G & below will not activate with octave key

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default G & below will not activate with octave key

Hi All I have bought a new sterling alto sax as a gift for my wife, both newbies, I have had problems with this sax since the first day, the octave key was not functioning and I got it repaired (bent) then i got it back and found it wasn't fixed at all, I find that the third key (G) when played will not allow the octave key to respond as the first two keys do, hence any key below the G as well.
    Does anyone have any idea on this and how it can be fixed?
    There are no technicians in my local town and although I am willing to try fix it myself I am no way a techie, all keys work and sound fine if I do not use the octave register.
    I have even thought of just selling it cheap because I cannot stand the frustration of having a sax constantly break down please help!

In the first week of owning this sax the octave neck key was fully functional through all keys and then it stoped, so can't figure that one, and everywhere I have searched on the internet you tube etc, shows the neck octave should function through all keys? But strangely I can't figure it out even when I bend the neck key lever she still doesn't work like I think it should..

MUCH APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP POSSIBLE ON THIS ONE!
    Cheers Avid

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: G & below will not activate with octave key

Are you referring to the octave key on the neck? That should only activate from A up. The G key causes the octave mechanism to open a different pip, on the body.
    If that mechanism isn't working and the body pip isn't opening, it's impossible to diagnose without seeing it in action. Could be a dislodged or broken spring, or a piece of felt/cork that fell off, or flat-out mechanical play in the hinge(s). Pictures and/or a video clip might be helpful.

What's the brand of the horn?

BTW welcome to the forum and the world of saxophones.
    "If you ever go a whole night without messing up at least a half-dozen times, you're doing something wrong!"
    _____- Hank Carter

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is very very possible that the octave pip on the body that opens is just stuck shut. Try pulling it open. And then play. It's the same as a stuck G# key. Or often in my case a stuck low C# key.

If you don't know where that is, take the neck off your horn and look down the tube (down the body). There should be a little tube that pokes out a few inches down from the neck receiver. That's where the second octave pip is, but on the outside of the body.
    Don't do drugs. Do Overtones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGPySDpoSiY

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For G (indeed, G#) and below, the neck octave key closes (and an other hole in the upper part of the body opens): this is perfectly normal!
    On the first saxes (XIXth century) the switch was done manually: they had two octave keys, one for A and above and one for G# and below. Today, every sax has an automatic octave key which does the switch for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are two octave key holes on a saxophone, one on the neck and one on the body.
    The saxophone should automatically switch from one to the other depending on what note you play.

Try the following:
    1. No fingers down, repeatedly press and release the octave thumb key - the neck octave pad should open and close.
    2. Three left hand fingers down (B, A, G), repeatedly press and release the octave thumb key - the body octave pad should open and close. The neck octave pad should remain closed.
    3. No fingers down and thumb octave key pressed - the neck octave pad should be open. Now hold the octave thumb key down and repeatedly press and release the left hand G key - the body ocrave and neck octave pads should open and close alternatively. Only one of the two should be open at any time.

If you report what happens, maybe people on the forum can help more.

Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin...749#post312749

There are many, many things that can interfere with the operation of the octave keys. If you do not have the analysis skills to work out what is wrong, leave that to a technician.
    Likewise, if you fully understand the repercussions of the many ways to deal with problems with this mechanism, then leave it to a technician!. It is so easy to make it worse.
    Contentment is not the fulfilment of what you want, but the realisation of how much you already have.