Sax on the Web Forum banner

What saxophone should I buy?

2K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  soybean 
#1 ·
Just want to know your opinions.
Should I get a used Yamaha or Selmer for $200 or buy a new not-name brand sax for the same price?
I don't have much money to spend, so I can't buy a new Yamaha or Selmer.
Thanks everybody :)

#2 ·
Where do you think you could find a used Selmer for $200 when you can't even get a Selmar Chinese-made sax for that price. Selmers of any model have not sold for $200 in more than 50 years. So unless you have a time machine you should scratch that fantasy. Ditto for Yamaha of which only student models sell at low prices used and even then they are usually above $350 or so. And I'm talking about altos, as tenors always are more expensive, i.e. bigger horn=bigger bucks. Do some research online and use the search function here because all this information has been answered a zillion times already and there is no need to start yet another thread on this topic.

#9 ·
Right now is actually the perfect time to buy. At the beginning of the summer, parents with kids that decided not to do band anymore are selling their student model yamahas for dirt cheap, probably for some quick vacation cash. I know, because I buy them, adjust them, and rent them to my summer students.

Check craigslist every few hours for a couple weeks and jump on any yamaha models: YAS-23 or YAS-200. YAS-21s' are older but solid if maintained. Last year I got a Yamaha YAS-200AD II for 200 dollars and my student was thrilled.
Selmer Bundys' are also super cheap but older and may require more maintenance.
Jupiters are pretty decent too.

In my humble opinion, don't get a no name horn, they sometimes come with major issues and are made of cheap, soft metal that comes out of adjustment really fast.

#15 ·
I think the best horn for $200 is probably the Nuvo Jsax. And you can buy it new!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.