Sax on the Web Forum banner

Jam Sessions in Memphis

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Waver 
#1 ·
Hi all, I'm going on a big road trip through the US in June and I will be in Memphis, TN on a thursday. Being from Detroit, I have been to the Motown Museum and I have a great affinity for all things soul and plan on visiting the Stax museum and seeing some live music. I am a bari player full time, but the nature of this trip does not allow the space in my car for a case that big, so I'm bringing my tenor along for the ride. I don't really care what kind of jam it is, but since it's Memphis, I would love it to be a blues jam. I have scoured the internet and I have not found much in terms of jams except for the Memphis Blues Society jam on sundays. Every venue I looked up has music almost every night of the week, but I have found nothing about jam sessions at the clubs. I would really appreciate it if some locals could help me out and point me in any direction on whats happening in Memphis on a thursday night. Thanks.

#4 ·
The Memphis Blues Society does have a Thursday night jam at the Stage Stop in Bartlett (a Memphis suburb). If you go, be prepared, this place is a real hole. I passed it several times even though I was using GPS. For what it's worth, I've been to this jam once.

Some very good blues players do show up, but the jam has some of the same drawbacks as other jams that have been discussed on SOTW, including dominance of loud guitar players - but I guess that's what Memphis blues is.

Photos from the jam are often posted on the Mid-South Musicians' Facebook page, so I can tell you that a couple of horn players regularly show up. They did when I was there, and we played some horn section stuff and alternated solos with the guitar players. It was okay fun, but there's a lot of sitting around waiting for your chance to play three songs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.