Play-along software for Raspberry Pi?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Play-along software for Raspberry Pi?

Does anyone know if there's something like Band-in-a-Box or iReal Pro that can run on a Raspberry Pi? I'd like to set up a RPi in my practice space that I can link to my music library for transcribing, and having some play-along software would be a nice addition. I think MuseScore runs on RPi if I ever want to compose/arrange something on the go, but I'd hate to use it for playback.
    Soprano - Antigua Winds 590-BC JodyJazz Classic 7-3/4, Legere Signature; Rascher, Legere Classic, Olegature
    Alto - Yamaha YAS-875EXB JodyJazz Classic 9, Legere Studio Cut, Rovner Dark; Rascher, Legere Classic, Francois Louis
    Tenor - Yamaha YTS-62 JodyJazz Classic 12, Legere Studio Cut, Rovner Dark; Rascher, Legere Classic, Francois Louis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Play-along software for Raspberry Pi?

No. Why don't you get an atom powered PC instead. They run windows and therefore could run Band in a Box for Windows.

Otherwise, the other option would be to just generate practice audio files and have the Pi play them back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ericdano View Post
    No. Why don't you get an atom powered PC instead. They run windows and therefore could run Band in a Box for Windows.
    Because I have multiple Raspberry Pis, but no Atom pcs. Besides, if I had something capable of running Windows I'd probably Hackintosh it anyway. I've been using my iPad running through a tv (better speaker), and it's fine. I just like complicated solutions to simple problems.
    Soprano - Antigua Winds 590-BC JodyJazz Classic 7-3/4, Legere Signature; Rascher, Legere Classic, Olegature
    Alto - Yamaha YAS-875EXB JodyJazz Classic 9, Legere Studio Cut, Rovner Dark; Rascher, Legere Classic, Francois Louis
    Tenor - Yamaha YTS-62 JodyJazz Classic 12, Legere Studio Cut, Rovner Dark; Rascher, Legere Classic, Francois Louis

Distinguished SOTW Technician
    Forum Contributor 2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe that your only choice is to use a DAW like LMMS to handle playback/editing of MIDI files. Then you'd need a MIDI file library of the tunes you want to play along with. The jazz Real Book MIDI files I've found are pretty cheesy but you might find some that are decent if you look.

BTW, I've never tried LMMS on a Pi, just a laptop running Ubuntu. I never got far with it since I own lots of music software for Windows.

My 2-cents.
    Life is like a box of reeds: ya' never know whatcha gonna get.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eulipion2 View Post
    I've been using my iPad running through a tv (better speaker), and it's fine. I just like complicated solutions to simple problems.

sorry but if you have an Ipad, why don’t you get I real pro? It ALSO runs also on any Android device even cheap ones.

http://www.irealpro.com
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some dont. Those who have the cherries arent likely to share them though.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 warp x's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post
    sorry but if you have an Ipad, why don’t you get I real pro?
    Because he likes complicated solutions for non existent problems?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That’s a good one.

when I was using large format cameras I always said to myself that I belonged to a group of people whom went by the motto “ Why do it the simple way when you can do it the VERY difficult way!”

Few years ago I decided that life was too short for that!
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some dont. Those who have the cherries arent likely to share them though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry but if you have an Ipad, why don’t you get I real pro? It ALSO runs also on any Android device even cheap ones.

http://www.irealpro.com
    That's what I'm using when I run the iPad through the TV. But I have to use a Lightning-to-HDMI dongle, and I'd like to have a wireless keyboard/mouse for any time I want to start/stop/change a song.

EDIT: Also, I use Anytune Pro for slowing down solos I can't get at full speed.

Quote Originally Posted by warp x View Post
    Because he likes complicated solutions for non existent problems?
    Thank you! I can't seem to state that enough.

Wife: "There are much simpler solutions available! Why did you do that?"
    Me: "Because I can."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Few years ago I decided that life was too short for that!
    Probably true, but I have a lot of free time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

since I am semi-retired I have too but yet I don’t scratch my right ear using my left hand (I often see people doing this with their phone by the way, never understood why).

Check out Ireal Pro, really, at this point I don’t know anyone who doesn’t use it on Apple or Android.

I understand being peculiar about computer things but everything has to be a means to an end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out Ireal Pro, really, at this point I don’t know anyone who doesn’t use it on Apple or Android.
    I'm already using that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

then I don’t understand the question, if you already have IrealPro, why don’t you use it, the devices are small and their capability is huge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

then I don’t understand the question, if you already have IrealPro, why don’t you use it, the devices are small and their capability is huge.
    I am using it. As I mentioned above, I'd prefer to have a purpose built practice system that I can just leave in my practice space, that I can control remotely via wireless mouse/keyboard, something I can't do with a dongle-tethered iPad. Also, I just really like to tinker, and would like to find a use for my RPi's.

Basically, I have a solution that works, but I want a different solution that works, not out of necessity, rather out of a desire to tinker for creative purpose. I'm working on a number of other RPi and Arduino projects that I don't need, but would just be fun to make.