SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Forum Contributor 2014-2017 Dana in Philly's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Advertisers' banner ads replaced by garbage google(?) ads

Run a quick test. Visit the forum without logging in. Then log in, refresh your browser, and see if the visuals differ.

I've found this to be the case recently: super crappy ads all over without logging in; better if I'm logged in.

Kinda think the new owners are trying too hard on the monetization thing, but maybe that's just me.
    As darkness comes, the center fails.
    Play until there's no one left to listen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree on the garbage. We're saxophone players; won't we be more enticed by instrument ads than ads for cornhole boards?
    Yamaha YTS-62iii tenor/Paraschos Selmer Neck/Vandoren T20/Vandoren MO/L�g�re Signature Series 3.5
    Cannonball BBSS Brute alto/Vandoren AL5/Vandoren MO/L�g�re Signature Series 3.5
    Buffet Prodige clarinet/Vandoren Masters CL6/Vandoren MO/L�g�re Signature Series 3.5

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Christian1 View Post
    I agree on the garbage. We're saxophone players; won't we be more enticed by instrument ads than ads for cornhole boards?
    Right, I would occasionally click on the instrument/gear ads, but what is the point of these new ads?

The real problem for me is that they seem to be poison to this old iPad -- making it slow and crash-prone as these ads try to load...
    64K Tenor - FocusTone Standard .105
    Results not typical

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right. Very few of us care about and are likely to click through "You May Like" click-bait footer ads about what Kim Kardashian is wearing at Cannes and the like. So I suspect there's really very little click-through revenue to be had for the new owners there.

May I suggest a different monetization model? Forgive me if this is too bold of me:

1. Watch the threads. We occasionally talk about things we'd like to be able to get (sheet music, stands, reeds, vintage horns, etc.), and in such threads, folk often recommend where to get them.
    2. Reach out to the sources of those things, and offer ad placement space, reasonably priced.
    3. Suggest targeted discounts (e.g., 10% off on item X, to purchasers clicking through ad Y from SOTW).

Seems like a better fit to me. I'd be afraid to click any of the ads I sometimes see in the footer ad slider; looks like a great way to get a computer infection. But imagine if those ads were for Votaw Tool Co., Kessler, PM Woodwind, etc. ... I'd be tempted.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those are just place holder ads. Not sure what's going on with the advertisers that were there before, but they should be filled with more apropos ads in time.

Kevin

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VSadmin View Post
    Not sure what's going on with the advertisers that were there before, but they should be filled with more apropos ads in time.
    Kevin
    Kevin, if you don't know, who does?

Administrator
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dana in Philly View Post
    Right. Very few of us care about and are likely to click through "You May Like" click-bait footer ads about what Kim Kardashian is wearing at Cannes and the like. So I suspect there's really very little click-through revenue to be had for the new owners there.

May I suggest a different monetization model? Forgive me if this is too bold of me:

1. Watch the threads. We occasionally talk about things we'd like to be able to get (sheet music, stands, reeds, vintage horns, etc.), and in such threads, folk often recommend where to get them.
    2. Reach out to the sources of those things, and offer ad placement space, reasonably priced.
    3. Suggest targeted discounts (e.g., 10% off on item X, to purchasers clicking through ad Y from SOTW).

Seems like a better fit to me. I'd be afraid to click any of the ads I sometimes see in the footer ad slider; looks like a great way to get a computer infection. But imagine if those ads were for Votaw Tool Co., Kessler, PM Woodwind, etc. ... I'd be tempted.
    so those 'you may like' ads that you see (usually at the bottom) are for users not logged in. there are several sites with them, they are one of the big ad partners for many sites.

as for your suggestions:

1. many of the google ads that you notice that are out of context to site are based on the user's interests (sometimes not accurate) but they are decided by what google analytics think might peak your interest. so if you suddenly see ads about wine or lenovo laptops, it might be because you were looking at what wine to use for making stew or was browsing on bestbuy on another tab or something.
    2. we do have a sales team that does call around to see we can pull some vendors/advertisers in to buy ad space. this is a longer process since there's a lot of negotiation and contracts to sign. we're working on this one.
    3. this is a great suggestion although the hardest to apply. suggesting an advertiser to offer a discount to users while they pay for ad space isn't often a deal on their end.

thank you for your suggestions though

@Harri Rautiainen

Kevin means that there's another team thats dedicated to reaching out to advertisers. if there's a specific one you want to ask about, you can let us know and we'll reach out to our sales team for a status update but we don't the information at hand.

Lee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so those 'you may like' ads that you see (usually at the bottom) are for users not logged in. there are several sites with them, they are one of the big ad partners for many sites.
    Understood. Downside is this discourages quick visits without logging in. Also discourages lurkers who may later become users. What's the upside? Do folks actually click on these huge footer ads? I presume your ad revenue on these things is click-through based.

as for your suggestions:

1. many of the google ads that you notice that are out of context to site are based on the user's interests (sometimes not accurate) but they are decided by what google analytics think might peak your interest. so if you suddenly see ads about wine or lenovo laptops, it might be because you were looking at what wine to use for making stew or was browsing on bestbuy on another tab or something.
    Understood. They're usually out of context for me, since I do a lot of things to forestall tracking -- I find it creepy.

2. we do have a sales team that does call around to see we can pull some vendors/advertisers in to buy ad space. this is a longer process since there's a lot of negotiation and contracts to sign. we're working on this one.
    Excellent. Takes more work, but I suspect is more likely to produce click-throughs. Just a thought: you could probably poll the users and we'd tell you scores of prospects you could contact. Simply start a thread: who would you like to see advertising here? You could show the results to prospects....

3. this is a great suggestion although the hardest to apply. suggesting an advertiser to offer a discount to users while they pay for ad space isn't often a deal on their end.
    It has to be tested as a short promo, to see if it in fact drives traffic and revenue. If it does, expand.

thank you for your suggestions though
    Thanks for keeping the forum up, Lee.

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Understood. Downside is this discourages quick visits without logging in.
    Why not just stay permanently logged in. Is there any advantage in actually logging out between visits?
    TamingTheSaxophone.com & PPT Mouthpieces
    Tone Without Tears: No more boring long notes | BEGINNERS' DVD & ONLINE TUTORIALS | CDs, BACKING TRACKS & SHEET MUSIC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    Why not just stay permanently logged in. Is there any advantage in actually logging out between visits?
    I use a somewhat paranoid security level for the web. I don't think it's generally a very safe or secure place.

So I don't store passwords in a browser, which is what would be required to log in permanently (either that, or just leave a tab open, but I wouldn't do that either). I keep my passwords in a separate, encrypted password manager, and manually log in and out if I feel I have something to say. I usually just browse by SOTW without logging in first.

I take other steps as well:

- I clear the browser's cache and delete all Flash cookies (I don't use Silverlight, but if I did, I'd clear those too) after I leave a site, *every time*, using scripts, so that each time I come to a site, it's with a fresh, empty browser without any history.

- I often use TOR (am doing so now). At the moment, according to the TOR browser, my https data is being routed from my PC in Pennsylvania, to France, then to Germany, then to SOTW, so that my ISP (Comcast) can't datamine my browsing.

Sounds a bit paranoid, I know.

Nevertheless, I'd be happy to patronize saxophone-related advertisers who place ads here on SOTW, to help support the forum. I've supported the forum in the past, and will do so in the future.

I just don't think the web is a safe space, and don't think datamining is a good thing for our society. I believe it is being used, in conjunction with targeted social media messaging, to mess with elections in democracies, and affected the results of the 2016 U.S. election.

SOTW Columnist
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just don't think the web is a safe space, and don't think datamining is a good thing for our society.
    Agree. But paranoid about this stuff as I am, I never thought to take all the precautions you cite in your post above. Maybe I'll have to rethink some of it. I always stay logged in here, but I don't use the same password anywhere else.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh and if you have any advertisers or forum users who would like to be a vendor that you think would like to be a part of the forum, please let us know, we can give them a call/email.

Lee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just saw this Lee. I'd be happy to help with that.

What do you think is best? Post suggestions here in this thread, so others can chime in? Or PM you?

Administrator
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Either way. Thread might be better I guess, but doesn't make much difference to us

Kevin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK Kevin/Lee,

I'm approaching this as follows: who would I like to see advertising here, in banner ads, sidebar ads, embedded ads, or slider ads? Were I attempting to monetize the forum, these are the entities I'd be chatting up to place advertisements:

SOURCES FOR REPAIRS / REFURBISHED / USED HORNS:
    2ndending.com
    Kessler (already an advertiser)
    PM Woodwinds
    Saxalley.com
    Saxgourmet.com
    Saxquest
    Secondhandsaxes.com
    Stohrermusic.com
    Tenormadness.com
    USAHorn
    Vintagesax.com

(A note here: I've tried to include folks who have at least a virtual shopfront. There are a number of folk who flip horns here, but as far as I know, lack a virtual or brick and mortar shopfront. I suppose such folk wouldn't be interested in purchasing ad space, since there is no place to direct a click.)

SOURCES FOR NEW HORNS:
    Amati
    Antigua
    Borgani
    Barone
    Cannonball
    Chateau
    Getasax.com
    Jupiter
    Keilwerth / Buffet-Crampon
    Kessler
    Lien Cheng
    saxophone.co.uk
    Selmer
    P Mauriat
    Rampone & Cazzani
    Tenormadness.com
    USAHorn
    Viking
    Yamaha
    Yanagisawa

SOURCES FOR TOOLS:
    Votaw Tool Co.
    musicmedic.com

SOURCES FOR MOUTHPIECES:
    Drake
    10MFan
    Sopranoplanet.com

(There are many more. Suggestions, anyone?)

EDUCATORS:
    Tim Price
    Neffmusic.com
    Pete Thomas

(Who'd I forget?)

SOURCES FOR EQUIPMENT:
    Here I'm ignorant, but I'd love to see advertisers for DAWS, studio equipment, amplification and performance equipment, etc., as well as reeds, stands, straps, cases. Perhaps others will give some suggestions....

OK? Hopefully I haven't offended anyone. Hopefully this will get a bit of a conversation started, and other folk will offer suggestions -- for example, about prospective advertisers located in Europe, Australia, or Asia.

Distinguished SOTW member/
    Official SOTW Sister
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really don't need to see ads for KY, menopause remedies, martial arts schools, and clothing for women under 30 years or 110lbs.
    I'm logged in all the time and it's getting old...
    Old reed players are like fine wine. They only get better with age. Tom Hagen

Play the Music, not the instrument.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bandmommy View Post
    I really don't need to see ads for KY, menopause remedies, martial arts schools, and clothing for women under 30 years or 110lbs.
    You should see the junk in the Taboola footer slider I was seeing a moment ago (before I logged in to reply to you): a racoon, a giant Australian crab climbing a garbage pail, young and older images of Helen Mirren, an ad for skorts. I mean, really, how is any of this interesting to saxophonists? It's just wasted space at best, a turn-off at worst.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bandmommy View Post
    You should see the junk in the Taboola footer slider I was seeing a moment ago (before I logged in to reply to you): a racoon, a giant Australian crab climbing a garbage pail, young and older images of Helen Mirren, an ad for skorts. I mean, really, how is any of this interesting to saxophonists? It's just wasted space at best, a turn-off at worst.
    those taboola ads.... I don't know how they run but we recommend users to stay logged in to avoid those. Also, if you don't log in and you consistently clear your cache and cookies, you'll always get weird ads that may not relate to you.

Lee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tilting at Windmills. Re: Advertisers' banner ads replaced by garbage google(?) ads

those taboola ads.... I don't know how they run but we recommend users to stay logged in to avoid those. Also, if you don't log in and you consistently clear your cache and cookies, you'll always get weird ads that may not relate to you.

Lee
    Yeah, I understand that Lee, and I can stop it with No-Script, but my question is: Why run crap ads unrelated to the subject matter of your site? Do these unrelated-to-the-site-content ads really generate enough click-through revenue to make them worth the degree to which they push away users interested in the site's actual content?

Why would you want to code something stinky into your site that you have to advise your site users to avoid (by logging in)??? It's like a pub owner telling would-be patrons not to look in the window to see if folk are having a good time, but to make sure they come fully inside, to avoid tripping over the smelly drunk lying in front of the pub door.

Is the answer "Well, everybody does it these days."?

And so we end up with a web covered with Taboola garbage in its footers.