Sax on the Web Forum banner

If you like the Ponzol M2, then you'd LOVE the...

8K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  10mfan 
#1 ·
Just did a mouthpiece trial and really like the Ponzol M2 heads and tails above the other 4 I tried. It is however a $480 mouthpiece and I wonder if I should try some more before settling on it. Anyone out there that also really enjoys the M2 but who found something they like even better?

Thanks!

#3 ·
Anyone out there that also really enjoys the M2 but who found something they like even better?
Sure, I played an M2 (brass version) for a couple of years and did really like it, but then went to an RPC 120B which I liked a quite a lot more. Also Pete Thomas's PPT, which I now prefer over the RPC.

Another one in this general category you might check out is the newest 10MFan tenor piece. I haven't tried it, but it's highly rated by those who have. It's not quite on the market yet and is yet to be given a name, so you'd have to contact Mark about it.

#7 ·
I still prefer my SS 110 M2 Ponzol over all others in terms of all around usefulness. It projects great with loud instruments and still retains a fullness and warmth at ballad levels. It never is too shrill in the upper register to offend the listener or myself. I have tried quite a few other mouthpieces and the Ponzol always wins for me. Try to find a used one. Used ones are in the $300.00-$375.00 range. I use Vandoren 2.5 Red Box reeds and Rigotti Gold 3 light or 2.5 strongs are also good for me.

#8 ·
I still prefer my SS 110 M2 Ponzol over all others in terms of all around usefulness. It projects great with loud instruments and still retains a fullness and warmth at ballad levels. It never is too shrill in the upper register to offend the listener or myself.
I'd agree with that when the Ponzol is compared to a lot of other high baffle pieces. However, back when I switched to an RPC, the thing I mostly noticed was the RPC was fuller, warmer, and had a richer more versatile tone quality, but still as powerful as the Ponzol. But of course it's all very subjective.

#9 ·
I played a Ponzol .110 just to test out a while ago that I really liked. The current piece I've been playing on reminds me a lot of it although the baffle shape is slightly different. But the general shape of the baffle and chamber as well as how the walls are flat until they reach the chamber all seem very similar.

I'm using an Eric Falcon Warburton 12 degree .110 that I got From Bozman.

I'd say they are similar with maybe a little more projection edge going to Eric's piece. The Ponzol was more Husky sounding to me.

#10 ·
I gigged on brass M2s for a number of years. My last one went to Keith since I moved on to Theo's mpcs. Depending on the sound you are looking for a TW simply has more volume and flexibility. I'm currently playing on a TW/Matt Wickam collaboration called the MoFoII. Tons of volume and brightness but also very full sounding.

#11 ·
I was so excited when the stainless steel Ponzols came out, and was it was the disappointment of the decade. They are completely useless hunks of metal. I tried 3 of them... dead dead dead compared to my (stock) brass Ponzols, which for me beat good Bergs and Guardalas. The Theo metal tenor mouthpieces go for around $750.00 and you get the a beautifully finished mouthpiece for that $. By comparison the finishing work is crude at best on the brass Ponzols, but the voice is in there, but the magic is in those brass blanks. I have about a bunch of these old brass M2 and M2+ 110s and I have bought used for fairly cheap over the years and had a couple of them custom setup. The difference is dramatic improvement. They become WAYYY more reed friendly, easier to control and with a proper setup. If you like the stainless steel Ponzols, find a brass one if you can for a decent deal, and have it refaced by someone good like Marin Spivak, Mojo or Norbert Statchel.

#13 ·
I have no doubt about it they are CNC machined to perfection. There do play well but they they have absolutely no zing in them...there is something inherently wrong with them. I don't know what the problem is, but they are just lifeless.

#15 ·
I'm with LateNiteSax on this one. I own brass Ponzols for alto, tenor and bari (8 in all). The SS models just didn't have the same vibe for me. When Peter discontinued the brass ones, I started buying them so I would always have a spare.

If you like HR, the old Ponzol Customs are pretty sweet. It's basically an M2 facing and baffle. That has become my "go to" piece on alto when I need to project. My brass alto piece is an M1 .085 that used to belong to Gary. Someone scooped out the baffle a bit, so it's a bit more mellow.

#17 ·
Being a user of Ponzol mpcs on both alto and tenor, I also agree with the observations about the differences between the brass and SS ones, although I wouldn't call the SS ones with "three" deads. :0
If you liked the M2 mouthpiece, you might be able to find one used and save some money that way, but stick to the brass one, and I don't know how much money that means. It's random

#20 ·
Hey everybody. So I've been playing the RPC 110B back to back with the Ponzol M2 and my gut is telling me to stick with the M2. They feel really different to me. The RPC maybe seems to play easier...or maybe it is that it is more "free blowing" as I've heard people say?, and altissimo comes out a little easier, but I like the tone of the M2 better, and it has this "resistance" that I actually like. For example, I feel way more confident laying into a high palm key note on the M2...it feels like the note will "be there" whereas on the RPC it feels like it might fail or something. And that is even with using a stiffer reed on the RPC. But I'm new to even trying out different mouthpieces (I've played the same RIA 7 forever), so I'm not sure if I should stick with my gut feeling or really try to make one work that doesn't feel that great initially. Any thoughts? Anyone relate to what I'm trying to verbalize about the 2 pieces?

#22 ·
I played Peter Ponzol's mouthpieces for a very long time and found them at the time to do everything I needed and more. Excellent facing and perfect tip openings and very reed friendly.

That said I wish I had them back now but life is what it is and I have been very happy with my HR GW pieces for over 6 years which work for the gigs I play.

If you can afford then buy a Ponzol and find out for yourself what the buzz is about. People either love or hate them it seems.

#25 ·
I've played the SS Ponzol M2 and eventually sold it, also switched to an RPC - a .115 B which I still have and sometimes use. I could never get a great sound out of the Ponzol, something too dry or brittle about it. Never tried the brass though. The SR Technologies Fusion in .115 tip opening is an amazing piece for great tone, warmth and projection. Not quite as loud as the RPC but easier to get a beautiful warm sound out of. They are pretty expensive new but there's not much of a used market for them and they can be had for cheap off Ebay if you wait for one. I think the SR Tech Fusions are undiscovered gems, they play so easily with beautiful sound and really can go loud when pushed. They also come in .108 tip opening but have never tried that. I suspect with the high baffle the .115 may be warmer than the .108.

#26 ·
I have owned the brass Ponzol M1 and M2 but prefer the stainless M2's. I also have a gold anodized aluminum M2 that plays slightly darker to me. If you like that you may like a modified 10mfan Boss. I had the Boss baffle lowered and its a gem. The sound in my modified Boss is fatter than the ponzol and just a hair brighter. Still has a ton of power.
The baffle has been lowered to be in between the Boss and Robusto. I'm affectionately calling it the RoBOSSto.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.