Introducing: The brand new 10MFAN "BLACK WIDOW" tenor mouthpiece!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2007-2016

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Introducing: The brand new 10MFAN "BLACK WIDOW" tenor mouthpiece!

In the four years that I've had my 10MFAN tenor pieces out, these are the 2 specific requests for pieces that players said they would like to see from me, and this mouthpiece will take care of one of those requests... the 2nd request piece will come out in the next 3 months.

So many players love the Merlot model because it is warm and open blowing. It has the lowest baffle height of any of my pieces and gets a huge warm and open sound. Others who want more punch and bite than that, will love The Robusto model. The Robusto is a killer all-around player, but definitely leans more for the jazz player who wants some extra fatness and punch. It wasn't designed to be a "pop" piece, but it has plenty of power to be used in a huge variety of settings. It has a longer, moderate baffle height and is incredibly well balanced. Others who seek much more power and available brights for more pop, funk, R&B, etc...have enjoyed my high baffle Boss model.

SO WHERE DOES THIS BLACK WIDOW FIT IN???

Well, many have asked me to make another powerful piece option with a less high, more moderate height baffle than the Boss has, that could cross over both the all-around and powerful piece categories VERY well.
    A piece the jazz guys could use more easily than The Boss, and a piece that the powerful playing guys will love too. Thats what THE BLACK WIDOW does.
    The pop guys love the Boss with the high baffle, but those pieces are not for everybody....jazz guys can have a harder time with higher baffle pieces when coming from a lower or moderate height baffle piece. I understand that, and that describes the tons of requests I have had for this new design.
    It has become clear that many players want a "cross-over" category piece that is different from the other models. Something easily used for jazz stuff AND for guys playing commercial pop, blues, smooth jazz, rock, and funk type of stuff too.

The BLACK WIDOW will be loved by jazz players looking for a powerful piece that can be used for straight ahead stuff+++, and also the more commercial players looking for another design option for a powerful piece with a longer and more moderate baffle height design than The BOSS HR. The baffle goes to the chamber and makes this piece incredibly versatile.
    This describes this new piece perfectly.

SOUND CONCEPT: HUUUUGE DEPTH OF SOUND AND SUPER VERSATILITY.
    My feelings as a player and person who designed this, is that it has the sound of the Robusto meets a Berg over one, if that makes sense to you. The problem with Bergs for me, is that they always feel one-dimensional. They are wonderful pieces, but they get one vibe for me which is fat and punchy with grit, but I've never played a Berg that has the flexibility and versatility that this new piece has....not even close. I have owned hundreds of Bergs and as I said, they can be wonderful pieces but in the end, they just always have that one vibe for me. When you step off it with those, they still sound like a Berg. The BLACK WIDOW doesn't sound ONE way. It can have that classic vibe with lots of power available and can do the punchy thing incredibly well too. Over time as players get this piece, I will show samplings of the incredible versatility of this piece. Stay tuned....

As a player who has made a living solely on playing, teaching, selling the finest vintage mouthpieces, and now my own 10MFAN mouthpieces---- years ago I used to use both vintage Links and Bergs. I always enjoyed both but always felt like something was missing and wanted to make something that was in between those. My Robusto for me is really a beautiful combination in terms of sound of what a Link and a Berg can do...with more to offer than each. That's why it has been my main piece for the last 4 1/2 years and will always be my only piece. It just does everything that I need it to do as a player. It was the piece I have been looking for for a long time but it didn't exist...until I made it.
    As for THE BLACK WIDOW, it pushes the power and punch even more and has more brights available than the Robusto-- with a new, and completely fresh design. It can also be played warm and darker, and can cross over to the funkier stuff beautifully, which is one of the reasons the versatility is so high. It is such a fun piece to play! Since I lean more towards the jazz side of things, the Robusto will remain the king for MY personal needs. I can't tell you how many players have asked for something that had more punch than the Robusto and was less extreme than The Boss-------so here it is.

These are made from the finest German hard rubber bar stock and hand finished one at a time by the great Eric Falcon.

Pictures will be coming in the next few days or so once I have the finished product to show.
    Meanwhile, here are a few samplings of the sound. From the mellow old school jazz sounds to the funky Pickett vibe!
    More sound samples coming shortly.....

