Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Forestone Mouthpiece Patches Review

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur Weltklang View Post
    A year later and my patch-free mouthpiece is still showing no teeth marks
    That's a good sign; it means you aren't biting. However, I don't use a patch to prevent tooth marks. I just find it more comfortable, even when just lightly resting my teeth on top of the mpc.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member Turnaround's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I chipped my front tooth on a fork years ago. After that, I dug into every mouthpiece I own way too fast. Patches help that a lot. That forking fork!!

I just ordered 2 clear packs. $9.95 (reduced from $14.95). I have no issues with the price if I can get a good year of use out of a few.

Distinguished SOTW Member. Wilbur Weltklang's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JL View Post
    That's a good sign; it means you aren't biting. However, I don't use a patch to prevent tooth marks. I just find it more comfortable, even when just lightly resting my teeth on top of the mpc.
    Yeah of course we all have differing tastes etc.
    Funny thing is that the patch would deform and had a definite groove where my teeth went.
    Perhaps it's having that flexible patch that invokes the biting?

cheers, Mark.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post
    The email was from Germany so I assumed they use different words that mean different things over there. I can't speak about if the material is harder or not. I use to bite through patches when I was younger but havn't bit through one since I switched to the 3M patches years ago. I haven't put a mark in any of these either but maybe you play with more pressure or your teeth are sharper so I don't know. Steve
    Hi Steve.

To my knowledge, the market has seen three types of pad. Silicon, Rubber and Vinyl.

I was pretty hacked off a year or so ago ...as BG stopped production of its 14L Pad . This was a 0.3.5 mm pad made of black Vinyl with a face up textured finish.

I have to use other pads now, but None of them are as good as BG's Vinyl pad ...and come to think of it, it was the Only vinyl pad I have ever known of.

Maybe they lasted too long for them to be profitable... I wish they had kept making them and just put the price up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same here. I have a patch on my JJ DV Chi that I have been playing almost daily (several times a week at least) which I put on the piece when I bought it in 2008. I scrub the piece down with a soft bristled toothbrush about once a week to keep it clean but otherwise nothing special. I suspect the adhesive will eventually let go and I'll need to replace it.

I'm interested to see how these compare to the BG and Vandoren patches I've used on many of my mouthpieces.

I bought a set of these;
    https://www.amazon.com/Vizcaya-Clari...9SCSVBHD6M9FFG

about 6 months ago figuring it was a really good deal at $6 for 16 patches but when I took them out of the packaging they had a very strong chemical smell like paint or formaldehyde or something. (At the time there were no Amazon reviews but since then several others have reported the same thing.) I don't go through these fast or often enough to warrant putting these in my mouth when none of the other name-brand patches I've ever bought smelled like that. They don't smell anymore so I guess they have finished out-gassing but I'm still not sure about using them long term.

SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur Weltklang View Post
    Perhaps it's having that flexible patch that invokes the biting?
    Good point, Mark. A patch could induce more biting, so you still have to beware of doing that. Without a patch, biting is very uncomfortable, but also on a bare mpc my teeth tend to slide around a bit which sort of induces biting. Uncomfortable either way. A patch solves those issues. Then again, way back when I first started playing I didn't know about patches and don't remember it being a problem. However, the first time I used a patch I never looked back.

I don't like them too thick or cushy, just thick enough for comfort and to prevent any slippage of my teeth. It'll be interesting to see how these Forestone patches work. I like the 3M, so it caught my attention that Steve prefers the Forestone to the 3M. I'll find out (for only $9.95).

Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...my teeth tend to slide around a bit which sort of induces biting. Uncomfortable either way. A patch solves those issues. Then again, way back when I first started playing I didn't know about patches and don't remember it being a problem. However, the first time I used a patch I never looked back.
    Mine too. Especially since I switched to my Warburton which doesn't have a bite plate. Back to the patch.

The guardala LT I was playing before it I never used a patch and it worked super well. Teeth didn't slide around. But it's coming up on 9 months now since I got the horn and the mouthpiece. Mouthpiece patch does indeed solve the sliding problem.
    Don't do drugs. Do Overtones.

