bit lower. Unfortunately, due to some poor hand position on my part I suspect, this will cause me to sometimes slightly open the F# trill key "bar". I've spent the last couple of weeks trying to address this problem, but years of playing have engrained a hand position that just doesn't work consistently on this sax due to the location of the F# trill key.

So, I'm wondering if anyone else is having the F# trill key issues. I did a search and there were a couple of posts that mention the key, but the complaints seemed to be more cosmetic in nature

I don't use the key that often, and am considering having my tech bend it down so I don't touch it during passages that include the baby finger Eb and C.

My search on this subject revealed really only one player addressing this issue. Raspberry 007 posted in 2009, a desire to "do something" with this key. I could care less if it has a pearl on it or the shape of the key. I just need it out of the way. I have a big hand with shorter fingers, and the Yamaha ergonomics feel great to me, with the exception of this annoying key.

My initial plan was to sell this sax to get a bari. Now, I'm not so sure, as I'm really enjoying the sax. I'm thinking that bending the bar down just a bit would solve the issue and shouldn't harm the resale down the road, should I decide to sell it.

It would be great to hear from any others who have experienced the F# trill key issue.
    Tenor: Saxart Creative Tenor Silverplate, Warburton LA 8, ED Rovner lig., Just Joe's Neckstrap!
    Alto: Selmer Mk VI, Barone Vintage, ED Rovner lig
    Soprano: Jupiter 947, Bari HR, ED Rovner lig

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Yamaha Tenor 82Z, F# Trill Key Problem

Disclaimer: I have large hands and don't play Yamahas.

Have you considered adjusting the thumb hook to modify the angle of your right hand? I have found such adjustments to be extremely beneficial on other horns with similar "issues".
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

As a Veteran for Peace, I am already against the next war.

Distinguished SOTW Technician. southfloridahorns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The key can be bent, but it's better to have your tech do it.

You can do bend the lever down toward the body. If you do this, you'll probably need to use a thinner bumper to compensate. Either shave some of the cork (if the bumper's made from cork) or replace it with thinner material. If you need to bend the key a lot, your tech can remove some brass from the bottom of the lever; there's usually more than enough material available to do this without making the key too thin. Done competently, it will look good.

You can also try bending the lever towards the top (north) end of the sax or towards the bottom (south) end of the sax. Either with or without bending the lever toward the body.

Another compromise I've seen is to simply wedge the key shut with a cork to disable the key completely. Not crazy about this idea, since the chromatic F# key is useful for some passages, but I've seen players do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
    Have you considered adjusting the thumb hook to modify the angle of your right hand? I have found such adjustments to be extremely beneficial on other horns with similar "issues".
    This is a great suggestion. Many sax players don't consider how much this can affect your right hand position.

Another idea...the low Eb and low C levers can be bent or built up with epoxy so your little finger reaches them easier. But it's probably easier to just address the F# lever (if the thumb rest trick doesn't work).
    Scott Ankrom, Woodwind and Brass Repair Technician
    www.southfloridahorns.com
    Everything from minor adjustments to complete restorations, custom mods, mouthpiece work, etc...

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

those 2 answering posts say it all....

cheers,philip
    philip from down-under
    secondhandsaxes.com.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes I do the same thing on my 62 tenor, which I believe has the exact same keywork. When this happens I just focus on rounding out my fingers more, which my teacher suggests I do anyway. If you do need it out of the way then posts #2 and 3 answer your question.
    Yamaha YTS-62iii tenor/Paraschos Selmer Neck/Vandoren T20/Vandoren MO/L�g�re Signature Series 3.5
    Cannonball BBSS Brute alto/Vandoren AL5/Vandoren MO/L�g�re Signature Series 3.5
    Buffet Prodige clarinet/Vandoren Masters CL6/Vandoren MO/L�g�re Signature Series 3.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the responses. I moved the thumb rest as far as it would go toward the key pearls. A half hour of blowing revealed this to be close to a solution. I only hit the trill key now on quick jumps down to Eb and sometimes D. The C seems great. As it is just a slight contact with my fourth finger, I going to try building up the D pearl a bit to see if that will do the trick. It may be an easier fix than bending the trill key (which I would not attempt to do myself). Perhaps it wouldn't be too difficult to remove the D key pearl and put a lift under it. I'm getting close to solving this. The Selmer ergo setup never gave me this problem, but the trill key location is different and the D pearl seems to be a bit closer to the E pearl. I've got a strange hand! (two of them, actually!)
    Tenor: Saxart Creative Tenor Silverplate, Warburton LA 8, ED Rovner lig., Just Joe's Neckstrap!
    Alto: Selmer Mk VI, Barone Vintage, ED Rovner lig
    Soprano: Jupiter 947, Bari HR, ED Rovner lig

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good to hear its working out....
    cheers,philip
    philip from down-under