Rascher Saxophone Quartet with the Frankfurt Radio Symphony - Fazil Say, Preludes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rascher Saxophone Quartet with the Frankfurt Radio Symphony - Fazil Say, Preludes

Here is the link thanks to the excellent recording service of the Frankfurt Radio Symphony. Great example of RSQ's playing and the rest of the program is wonderfully rendered

Buescher New Aristocrat altos - 1933 265xxx & 1934 267xxx, True Tone alto 1922 99xxx, Aristocrat tenor 1946 308xxx & Aristocrat baritone 1952 346xxx. Wooden planks for reeds and cavernous chambers

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rascher Saxophone Quartet with the Frankfurt Radio Symphony - Fazil Say, Preludes

Thanks for sharing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rascher Saxophone Quartet with the Frankfurt Radio Symphony - Fazil Say, Preludes

I love Fazil Say. That slap tongue in the bari is out of this world.
    Alto: Yamaha Custom 875-EX; Vandoren Al3, Vandoren Blue Box 3.5; Lebayle AT 7, Rigotti Gold 3M
    Tenor: Selmer Mark VII; Rousseau Classic 4R, Vandoren Blue Box 4; 10mfan Robusto 7**, Rigotti Gold 3M
    I write music sometimes

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for posting this. I found "Preludes" rhythmically engaging, but the quality of the writing for saxophone was somewhat hit-or-miss for me. At times it was rich and appealing, but occasionally the special effects came through with an almost vaudevillian emphasis, particularly in the first movement. The RSQ handled everything with aplomb, but if I had to point to something illustrating why the quartet is outstanding, I'd probably cite the encore rather than Say's piece.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LostConn View Post
    Thank you for posting this. I found "Preludes" rhythmically engaging, but the quality of the writing for saxophone was somewhat hit-or-miss for me. At times it was rich and appealing, but occasionally the special effects came through with an almost vaudevillian emphasis, particularly in the first movement. The RSQ handled everything with aplomb, but if I had to point to something illustrating why the quartet is outstanding, I'd probably cite the encore rather than Say's piece.
    I agree entirely - I had that vaudevillian impression in certain spots as well as a bit of anxiety as to how the audience may have perceived it. I imagine there is a sensitive spot for everyone who is serious about classical saxophone in regards to music that leaves that sort of impression - there is for me, anyway. If there was anyone in that audience who grumbled at the flutter tonguing or the slap tonguing in Preludes, the Bach put them on their feet. The wonderful organ-like ring of the last chord at the end is amazing.
    Buescher New Aristocrat altos - 1933 265xxx & 1934 267xxx, True Tone alto 1922 99xxx, Aristocrat tenor 1946 308xxx & Aristocrat baritone 1952 346xxx. Wooden planks for reeds and cavernous chambers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The original link has been removed and the HR have re-uploaded the performance into two separate videos, one showing the Preludes and the other showing the Bach Encore, listed below.