SIZES:
    7* --------.105
    7**------ .108
    8--------- .110
    8*-------- .115
    9--------- .12O
    9*------- .125
    10------- .130

All 4 of these cuts below are played on the same exact 7* BLACK WIDOW mouthpiece. Both players are used to bigger tip openings, and you can hear how comfortable they are with this tip and how they can let loose on it without any issues at all. Their sounds will be even bigger when they get their pieces in their normal tip openings.

Immense versatility!

ERIC SPAULDING: showing how versatile this piece is:

GREG HAWKINS: HALLELUJAH-------showing a beautiful sounding contemporary gospel side:

GREG HAWKINS: LONG TRAIN RUNNIN'----- showing the powerful vibe:

GREG HAWKINS: SMOOTH OPERATOR-------showing the smooth jazz side

$375 INTRODUCTORY price only for the month of May, so take advantage of that and order one for yourself at this price.

Until I update my website with pictures, clips, etc...
    YOU CAN ORDER DIRECTLY FROM ME AT: CONNSAXMAN@COMCAST.NET

Thank you for all the incredible support.
    All the best,
    Mark

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Introducing: The brand new 10MFAN "BLACK WIDOW" tenor mouthpiece!

Keep the orders coming as we will be able to get pieces out incredibly fast because we had so many blanks cut in preparation for the big release.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The great Ivan Renta just wrote me telling me how excited he is about this mouthpiece.
    His first words were, "THIS THING ROARS"!
    He will be making an audio for me. He will show the classic straightahead side to it and you can compare that to the sounds that Eric and Greg got on the same exact mouthpiece, and hear the flexibility and versatility.

I am very proud of this mouthpiece and it wouldn't be in my hard rubber mouthpiece line if it didn't stack up with the other pieces I have made.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Audio from Ivan Renta coming soon.

Keep the orders coming....
    I can't wait for you guys to get your pieces!!!

$375 INTRODUCTORY price for the month of May, so take advantage of that and order one for yourself at this price.

All the best,
    Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got my first invoice from Eric for the first big batch of Black Widows!

THE FIRST BATCH IS BEING MADE AS WE SPEAK.

$375 INTRODUCTORY price for the month of May, so take advantage of that and order one for yourself at this price.

All the best,
    Mark

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008 The A Train's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would it be possible to have a 'The Boss' model refaced/baffle lowered to the 'Black Widow' specs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi bro,
    No chance whatsoever. The Boss is great as is and if you want something lower and longer, get the Black Widow.
    It's got a way longer baffle than The Boss hr. All of my designs are original so you can't just change one thing and have it be the same as another mpc.
    The chamber, baffle, throat squeeze, etc, are all different than any of my other pieces.

It's a killer piece. I hope you get one.

I promise I will show pics once I have them once I have them, so you can see what I mean.

$375 INTRODUCTORY price tot the month of May,, so take advantage of that and order one for yourself at this price.

All the best,
    Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am hoping to have pictures of the finished product between Friday-Monday.

The overseas dealers have already started inquiring about this piece and I haven't even told them about it yet!!! SH*T, It's not even out yet.
    I will offer this price of $375 for the month of May, and then they will go to the $450 price like my other hard rubber's so the dealers overseas can buy them also.
    I can't sell to the dealers overseas with their discount at the introductory price because their discount will make it impossible.

My advice, is to grab one or several while you can at the less expensive price. If you don't dig it for some reason, wait till they go to $450 in a month and sell and actually MAKE money on it. Its TRULY a no brainer.

SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Great news, Mark!!

It's refreshing to see a mouthpiece designer who actually listens to the players needs instead of just trying to copy someone else's design. It's getting dizzying how many guys can't create something new...they just copy a piece, stamp their name on it, and claim it's the best out there. It's just nice to see someone actually doing something new and original. I bought your pieces what? 4 years ago now? Still on them and they cured my GAS forever. The Robusto has been my go-to mouthpiece and is just a joy to play. I'm sure this Black Widow piece will be fantastic as I know how crazy picky you are until things are just right.

Congratulations and thanks for making the best pieces in the world!!

