Soundproofing a room?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Soundproofing a room?

I want to practice on my saxophone but I don't want to annoy my family or neighbors. Is there any way to soundproof a room or buy a sound booth? If so, how much would it cost?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Soundproofing a room?

Judging by your first couple posts, "what are scales and how are they used in improvising?" and "is there any way to soundproof a room," it seems that you have some very basic questions about getting started on the sax. Please realize that most of these questions have been asked and answered many times on this forum and elsewhere. Sometimes it's a good idea to do a search and see what information is available before starting a new thread.

Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm currently living in an apartment and I practice in my car (parked in the shade in the parking lot) - maybe that might be an interim solution ?

Soundproofing a room is very hard. You'll see from prior posts you either do something to dull the sound like playing in a closet full of coats, or if you want full soundproofing you buy a whisper room ($4k) or similar. There's not much of a mid point.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try a community college music department, music store studio, public school that has night classes and maybe even a business that is closed at night that may let you use a space.

Distinguished SOTW Member artstove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Movers blankets covering the walls are an inexpensive way to deaden/reduce the sound. They won't actually soundproof it, though.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our local library has a soundproof music room complete with a keyboard that can be reserved.

Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure of the effectiveness, but you can get some cheap acoustic foam from walmart https://www.walmart.com/ip/6Pcs-Wedg...-0-7/835444536 also look for it on other sites. Here is a tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmcjtRRK4PQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are trying to reduce noise transmission into or out of a room, "acoustic foam" i.e. egg crate shapes, are basically useless. The two key things that achieve soundproofing are adding mass to the walls, and eliminating noise leakage pathways (for example, ventilation, or cracks around doors). Unfortunately, adding mass and sealing leakage pathways gets expensive, troublesome, and irreversible real fast.

The eggcrate looking foam and similar products do not provide any significant degree of soundproofing i.e., resistance to transmission. What they do is cut reflection within the room, which is important in its own right, but is not the same thing as soundproofing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's why surrounding oneself with clothes in a closet works.

Forum Contributor 2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can't easily soundproof a room... Double walls filled with sand and a "floated" floor and ceiling will get most of it, but after you've spent all that money you'll just be upset that you couldn't really make it soundproof. Isolation booths also do a fair job, but they're fairly expensive and require some type of climate control.

Forum Contributor 2014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is another possibility that I used, not to make a music practice room, but when building my house which has a bathroom wall adjacent to the dining room. Not good, but it was an efficient design so I soundproofed the wall. I did the same for a shared bathroom adjacent to a bedroom. Some of the technique I used could work.

You can add a layer of drywall to the room's walls. It may be possible to reuse most of the window and door molding. Map out your stud plan and fasten the new panels up using a "soundproofing adhesive." I don't remember the brand that I used, but I learned that it looked identical to silicone glue at 3 times the price and it was green. What you do is put the glue on the back of the new drywall so that the main adhesion will be in between the studs in the wall. The panels are initially held in place with drywall screws, although in a reduced frequency to what you would normally use, maybe 8 screws per panel. Then, when the glue has set, those can be backed out 1/2 turn. What you end up with is additional mass (1/2 or 5/8th inch drywall panels) "suspended" from the original wall with a thin layer of vibration damping glue without a straight line path for the sound through the studs.

In addition, on my project I was building from scratch. I used a 2x6 toe plate which allowed me to offset and stagger the 2x4 studs. In other words, the drywall on one side was attached to a different stud from the drywall on the other side and the vibration transferred to the support stud didn't transfer to the other wall. I also snaked fiberglass insulation between the offset studs. More material costs and time in framing, but the soundproofing is impressive. The only downside is that my wife can't hear me yell "I need toilet paper!"

The time and cost of this type of remodel makes the other alternatives above attractive. Plus, as I learned, an amazing amount of sound will then seem like it is coming from the 1/4" gap under the door (a door which might also need to be soundproof).

Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never tried one, but there are practice cases that you put your sax into that are supposed to be very good sound mufflers. They look bulky and it must be clumsy as hell to really play your horn wearing one. I'll bet tone exercises are out, too.
    I felt that I might be bothering people when I started my sax journey too. I squeaked and squaked and fought that thing every time I picked it up. So what I did was to develop thick skin, and continued to practice. Slowly I got better. Then after a couple of years the complaints turned into complements. Now I go into my room and close the door and practice. The lesson I learned was this: I play music to make ME happy.

Forum Contributor 2017 sandster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some good ideas here, rairio. All depends where you are living, of course. Assuming that you are in an apartment, the problem is a difficult. I was in an apartment a year ago and tried rugs on the wall and, (the best solution), I bought a sax mute. This brought the sound volume down quite a lot. My new abode is a townhouse which connects to a neighbour. I have a double garage that opposes my neighbour's kitchen/living room. I've built myself a small practice room in the garage, with insulated walls. I used Roxul, (sp?) and old rags, (to insulate the cracks). It's been great! I can practice mornings and evenings without disturbing my spouse or neighbours. I scrounged the building materials from our thrift store, (except for the roxull and screws, and a door skin). For apartment practicing, I do recommend the sax mute. $400 for peace of mind. It's not going to make your sounds inaudible but much less pervasive.
    ?the sandster

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RairiO View Post
    I want to practice on my saxophone but I don't want to annoy my family or neighbors. Is there any way to soundproof a room or buy a sound booth? If so, how much would it cost?

