Conn Pan American Baritone - Good Deal? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Conn Pan American Baritone - Good Deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Grumps View Post
    I have Conn's NW version of this horn, made in 1920. Yes, the octave design is poor. Yes, it's only keyed to Eb3. And yeah... it's going to play sharp with any modern styled mouthpiece. So although I make do with the bari I have, and it does have that Conn bari bite... even in working order I'd never get what they're asking for the Pan Am if I were to try to sell mine. If the Pan Am was in working order and they only wanted $500 or less for it... and you're not going to use it for section work... then it might be a deal.
    Grumps, if you have the cash, contact Curt Altarac at MusicMedic to check out a "12.5M" neck - it's pricey but the tenon can be matched to a NW or earlier easily.

http://musicmedic.com/conn-12m-proshop-neck.html
    Buescher New Aristocrat altos - 265xxx & 267xxx, True Tone alto 99xxx, Aristocrat tenor 308xxx & Aristocrat baritone 346xxx. Wooden planks for reeds and cavernous chambers

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm considering a vintage horn from JayePDX, but I'm also checking out Palo's horns (Just Saxes Crescent Bari). New vs. vintage is always a tough decision though...
    Either be good...or do better

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eradium View Post
    Grumps, if you have the cash, contact Curt Altarac at MusicMedic to check out a "12.5M" neck
    Nah, that wouldn't work with the New Wonder neck octave pad/pip, which is on the side of the neck with the pad lever connected from the top loop. I have no problem however, with my old Conn bari just the way it is. I use an extended shank RPC rollover which keeps it in tune.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I'm going to go vintage, I'm considering a late 60s Vito Beaugnier bari or a 60s Buescher 400. Are there other vintage horns I should consider or anything about these 2 options that stick out?
    Either be good...or do better

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12