- Saxaholic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Bill. I know how much you dig the other 3 pieces, and it means the world to me. I already have you on the list for the 1st group of Black Widows that go out.
    Its really the perfect crossover between The Robusto and The Boss. I know you will love this one too. It will just make your choices even harder when you go to your gigs.
    Yeah, loads of vintage copy pieces out there and thats what the mouthpiece market is all about. Same with the saxophone market. I just focus on what I do and all my passion goes into my 10mfan pieces.
    Players have asked for 2 different types of pieces from me, and I have been working on them for quite some time. The BLACK WIDOW is the first, and the 2nd (a classic, more vintage type of blow piece, compared to my current models) will come out in a few months.

If you want a copy of a Link, Guardala, Selmer, Meyer, Brilhart, Berg Larsen, Zimberoff, Freddie Gregory, Dukoff,...there are more than plenty out there in the marketplace already.
    If you want something unique and very special, try my 10mfan mouthpieces.
    Remember---- I have sold the best vintage pieces out there for over 30 years, and while many were wonderful mouthpieces...I wouldn't play ANY of those in the same categories, over my 10mfan models. There are thousands of players out there that feel the same way. Thats gotta tell you something.

$375 INTRODUCTORY price when you order for the ENTIRE MONTH OF MAY, so take advantage of that and order one for yourself at this price.

All the best,
    Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ivan got pulled away on a gig out of town for the weekend so he'll get us a recording when he gets back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the big week!!!

Pictures, another video, and the first batch of pieces will be sent to me.

VERY EXCITING!

$375 INTRODUCTORY price when you order for the ENTIRE MONTH OF MAY, so take advantage of that and order one for yourself at this price.

All the best,
    Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fantastic day of orders. Thank you all very much and keep the orders coming. Three more weeks left at the introductory price.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THE BLACK WIDOW IN ALL HER GLORY!

This piece is truly special. Huge sound with immense depth and body. Extremely versatile and flexible.
    I am incredibly proud to add this model to my 10mfan mouthpiece line.
    Made from the finest German bar stock hard rubber and each piece is hand finished by Eric Falcon.
    This piece has a moderate height, long baffle.

Vintage hard rubber Otto Links, Brilharts, Meyers, Dukoffs, Selmers, .... SIMPLY CANNOT DO WHAT THIS PIECE CAN DO!

Keep the orders coming.

Email me at: connsaxman@comcast.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for all the orders so far. Ivan Renta said he will be sending me an audio or two tomorrow so I will post them then.
    The mouthpieces play absolutely beautiful and I can't wait for everyone to get theirs.

All the best, Mark

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 10mfan View Post
    THE BLACK WIDOW IN ALL HER GLORY!

This piece is truly special. Huge sound with immense depth and body. Extremely versatile and flexible.
    I am incredibly proud to add this model to my 10mfan mouthpiece line.
    Made from the finest German bar stock hard rubber and each piece is hand finished by Eric Falcon.
    This piece has a moderate height, long baffle.

Vintage hard rubber Otto Links, Brilharts, Meyers, Dukoffs, Selmers, .... SIMPLY CANNOT DO WHAT THIS PIECE CAN DO!

Keep the orders coming.

Email me at: connsaxman@comcast.net

Do you have a side pic of the baffle so we can see how high it is? Is the height in between the Boss and Robusto baffles but longer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Steve, it's closer to the Robusto height.
    Once the next person is done with the recordings, the piece is coming to you.
    All the best, Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just got feedback from an SOTW member here who received their Black Widow mouthpiece.
    This made my entire day!

"I was honestly ready to give up on tenor prior to your mouthpieces. I just couldn't get the tone I wanted.
    Now, it's all I want to play".

Lisa Vox

You can't imagine how meaningful this is to me. I am so thankful.

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 10mfan View Post
    Hi Steve, it's closer to the Robusto height.
    Once the next person is done with the recordings, the piece is coming to you.
    All the best, Mark
    So......If I really dig the 7** Robusto and think it is the perfect tip opening for me would a 7** Black Widow be similar or does the longer baffle make people want a slightly more open tip......?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say if someone is playing a 7* Robusto, they would be completely comfortable on the 7* Black Widow.
    As with any new piece, just adjust your reed size accordingly.

Can't wait for you to try it out!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast