1966 Selmer Mark VI Alto 135k, need some help with lacquer and value

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 1966 Selmer Mark VI Alto 135k, need some help with lacquer and value

http://s841.photobucket.com/user/eba...?sort=3&page=1

So I had been thinking this horn is a relac but as I have looked at the pictures for a bit I am not so sure and would like some help please.
    Also as far as valuation I am figuring in the $4500-6000 ball park, probably closer to $5k. Thanks for the help, oh horn is supposed to be in
    solid playing condition. Jay.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 1966 Selmer Mark VI Alto 135k, need some help with lacquer and value

I am pretty sure it is original but the neck may be a relacquer which also would lead to the body being original. I usually look for spots where dents have been removed prior to a relac and for buffing swirls. Not 100% sure but think it is original. If you use Google Chrome, the magnifier helps. I didn't see any runs or sags in the finish. Is the neck original (serial number or no number)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 1966 Selmer Mark VI Alto 135k, need some help with lacquer and value

Yeah the neck has a matching serial number Bruce, and thanks for the help.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member 1saxman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm suspicious of the neck which looks like a later Paris replacement neck to me, numbers or not. It doesn't even look like the same brass alloy as the rest of it which does look original to me - looks like the heavier Zinc composition of the later 'pale' saxes. There's another possibility; maybe the original neck was damaged severely so they took a later neck, swapped out the tenon ring with the number and relacquered it. There are many possibilities but I still doubt the neck. Now, it probably plays great and its a Selmer neck. I'm just saying adjust what you're willing to pay accordingly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can almost always tell when a Mark VI neck has been re lacquered by the part you didn't photograph, the badge. The circle with the little points will be rounded off.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd go with relacquer considering the faint numbers on the ends and some lettering. Would like to see the pearls, and the original case if you have it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't take the pictures, no original case, came from an estate sale and I haven't purchased the horn yet so while the seller has been
    very helpful with me I'm not sure how many more pics he will take. I have however asked for a top picture of the neck and a pic of the
    serial number on the neck. When I get them I will post them as well, thanks a bunch for all the help.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I play a 135,XXX alto and like the sound but the LOW C is FLAT. I understand this is fairly typical for the BOW length of these years. Otherwise I love the horn - not sure these sell in the $5,000 range and wouldn't trust that it's in 'solid' condition. Good luck with the purchase.

Tenor - '61 Mark VI w/Tenny Slant Tone Edge 7
    Alto - '66 Mark VI/Meyer 6/Caravan
    Soprano - '93 Yani S-900 w/Tenney Tone Edge 7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought the color was off, but that could have been the photography process. I have a #110xxx VI-alto and in person, the finish does not look like the one in this thread, either in color OR in smoothness. DAVE
    Dave

Distinguished SOTW Member Mike F's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be careful about making judgements about the neck based on the photos. I've taken pictures of saxes and they can look like different instruments, lacquer colour wise, one photo to another depending on the light. Look at the colour of the carpet in the pictures of the neck and then compare to the colour of the carpet in the picture of the bow. Then apply the same colour change in the carpet to the lacquer and brass on the horn...........

Distinguished SOTW Member 1saxman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing for sure, it was overhauled by a moron. Red felts, cork bumper glued to the body under the G# key foot, side key hinge pins protruding and with boogered-up slots.... I'm sure I could find fifty things wrong with it.
    Somebody will have to over the sax inch by inch, complete teardown, to straighten it all out. I bought a MK VI tenor in 1998 sight unseen (from a well-known sax shop in Utah) that had been similarly screwed up. It turned out to be the best tenor I ever had and I'm still using it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok the album has been updated with three new pictures of the neck, so have a look see and tell me what you think, please. Thanks again, Jay.

SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jaysz View Post
    Also as far as valuation I am figuring in the $4500-6000 ball park, probably closer to $5k.
    I didn't realize the altos were going for nearly as much as the tenors. In any case, if it's a relac (I can't tell) $5k sounds pretty high to me. And even worse, if it needs an overhaul, I'd lower that by about $2k.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like a relaquer to me - overspray on the neck below the tenon ring, lightly engraved numbers, the round logo on the neck is not crisp. Also, what's up with the missing spring? I would say $3k - $3500k max.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now I am not disputing the valuations, but to the two posters above who said in the $3k range, would you mind pointing me towards the ones your seeing selling for that in this serial range as I am interested,
    thanks. Jay.

Forum Contributor 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now I am not disputing the valuations, but to the two posters above who said in the $3k range, would you mind pointing me towards the ones your seeing selling for that in this serial range as I am interested,
    thanks. Jay.
    Check sold listings on EBay.

Tenor - '61 Mark VI w/Tenny Slant Tone Edge 7
    Alto - '66 Mark VI/Meyer 6/Caravan
    Soprano - '93 Yani S-900 w/Tenney Tone Edge 7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have quite a bit, and I don't see much available for $3k, the lowest available currently are at $3100 with 6 days and $3350 with almost 4 days, then it jumps to $3900.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely looks relaq to me. Neck is also suspicious. Lacquer looks to be a different tint/shade and the neck tenon looks to be a replacement as well. Not badly done, but I've never seen an original 1960's era horn (of any brand) tenon be that shiny/buffed and have what looks to be a slight amount of lacquer overspray near the top of the tenon (near the ring). $5k? Not with my money, but that's just me.

SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks. Jay.
    I haven't been looking at the prices on MKVI altos, just found that $5k figure high in comparison to what the tenors go for. I guess I'd say if you can't find a VI alto for much less than $5k, I'd want to be absolutely certain that it was in top playing condition. And probably, mainly from a 'value' standpoint, would want it to be original lac also.

Forum Contributor 2014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the pic showing the serial number I would say that's an old relac. The " Made in France" is buffed out a little. I have an original 108... VI alto. When was the blue S introduced on US horns?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast