Sax on the Web Forum banner

Thoughts on Zephyr Special altos?

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  bruce bailey 
#1 ·
I feel like these are the most under appreciated, overlooked, underestimated horns ever made. I use one as a backup horn for when my mark VI is getting overhauled, but I'm starting to like it better. They're also incredibly good looking instruments in my opinion. I love the engraved key cups and the full pearls. The regular zephyr just looks so plain comparatively. How do you guys like these horns?

#5 ·
People didn't like the intro...

#4 ·
I am nutz for altos. I used my Mark VI for 35 years and now have some great horns, the VI, Conn 6M, 28M, all Martin models and about 2 years ago I got a Z special here at SOTW because it looked so nice. To my surprise, I like it as my main alto right now. That is saying something about the Z. Sterling neck and full pearls AND an outstanding player. Head of the class!

#7 ·
Old thread. Anyway, a Zephyr Special alto was my first saxophone, bought used by my folks, way back around 1963. I don't think it was very expensive, because that was when saxes were old or new, and vintage had not yet been invented. It came in a custom case with room for a flute, pearl everythin, triple hook ring, silver neck, and yes really a sterling silver bell.

Wish I still had it.

#8 ·
Old thread. Anyway, a Zephyr Special alto was my first saxophone, bought used by my folks, way back around 1963. I don't think it was very expensive, because that was when saxes were old or new, and vintage had not yet been invented. It came in a custom case with room for a flute, pearl everythin, triple hook ring, silver neck, and yes really a sterling silver bell.

Wish I still had it.
A Zephyr Special with a sterling bell?
Are you sure that wasn't a S20?
Do you have pictures either way?

#10 ·
I went looking for a Zephyr Special alto last year, and ended up settling for a regular ol' Zephyr. It's not very pretty, and the only silver's in the solder, but my Zeph sounds and feels just like a Super 20 I recently played.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.