Distinguished SOTW Member ratracer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the sound of these Forestone patches. Nice review and discussion!

I started off on the thin, clear Yamaha patches.

Then tried those patches by SoTW member Face Ache Mike. I'll never wear those out so not sure when I'd get a chance to try these Forestone types. I really like the idea of being so nicely removable though!

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ratracer View Post
    I like the sound of these Forestone patches. Nice review and discussion!

I started off on the thin, clear Yamaha patches.

Then tried those patches by SoTW member Face Ache Mike. I'll never wear those out so not sure when I'd get a chance to try these Forestone types. I really like the idea of being so nicely removable though!
    They're good for us guys with mouthpiece GAS...........

Distinguished SOTW Member ratracer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post
    They're good for us guys with mouthpiece GAS...........
    Yeah, that is soooo cool. Kind of the 3M sticky notepads for the saxophone!

And as far as GAS goes, man, you're in a league all your own!

It's a dirty job, demoing all those mouthpieces, but somebody has to do it!

SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got some of these patches and they are really very good. Just the right size and thickness, fairly thin but not quite as thin as the 3M patches, and very comfortable to use. And the adhesive seems to be a real high tech product that works incredibly well. It adheres firmly to the mpc, no slipping and it stays put, yet it can be peeled off (and re-used if you want), leaving no sticky residue. They also seem really sturdy so I suspect they last a long time. A really great product all around.

Thanks Steve for reviewing these.

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got some of these patches and they are really very good. Just the right size and thickness, fairly thin but not quite as thin as the 3M patches, and very comfortable to use. And the adhesive seems to be a real high tech product that works incredibly well. It adheres firmly to the mpc, no slipping and it stays put, yet it can be peeled off (and re-used if you want), leaving no sticky residue. They also seem really sturdy so I suspect they last a long time. A really great product all around.

Thanks Steve for reviewing these.
    Awesome! I'm curious what others think that have gotten them. I haven't put a mark in one yet. I have the clear ones also but haven't tried those yet.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta try these. I go through patches because one of my front teeth are slight longer than the other.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just ordered a packet of 6 for $9.95 with free shipping. Can't beat that!!
    It can:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/32-Mouthpiec...19.m1438.l2649

I use those for years and like them a lot. Probably not as good as the ones Steve reviewed, but I use 3 or 4 a year of them on my main piece and have them on all the other pieces of my big collection.

T : Selmer SBA serial 50xxx (1953) - Otto Link Florida no USA 10* - Rico Plasticover 2
    A : Klingsor serial 016xx (early 60's) - Otto Link STM 9* - Rico Royal 2.5
    SoundClick | SoundClip Index | YouTube | SOTW Blues (Round 8) | Mouthpiece/Sax Pictures

SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mrpeebee View Post
    It can:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/32-Mouthpiec...19.m1438.l2649

I use those for years and like them a lot. Probably not as good as the ones Steve reviewed, but I use 3 or 4 a year of them on my main piece and have them on all the other pieces of my big collection.
    Yeah, by 'can't beat that,' I didn't mean just the price. I put the relevant part of your quote in bold. But the Forestone still could be a better value if they last longer, work better (for ex, better feel), and leave no gluey residue on the mpc. I still can't say for sure how long they will last but after several weeks I see no indication of where my teeth rest (unlike the 3M patches which do show slight tooth marks fairly quickly) so they seem pretty durable. And even the 3M patches last at least a couple of years for me, playing daily. So if you're going through 3 or 4 of your patches a year on your main mpc, then I'd say the very low price for them is about right, given you'll need a lot of them.

The other thing about the Forestone patches (for those who haven't yet read Steve's review) is they can be peeled off and placed on another mpc and you can repeat that process numerous times with the same patch without any gummy residue being left behind, and yet they continue to stick very well without slipping. I don't know what sort of adhesive they use, but it's pretty amazing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Self-Deleted....wrong thread.
    'How far y'all going?' Ruby asked us with a sigh.
    'We're going all the way 'till the wheels fall off and burn.
    Till the sun peels the paint and the seat covers fade and the water moccasin dies'.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2