Sax on the Web Forum banner

Cleaning a BAM La Defense Tenor Case

8K views 35 replies 11 participants last post by  newjazz 
#1 ·
I've got a silver BAM case that seems to scratch if I look at it wrong. I've tried getting the scratches out with their recommended car paint scratch compound idea, and it's not working. Anyone else have a solution?

Thanks so much!

Best,
Max

#2 ·
Is that the one with the aluminum exterior? If so, just accept it for what it is - you won't get all the scratches out without mechanical polishing.

#4 ·
If it protects what's inside you're getting your moneys worth...I know that's not what you want to hear, but the reality is that cases get put on the floor, slid into beds of trucks, have other cases stacked on top (or at least beside) and then they ride to the gig. Every scratch and scuff is a reason to be glad you own it. Even if you cart your own and are super careful, one day you'll take it in for repairs and the tech will store it with all the other instruments in the que...Scratch.

#5 ·
You're correct - it is foolish to buy a case with a polished metal exterior and expect it to not show scratches. It would be a really bad choice to drive a DeLorean in a demolition derby.

Aluminum is a very soft metal - but you knew that.

I'll admit to being among the keep-it-shiny crowd - I had a Cavallaro cover for my Walt Johnson case. I do take measures not to intentionally scuff my BAM Softpack case.

But at the end of the day, it's what is inside that matters.

#6 ·
Won't help you much now but if I were buying a case like this and wanted to keep I looking nice I might take it to one of those places that applies window tinting and clear paint protection film and have them put that on the case. Of course it might cost as much as the case to have it applied. A case cover would also be an option but then you don't get to show off the case.

#10 ·
Hey, it's all good, right?

Funny. You're concerned about keeping it shiny (as do I), while a parallel thread is seeking that street-cred patina on a one-year-old Yamaha.

Tenor - It's what matters.

#11 ·
This is helpful I'm thinking to getting a BAM today. My selmer paris flight case is nice and in good shape (five latches and all) but I'd like a nice new looking one. The softpack looks nice and the zipper would be a new thing....How is that zipper btw? don't zippers usually come undone over time? The Defense looks cool, but now I'm concerned about it getting scuffed up to easily. The orange colored back pack straps look coool too.

The cabine and defense look best from the side. When looking at it from the top they look a litle awkward. Maybe its just the photos. Well I'm leaning towards the defense. I do like the four latches look.

Curious is the soft pack much larger?

Is there a shop that has the defense in stock?

#15 ·
The Softpak is just slightly bigger. For air travel the Cabine is best, lighter and smaller, plus it can be worn as a backpack.

Overall I still prefer the Softpak though for 2 reasons:

1- the storage compartment under the sax has a hard lid that prevents small items from moving around, while on the Cabine it's open. I only store a swab and neck strap in the Cabine while in the Softpak I carry those items plus a reed case, cork grease, extra individual reeds, mouthpiece swap, cleaning cloth. all well secured under the lid, under the horn. neck and mouthpiece in the bell in both cases.
2- although I prefer latches over zipper, I find the BAM latches on the Cabine too easy to open by accident. they have a protruding lip that tends to catch on things and easily open. when traveling I always lock the latches with the key that comes with it. I've had my Softpak for a couple years now with no issues with the zipper.

#17 ·
Thanks, LittleMushi and Guto, for the conversation. I am going to order another Softpack for my OBT.

Like Guto, I would be concerned about latches popping open. I have no issues with the zipper on the BAM/Borgani Softpack, and recently had another Borgani that belonged to Eric Falcon - although the outside of its BAM case was very worn, the zippers were in great condition.

#22 ·
#33 ·
Dr G, may I add...

I have the Cabine for tenor, and the latches work as intended. That is, when properly closed, they stay closed, and do not accidentally pop open. BAM calls these latches SoftTouch, and the same latch is used on their string cases. You do have to make SURE you have actually closed the latch. With the soft touch latch, there is very little resistance when closing the latch, unlike other latches that you feel the resistance when closing/opening.

I had the Cabine for about a year, and have had NO problems with the latches.
Thank you!

#35 ·
I saw a black and grey bam cabine case recently and the first thing that came out of my mouth was "you don't have any tenor cases in stock?". The salesman said "That is the tenor". lol

I was disappointed because the black one looked or seemed cheap. That was just my honest first impression- relative to my old white selmer paris flight case (circa 2000?). The grey one didn't have that 'cheap' vibe to it though. Still might get one.

The alto cases are tiny, ha!

#36 ·
I saw a black and grey bam cabine case recently and the first thing that came out of my mouth was "you don't have any tenor cases in stock?". The salesman said "That is the tenor". lol

I was disappointed because the black one looked or seemed cheap. That was just my honest first impression- relative to my old white selmer paris flight case (circa 2000?). The grey one didn't have that 'cheap' vibe to it though. Still might get one.

The alto cases are tiny, ha!
youre absolutely right! the black bam cabine looks really crappy. i had my eyes on a new case to replace the protec that came with my 66r but, it wasnt so easy considering its an very expensive product for what it is, at least compared to a walt johnson or a hiscox which is obvious a tank when it comes to durability. however, i do think that bam's other flight case which has a zipper (its weak point) is probably even more protective by the fact that the plastic shell is flexible enough to absorb shock. i have seen this think take absuse that the sparse foam super hard wood exterior protec couldnt.
i bought it still because its a nice looking case with a compact profile but, it still has a few minor gripes from me. one, i think the mounting points of the upper backpack straps are too high and causes it to put pressure ajanst my back. this maybe because of my build but, i am pretty much average in that regard. all in all, everyone that sees it is impressed with the design but if i was you i would take a closer look at the high tech la defense before pulling the trigger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.