Phil Tone Rift vs Theo Wanne Durga Hr vs Theo Wanne Kali Hr alto

Forum Contributor 2013 Alexwan84's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Phil Tone Rift vs Theo Wanne Durga Hr vs Theo Wanne Kali Hr alto

Anyone had compare them side by side.

Was looking for something fat and mid bright sounding.

Alex
    Soprano: Yamaha YSS-475 - SopranoPlanet Via Coro
    Alto : Yanagisawa A901 w/A991 underslung neck - Theo Wanne Kali HR 7

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Phil Tone Rift vs Theo Wanne Durga Hr vs Theo Wanne Kali Hr alto

Never played a Kali before. The Rift is an amazing piece, and so is the Durga. They are pretty similar in my eyes, but the Durga is definitely brighter, a little too bright for me. Projection is pretty much the same, overall I like the Rift better.
    Soprano: Yamaha YSS-82ZUL, JodyJazz HR* 6*, Francois Louis Ultimate, D'Addario Jazz Select 3S Unfiled
    Alto: Selmer Mark VI 141xxx, Lamberson Fmaj7 .080", Francois Louis Ultimate, D'Addario Jazz Select 3S Unfiled
    Tenor: Selmer Mark VI 82xxx, Florida Link 7*, Selmer 404, D'Addario Jazz Select 3S Unfiled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Phil Tone Rift vs Theo Wanne Durga Hr vs Theo Wanne Kali Hr alto

I have not played a Kali, either. The HR Durga3 is a decent shelf baffle piece that I found disappointing and difficult to adjust to. The Rift on the other hand is an amazing mpc with its own unique sound that to the listener is both fat and bright. Behind the horn the fatness is not as obvious. It can function as a lead alto piece or in a Marc Russo-type situation. Extraordinarily playable, impeccable craftsmanship, even top to bottom, surprisingly fat LH side key notes, good altissimo, and superb intonation. And it's pretty loud compared to Meyer-type pieces. If you want still more brightness, I highly recommend the Woodstone HR Studio. No shelf baffle, but it is a screamer with character, and playability comparable to The Rift or my Meyer. No adjustment issues. Both Phil Engleman's and Woodstone's craftsmanship is top drawer. Between my NYUSA Meyer, The Rift,, and the Woodstone Studio, I feel I'm ready for any situation. The HR Durga3 is irrelevant.