Introducing: The brand new 10MFAN "BLACK WIDOW" tenor mouthpiece! - Page 11

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Introducing: The brand new 10MFAN "BLACK WIDOW" tenor mouthpiece!

Great description Mark--exactly what I wanted to know. You should make it a sticky so prospective buyers will know the low-down right off the bat.
    'How far y'all going?' Ruby asked us with a sigh.
    'We're going all the way 'till the wheels fall off and burn.
    Till the sun peels the paint and the seat covers fade and the water moccasin dies'.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

SOTW Columnist
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Is All View Post
    So for funk, blues or rock with the Robusto if the venue or group is a loud one, do you need a mic to be heard? With my BW I don't, because it is brighter and louder, but how would that be with the Robusto instead?
    I have both of these so can add my take on it. But first and foremost, +1 to what Mark said in his last post. A LOT depends on the player, so always keep that in mind.

In my case, I'd say yes absolutely I'd need a mic using the Robusto in most blues (and certainly loud rock) situations. Whereas I can play the BW unmiked a lot of the time. Not just because it's brighter but because when pushed it gets louder. Then again mine is a 9 (hey that rhymes) so maybe it's not as bright as an 8 but it still has the volume. My Robusto is an 8* and maybe with a 7* it would be brighter. I don't find either of these mpcs to be too bright. Both play great with a wide dynamic range. I find it a bit easier to 'tame down' and darken my BW when necessary, than to push the Robusto up to the full bore sound I get on the BW. But that's just me, others might find the opposite to be true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should add that I use a Legere signature 2.75. So far I am never going back to cane. I am a guitar player first. I need to be able to switch instruments quickly. I have found the Robusto to respond very differently with different reed types. I have not found very many situations where I could play the Robusto with electric instruments and not be miked. I think I could get by without the Boss and just have the two pieces (R and BW) and have everything covered. I don't feel I need to look at other makes of mpc because I am confident that these are the best made pieces out there. I will however be tempted by Mark's future offerings. I am very confident that when he says its an original design that is accurate. I have had my experiences with other pieces. So far Mark's pieces have been very accurately described. That is a big deal to me. I think there are a bunch of mpcs that are very similar. I have had my share. Original design is what sets all of these apart. Nice job Mark.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to revise some of my comments. After spending more time with the BW, I have found that I can play it darker. I think I have been playing the Robusto so long, and pushing it to be brighter, that I tend to do that with other pieces. Really liking this BW.

Forum Contributor 2007-2016

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you very much, my friend. I work extremely hard on every mouthpiece model I put out. The over flooding of vintage copy pieces has gotten pitiful, at best. My belief is why copy those when I can make original designs that for me, simply play better.

My objective is to offer people new designs that are fresh, to allow for more flexibility and versatility.

Have fun with whatever you play, and happy new year wishes to all.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11