Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Forum Contributor 2016
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Death Contingency Plans?

As I turn 50 this year, I have been thinking more and more about what would happen if I were to die prematurely. I'm not talking about general life stuff but more about my sax stuff. I can't help but think it would be a disaster. My wife knows nothing about saxophone stuff and she has no patience for research, ebay and all that. I could just imagine her selling my SBA on Craigslist for 500 bucks to a 4th grader........ Forget about the mouthpieces, what they are and how much they are worth.....She would probably put that on ebay and just list it as "gold sax thingy". Do any of you have any contingency plans for your significant other in this regard? Specific instructions written out with values or maybe a trusted sax friend that has agreed to step in and help if the time ever came......(they would have to be really trusted.......I mean really trusted........) Just sitting here drinking my morning coffee and thinking deep thoughts.........

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member buddy lee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Death Contingency Plans?

Deep thoughts. I have a few good friends who could help my wife with that, but yeah, I'd be in the same boat. It's tough to write out values because they can change so much over the years... you'd have to update them every few years I'd think, just in case.
    "Can't never could."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I am 67, so yes I have recently made some contingencies. Of course I only have 1 tenor, 1 alto, 1 clarinet and about 20 mouthpieces, so my task was probably much easier than yours. I put an Ebay sale estimate on each piece and wrote short Ebay adds (no photo files yet, I need to get to that). You may have so much equipment, that even if you went to this level, your inventory may be overwhelming. It may be best for you to find that trusted, trusted friend.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Forum Contributor 2007-2016

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a complete list of what I have here with current market values, in case of this.
    Your wife should definitely have your list, and make a copy for your kids to have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny you mention this, last night as I was putting away a recently acquired Buescher Aristocrat that came with 3(!!!) stubby scroll shank Selmer Soloists, I turned to my wife and said, "Honey, if anything ever happens to me, just so you know, a lot of this stuff is pretty valuable, so please don't sell any of it on Craigslist or Ebay without talking to (trusted sax playing friend), ok?" She smiled at me somewhat condescendingly as if to say "I don't even want to know how much you have wrapped up in 'gold sax thingies, little metal and plastic doorstopper thingies".

Forum Contributor 2012
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife calls mpcs "whistles",lol
    My wife, whose ears I trust, said that my sound is much fuller, richer, more powerful and resonant on this set up.
    ... but really folks... my wife said, " It sounds like a saxophone ".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've thought of this as well, and like mijderf, don't have nearly as much equipment as you have to worry about, but my wife is already pretty aware of the value of my horns and wouldn't make any terribly uninformed decisions in that respect, so I'm not too concerned about those. As for mouthpieces, I think an inventory with brief description and approximate market value (like 10mfan does) sounds like a really good idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have also thought about this. I would have a copy of the horns/mouthpieces/etc and current values with my estate documents. I have considered talking to someone who has an excellent reputation like Brian from getasax.com or Paul from PM Woodwinds about their ability to help in such a situation. I envision that if I were to pass away, my wife would call one of these trusted people and arrange for them to sell the stuff. I have dealt with these people before and I know that they would get fair market prices for my collection.

BTW, Steve, I know you have had some health issues but I know that you have many, many good years ahead of you!

Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Current inventory" - that's a laugh! Would you update it monthly, weekly, or by the day?!

I've some friends that will most definitely be in that dilemma. I'm guessing - I'll have to ask - that the instruction will be something like "Fill up a semi-truck, and send the contents to Paul Maslin or Randy Jones."

That is exactly what has been in my mind this past year too. I'm selling off excess guitars and saxophones, and just trying to reduce the amount of Stuff. This past week, I have been weighing the question of selling a guitar that was made for me 40+ years ago, once which I just don't play any more, but has great sentimental value (it's the guitar that I was playing when I met my wife).

I used to be part of the mountaineering crowd whose slogan was "He who dies with the most toys, wins." After dealing with my parents' estate, I no longer feel that way. Now it's more like "If you can step off the planet and not burden your family with the stuff you couldn't get rid of, you've done well."
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

As a Veteran for Peace, I am already against the next war.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the things that convinced me to get rid of all the cameras that I had accumulated in the years that I was a pro photographer was the fact that my wife and son told me that they would have maybe kept one for memory and sold all the rest should I pass away abruptly.

So I sold the cameras and with the money tarted buying saxophones for fun, but also with those it was clear that my heirs would have no interest in them so, I started to buying and selling them, without acculmulating them.

Never having more than 10 or so in my possession.

I keep records of what I paid for and each. So, If I were to pass away all of a sudden, they would not have to sell a great deal of things and they know how much I paid.

If they sell them one by one they may get more than I paid for but not if they are trying to sell them all at once. That I know it is not going to happen. I have bought several times from people looking at getting rid of things in one go and the price was always better than on a one by one basis.

Recently I was given for little money, 100 or so camera lenses and hundreds of cameras, film cameras, projectors.

I kept the nicer things for myself, some more valuable things I sold in groups and a few things one by one .

I donated the majority of it to a Charity shop. They made €750 out of that!

I was overwhelmed by the sheer size and bulk of all those things! And so would be anyone who would have to dispose of hundreds of pieces!

If one has hundreds of mouthpieces there is no way that anyone who is not in the business (and even a person in the business) could dispose of them, an. even a person in the business might take years to sell them all.

So in the end, whoever is buying them , a person in the business, will pay a much lower price to get the whole collection at once , unless your family decides to turn themselves into mouthpiece sellers.
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post
    I was overwhelmed by the sheer size and bulk of all those things! And so would be anyone who would have to dispose of hundreds of pieces!

If one has hundreds of mouthpieces there is no way that anyone who is not in the business (and even a person in the business) could dispose of them, an. even a person in the business might take years to sell them all.

