0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Classical Alto Mouthpieces

Quote Originally Posted by Mormile View Post
    I probably should've put this in the original post but my setup is a
    P. Mauriat 66r Influence
    Vandoren Optimum TL3
    Vandoren Optimum Ligature
    Vandoren v12 #3.5
    Since you're playing a TL3 for tenor, I would suggest you the AL3 for Alto. Maybe try a 3 V12 though.
    Soprano: Yanagisawa solid silver SC9930, Selmer Concept
    Alto: Yamaha EX II, Selmer Concept
    Tenor: Yamaha EX, T20

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a performer, band director and studio teacher, it makes sense to me for you to consider the AL3 since the TL3 works well for you on tenor. Vandoren mouthpieces have good quality control, are top shelf professional mouthpieces and are a very good value. If you choose to pursue music in college, your professor will have ideas/thoughts/opinions about your equipment that you can explore. For now, I highly recommend the AL3.

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-2016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LostConn View Post

As for Rousseau, I tried the RC4 and did not like it (poor upper register response). The RC model is supposed to be the darkest Rousseau piece. I haven't tried the NC series or the R series because I assume they are brighter than I prefer.
    I thought the same thing about the Rousseau piece. Then I had Brian Powell reface it. Now it's my main mouthpiece. I also have an AL3 that was refaced by Bob Scott that I like, but it's a very "pure" sound, like a Concept.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an AL4 for alto right now, and to be honest, it doesn't work too well for me. The sound is beautiful, but compared to what I'm used to - Full disclosure, I'm almost exclusively a jazz, funk, rock, pop, crossover guy - it takes air in a strange way. By that, I mean, it takes all the air I want to put through it, but the ratio of air to sound output is heavily biased toward the air. It's not a very efficient mouthpiece, sonically speaking. I've tried the AL3 as well, and the ratio of air to sound is better, but the tip opening is so small that it's difficult to project at all without a super-hard reed. From what I've heard, the V5 series Vandorens are much better in this regard.

Mind you, both the AL3 and the AL4 have gorgeous sounds to them. So, if you think that it's worth the effort, or if you like to blow in a similar way that you would in a rock n' roll gig in a classical setting and have the volume and tone still be appropriate for the style, then these pieces might be for you.

I can certainly vouch for the E. Rousseau mouthpieces, though. The air issue is just not there at all on those pieces and the sound is also beautiful, just different. I'm partial to the 4R and 5R, myself, but the NC4 and NC5 are also great.
    I can't stand the amount of emphasis most people place on the "tradition" of jazz. The history of jazz was written by cats who relentlessly pushed the boundaries. Do you know what I call people who only try to play what Bird or Trane already did? Classical musicians.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craigmultireedguy View Post
    I have an AL4 for alto right now, and to be honest, it doesn't work too well for me. The sound is beautiful, but compared to what I'm used to - Full disclosure, I'm almost exclusively a jazz, funk, rock, pop, crossover guy - it takes air in a strange way. By that, I mean, it takes all the air I want to put, but the ratio of air to sound output is heavily biased toward the air. It's not a very efficient mouthpiece, sonically speaking. I've tried the AL3 as well, and the ratio of air to sound is better, but the tip opening is so small that it's difficult to project at all without a super-hard reed.
    The AL5 fixes both those problems. Your complaint about the AL3 is exactly why the AL5 exists.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The AL5 fixes both those problems. Your complaint about the AL3 is exactly why the AL5 exists.
    No kidding? I wasn't even aware that the AL5 existed until just now. Thanks!
    I can't stand the amount of emphasis most people place on the "tradition" of jazz. The history of jazz was written by cats who relentlessly pushed the boundaries. Do you know what I call people who only try to play what Bird or Trane already did? Classical musicians.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think that anyone has mentioned it but the Selmer LT (Larry Teal) is an excellent alto mouthpiece for classical. It has a very rich lush sound.
    My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ghawk78/videos
    Tenor-Viking M60 Valkyrie w/Black Widow 8:Alto-Yamaha YAS-23 w/Beechler Diamond Inlay S8S
    Soprano-Antigua Winds 590BLQ w/Bari HR .066

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GHawk View Post
    I don't think that anyone has mentioned it but the Selmer LT (Larry Teal) is an excellent alto mouthpiece for classical. It has a very rich lush sound.
    Mentioned it in post #13! I agree, though, that it's a good mouthpiece.

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-2016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GHawk View Post
    One of the best mouthpieces I own is a Selmer Airflow. The Airflows turned into the LT model eventually.
    Current setups:
    Yamaha YSS-875EX, Rousseau NC3 (refaced by Joe Giardullo), Ishimori lig,Hemke 3.5
    Yamaha YAS-875EXS, Rousseau RC4 (refaced by Brian Powell), Ishimori lig,Hemke 3.5
    Yamaha YTS-875EX, Rousseau NC4, Ishimori lig, Hemke 3.5
    Unison Black Nickel Bari, Rousseau NC4, BG Tradition lig, Hemke 3.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned it in post #13! I agree, though, that it's a good mouthpiece.
    Oops... Missed it. I blame it on ADD...LOL. I played a tenor LT all through college but I always felt that the alto version was much better. My teacher was Teal's first doctoral student and I got to play for Teal once. That was a bit intimidating, but getting feedback from Teal was priceless.
    My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ghawk78/videos
    Tenor-Viking M60 Valkyrie w/Black Widow 8:Alto-Yamaha YAS-23 w/Beechler Diamond Inlay S8S
    Soprano-Antigua Winds 590BLQ w/Bari HR .066

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2