Eastman 52nd St Soprano vs 640 Soprano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Eastman 52nd St Soprano vs 640 Soprano

I got a chance to try out a 52nd street sop and thought it was excellent. How does the 640 model compare?
    Yamaha YTS-62iii tenor/Paraschos Selmer Neck/Vandoren T20/Vandoren MO/L�g�re Signature Series 3.5
    Cannonball BBSS Brute alto/Selmer Concept MOJO/Vandoren MO/L�g�re Signature Series 3.5
    Buffet Prodige clarinet/Vandoren Masters CL6/Vandoren MO/L�g�re Signature Series 3

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Eastman 52nd St Soprano vs 640 Soprano

The 640 is my #1. Better intonation than my YSS475 and vintage Beaugnier. With a BARI mouthpiece it heads into Brandon M. territory! The 52nd St. alto however is my #1 all-time, over many Selmer, Yamaha and Conn horns I've owned thru the years. Fantastic flexibility and tone. Oddly, the 52nd St. tenor doesn't knock my socks off like the alto and sop. Keep blowing'!
    Ideally, the hardest thing about playing saxophone should be putting it back in the case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Christian1 View Post
    I got a chance to try out a 52nd street sop and thought it was excellent. How does the 640 model compare?
    I am assuming that you are talking about the ESS642, correct?
    Soprano: New soprano coming soon; Vintage C-Mel Tenor project: Evette-Schaeffer, Buffet-Crampon Clarinet: Yamaha
    Alto: Noblet "Face" model (Designed by Dolnet?, made in the Beaugnier factory under Dolnet management for LeBlanc under the Noblet label. That's the musical instrument business.);

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twocircles View Post
    I am assuming that you are talking about the ESS642, correct?
    Yes, I guess I got the number wrong.
    Yamaha YTS-62iii tenor/Paraschos Selmer Neck/Vandoren T20/Vandoren MO/L�g�re Signature Series 3.5
    Cannonball BBSS Brute alto/Selmer Concept MOJO/Vandoren MO/L�g�re Signature Series 3.5
    Buffet Prodige clarinet/Vandoren Masters CL6/Vandoren MO/L�g�re Signature Series 3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought you were just using shorthand, 64x, but I wanted to be sure. I have no experience with these, but a discussion about Eastman saxes got me looking at them more closely.
    Soprano: New soprano coming soon; Vintage C-Mel Tenor project: Evette-Schaeffer, Buffet-Crampon Clarinet: Yamaha
    Alto: Noblet "Face" model (Designed by Dolnet?, made in the Beaugnier factory under Dolnet management for LeBlanc under the Noblet label. That's the musical instrument business.);

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-2016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Christian1 View Post
    About the same. The main difference is the 642 is lacquered and doesn't have rolled tone holes at the bottom. The sound is more compact, like a Yamaha.
    Current setups:
    Yamaha YSS-875EX, Selmer Soloist D, Ishimori lig,Hemke 3.5
    Yamaha YAS-875EXS, Selmer Air Flow C*, Ishimori lig,Hemke 3.5
    Yamaha YTS-875EX, Selmer Air Flow C*, Ishimori lig, Hemke 3.5
    Kessler Solist Bari, Selmer Air Flow C*, BG Tradition lig, Vandoren 3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J.Max View Post
    About the same. The main difference is the 642 is lacquered and doesn't have rolled tone holes at the bottom. The sound is more compact, like a Yamaha.
    Thanks, I guess it's worth trying out both then.

Merchant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is an excellent way to put this! I have compared the 642 to Yamaha 62 sopranos and it seems that the Eastman has a little less edge and projection, but more body to the sound. At the price, the 642 is a great horn.