So in the end, whoever is buying them , a person in the business, will pay a much lower price to get the whole collection at once , unless your family decides to turn themselves into mouthpiece sellers.
    Yep. Anyone want to buy a coin collection? I have learned that I have absolutely NO interest in staring at and fondling expensive bits of metal. And some coins (mint, uncirculated) are apparently meant only for coveting! Hmmm, puts that minty Mk VI sitting in the closet in a whole 'nother perspective...
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

As a Veteran for Peace, I am already against the next war.

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just reminds me of a not-so-funny thing that happened last year. A local guy I jam with somewhat regularly, really old-time established Portland player, occasionally gives me his horns to service. I usually only played with him maybe once every 6 weeks or so. Anyway, I had a nice old silverplate Conn of his which he needed some tweaking done on, took it home with me after a session with him.
    When it was ready about a week later, I texted/called/emailed him to ask when I could drop it by. No reply for several days, then a week, which was strange. Emailed, called again. No reply.
    Two weeks after my initial attempts at contact, he emails me saying he had had a heart attack but was back home now.

Sh#t. Fook.

In the middle of my subsequent conversation with him, I asked "hey, well....um, if you hadn't made it, would it have been OK if I kept that Conn ?"

To which he replied "oooh - good question ! It's not like anyone else knew you had it...so I guess so, yeah".

Something to consider if you are a musician with gear. Might not be a bad idea to just keep a running list including approximate values, etc...
    Go for the Old-Skool, homies. www.2ndending.com

(AdBlock Plus is your Friend https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir.../adblock-plus/)

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coins and Stamps show their true value only when you have to sell them!

A friend of mine left the NL to go to Las Palmas ( he lives in a placer called Teror and we joke saying that he lives in Terror).

He left me in charge of selling all his goods and get rid of all the other things that couldn't be sold.

Well, lots of stuff (coins and stamps included) were difficult to sell and all the antiques too went to a shop.

There was a clock that was once sold by a particular shop and for the purpose of insurance they had issued an expert valuation.

They wouldn't even consider buying the damn thing at 10% of the price they once mentioned!

I see so often people with deluded ideas about the value of their things because once they paid someone who was all to pleased to put a value on a piece of paper which would never be paid by anyone.

By the way, I was once in NJ at a friend's house. The man had been a watch repairer and they had several so called antiques. They asked me to take a look and I was carefult to tell them that they weren't worth much or anything.

But in amongst the rubbish there was a Jaeger Le Coultre Atmos.

It was left at his place of business and never picked up again, the client had moved or had died and they had no address, so now it was theirs.
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't care what happens to my horns when I'm gone. Just hopefully someone will play them. Ones that were valuable that mostly sat on a shelf, I've already sold anyhow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
    "Current inventory" - that's a laugh! Would you update it monthly, weekly, or by the day?!

I've some friends that will most definitely be in that dilemma. I'm guessing - I'll have to ask - that the instruction will be something like "Fill up a semi-truck, and send the contents to Paul Maslin or Randy Jones."

That is exactly what has been in my mind this past year too. I'm selling off excess guitars and saxophones, and just trying to reduce the amount of Stuff. This past week, I have been weighing the question of selling a guitar that was made for me 40+ years ago, once which I just don't play any more, but has great sentimental value (it's the guitar that I was playing when I met my wife).

I used to be part of the mountaineering crowd whose slogan was "He who dies with the most toys, wins." After dealing with my parents' estate, I no longer feel that way. Now it's more like "If you can step off the planet and not burden your family with the stuff you couldn't get rid of, you've done well."
    Yeah, dealing with parent's estate is what motivated me to clear some things out (though I need to do it again). As far as horns and mouthpieces are concerned, I have a local tech I trust to handle sales. I thought about directing here, to the marketplace, as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to give my collection to a trusted teacher to give them out to anyone he thinks is deserving. That way I know that they will be played and appreciated. And he gets to keep one of his choice.
    A SAX FOR EVERY MOOD. (apparently I have 20 moods) (make that 21)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My only really valuable item is my Martin guitar. I have a note in the case stating its relative value. I'm hoping to get it sold in the near future, though, saving it from suffering the worst case scenario.
    Strive to be better than the day before.

Forum Contributor 2014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have similar conversations with my neighbors all the time. Part of it is that our wives don't know what stuff is worth because we have withheld the information for our own protection. I'm now in the process of helping my recently widowed neighbor come to terms with disposing of her late husband's stuff. He took early retirement at age 62 and drove off his driveway, rolled the vehicle, and was killed less than three month's later. Deciding the worth of his brand new, unused Stihl chainsaw isn't too difficult. But a 12" Delta planer? An old Peavey tube amp? A Rickenbacker 365? Her jaw is going to drop when I start giving her numbers on the value of his old "junk."

She also learned that she didn't know the passwords to some of his computers, his phone, and at least one bank account. A hassle that she didn't need. It has spurred my wife and I to put together a list of info. I guess it should include values.

I'm going to be in trouble.

Mark

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009 Keith Ridenhour's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes my wife has instructions to sell it all on ebay and I have friend who is good at that as far as value. You have to , otherwise the horn you loved gets sold at a garage sale.
    Bachelor of Music Education UMSL , two years at Berklee College of Music
    My First solo CD was out in 2016 AutoMatrix. The lead cut is on my Webpage Ksaxman under Sonoma Soul. Working on the second one now. All original songs.
    I have videos of me with three different bands on my webpage Ksaxman.com Mostly have gigged with the Jami Jamison band for 16 years and my band Sonoma Soul for 2 years. K

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Death contingency plans = estate planning. It's a good idea for everyone, but particularly those with extensive and/or nontraditional assets. Make a will and create an inventory.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast