Sax on the Web Forum banner

Tricky fingerings- any books for that?

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  LostConn 
#1 ·
I'm having trouble with some intervals, such a Bb to high E in particular today! Any suggestions for that and also any comprehensive chart of ideas for fingerings for difficult intervals?

#3 ·
I can do bis key and split one (like flute) for Bb, and the two I use for high E are probably what you're talking about (fork and the one with side keys)

#4 ·
For me the front E fingering is always rather stuffy. I only use it when I know I'm going to be playing up into the first altissimo notes. But if there is a specific phrase where it was easier I'd use it.

Bis Bb to Front E is probably the least taxing way to play those two notes (in regards to having to move a bunch of fingers).

#5 ·
Hi Littlewailer-that's what I think, too- but I am interested in Merlin's other possibilities- it's just really awkward. On alto those upper notes tend to go be flat- but I'm going to a new tech guy Wed. so maybe it's the horn- my breath support seems to be OK, just so difficult to lip up significantly in a fast passage with a difficult interval.

#6 ·
Bb to high E is definitely one of the more difficult intervals for me, too. I recently had to play a chart with Bb to high E in the middle of a soli, uptempo, and I was fumbling around. Usually what I do in those kinds of situations is try all the different fingerings to find the one that's most comfortable, taking into account the notes before and after the difficult interval--ie, if the Bb is preceded by an A, it might be easiest to use the side key Bb fingering, if the E is followed by an F it might be easiest to use the front E, etc. From then on it's just working with the metronome, trying to bring it up to tempo.

#7 ·
My first thought would be to play bis Bb, and play high E fingered as G#, but with the side E key also depressed. It takes a little practice to get that high E to pop out but it's well in tune on all my saxes. Of course this depends on what comes after.

#9 ·
I agree totally with Merlin. Going to front anything from a note where you're holding the B key (LH1) is extremely difficult to do cleanly, because you'd have to lift that finger and raise it to the Front F key without getting a note like like C# to pop out for a split second in between.

#10 ·
I agree with pretty much everything already said. Bis Bb to the "regular" high E is the easiest option. No shifting of anything in the right hand, and you'll find that going to front E is going to be nearly impossible from bis Bb. Going to front E from any of the other Bb fingerings is going to be unnecessarily difficult.

Another possibility that comes with a caveat is to use bis Bb and then finger high E by pressing the high F key alone with LH 3 (your ring finger). Pitch may be an issue, but on a lot of horns this can work.

#12 ·
I think I just recommended the Rubank Advanced Method for Saxophone Vol. I to someone here last week, but in any case this book (i) is dirt cheap and (ii) has pages and pages of intensive fingering exercises for tricky intervals. It also includes a comprehensive general fingering chart, if that would help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.