Yes, of course. The most complete solution would simply be to build a room inside the room of your choice. A small 3x3 room might only be a few hundred dollars in lumber, insulation, drywall and screws. As you grow bigger so do your costs. Ventilation needs to be addressed otherwise it's like sitting in a hotbox after a short time. I'm sure you could visit your local lumberyard for a more exact figure.

Whisper Rooms/Isolation Booths are several thousand dollars. These solutions are attractive because they come ready to assemble. Here's an example that would reduce sound levels by halfish 0 https://www.amazon.com/Clearsonic-Is...s=whisper+room

On the cheap? Build a free standing box frame. Get some heavy quilts, moving blankets, sleeping bags, rugs or other thick dense fabrics and create a fort like a kid might create. Put that in a room that's not connected to a neighbor and give it a go. The fabrics will absorb some of the sound you're creating. Not massive amounts but some. I'd guess 10-20% reduction in sound volume outside the apartment??

Consider the direction you're facing when you play. Facing the exterior (window) of the apartment will have an impact on the volume heard outside of your abode when your playing.
    Closing all of the doors leading to your instrument will also effect the sounds ability to travel.

There are several good videos (I used tinyurl links as the original youtube shared links don't display on my android mobile devices) that describe sound proofing
    http://tinyurl.com/y9tnar8l - This guy built a room in his house within another room to allow him and friends to jam while leaving the rest of the house undisturbed.
    http://tinyurl.com/y8y4fcnx - Difference between Acoustic Treatment and Sound Proofing.
    http://tinyurl.com/ycebp2n8 - Review of Sound blankets to use for Acoustic room treatment in a recording studio
    http://tinyurl.com/ya2zoz6h - How to Make High Performance Sound Absorption Panels for $5

I'm sure you'll find your solution.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Minnesota; 06-19-2017 at 10:32 PM. Reason: updated links to display on mobile devices

Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've read this thread and others. I will be in an appartment but still need to test mouthpieces. Will a 4x4 room within a room do the trick. I have picky neighbors. I was thinking of putting it on rubber bumpers....though the floor is tile on concrete. Neighbors are upstairs. I would Frame with wood, use at least three sheets of drywall and a heavy door. I would line the door and put on a door sweep.

How much sound should this hold?

I run in and out a lot so ventilation will take care of itself. I even though of putting in a little narrow table/shelf so I have a works surface in the box to adjust baffles.

Happy for any input. Otherwise I will have to rent a workspace. That has advantages but so does working out of the home.
    Phil-Tone Custom Woodwinds
    Custom Mouthpiece Design

www.Phil-Tone.com

Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seal the room and draw a vacuum.

In space, no one can hear you scream.

I'm a big fan of practicing in outdoor spaces (parks, parking lots, rooftops and basements of parking structures, etc.). If you practice in small enclosed spaces, you are more likely to develop a small sound. If you practice outdoors, you will tend to feel more free about blowing through your horn, and learn to develop a strong sound.
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

As a Veteran for Peace, I am already against the next war.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandster View Post
    Some good ideas here, rairio.
    I think Rairio is long gone. Joined last month, started four threads on beginner topics in the first couple days, then ... poof, nothing. Hope I didn't scare him off by suggesting the search function.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MLucky View Post
    Hope I didn't scare him off by suggesting the search function.
    I've been participating in online forums since 1984. Not to many questions are being asked today that haven't been answered somewhere. But what fun would that be? To perpetually lurk? Always just mining the data without engaging folks in forums like this one. Asking questions helps to get a virtual relationship off the ground. Doing a little mining for someone and posting it as a summary helps everyone that does enjoy mining data by consolidating the results in just a few posts as well.

Cheers

PS

It looks like the original poster is about 13 or 14 years old. Since the young person is just starting out online and in life, any useful help from the more experienced folks is probably very welcome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
    Seal the room and draw a vacuum.

In space, no one can hear you scream.

I'm a big fan of practicing in outdoor spaces (parks, parking lots, rooftops and basements of parking structures, etc.). If you practice in small enclosed spaces, you are more likely to develop a small sound. If you practice outdoors, you will tend to feel more free about blowing through your horn, and learn to develop a strong sound.
    But if I practice in my backyard- I might scare the moose!!
    Selmer Balanced Action Alto Silver plated, D'Addario Select Jazz
    Yamaha Custom Z Tenor Silver-Plated, Robusto 7* Rovner Platinum lig, Phil-Tone Tribute; Haynes flute
    http://sonjahannington.com/ https://www.facebook.com/Sonja-Hanni...3912618348854/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast