Martin Indiana Alto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Martin Indiana Alto

Greetings

I'm not very familiar with Martin saxophones. I would like to know a bit about the Martin Indiana model. I've heard that it's an intermediate-ish horn and the key work is compareable to the Martin Committee but has a thinner tone that the professional line Martins.

With all of the previously stated considered in mind, I'm looking for a horn to take with me on a road trip in the summer. I think it'll be too risky to take my Mark VII with me, as I'm afraid something will happen to it. I want to take some kind of horn with me on vacation because I'm anticipating on making a spot for the State Jazz competition and I don't want to be left without a horn for more than a day. (I'll be spending about 2 weeks out of state) Would the Martin Indiana be a good road trip horn? I've found one on eBay for a cheap price and it's in great condition.
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW member/
    Official SOTW Sister
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Martin Indiana Alto

Thinner tone than the pro line Martins? Bullcrap!
    I wouldn't trade my old Indiana for your Mark VII.
    If you want a 'cheap' road trip horn get a no name saxophone shaped object.
    The Indiana deserves a bit more respect than you seem to want to give it.
    Old reed players are like fine wine. They only get better with age. Tom Hagen

Play the Music, not the instrument.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same sound and pretty much the same body. The keywork is a bit better on the Committees mostly the LH pinky keys. Great horns for a nice price.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Martin Indianas play nearly identical to the Martin Handcraft models. Lush, sweet Martin sound. I have had multiple Indiana altos and tenors. The first Martin alto that I had, the one that hooked me on Martin saxophones, was the sweetest playing alto that I had, only slightly beat out by the Conn 26M that I had at the same time and I like it better than the Series II and the other 8 altos that I also had at the time. These are a lot sax for the money when in good playing condition. I now have a Magna alto and tenor which are great, but miss having and playing the Indiana horns. I will have another of each at some point in the future. Out of the 4 different Indiana versions, I prefer the Committee Style with the nickle plated keys and the kidney shaped upper and adjustable lower thumb rest. Others like the all brass key models the best. This will be a different than the VII, I had a VII tenor that was great, smooth and even playing throughout the horn, but did not have the personality, the sweet high notes and Lush lows that the Indiana tenor had and both were setup properly. This is my experience with said horns.

Distinguished SOTW Member Stocker's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a 1925 Handcraft and a 1953 Indiana and I'm fairly certain they're the same horn with some keywork and tonehole-placement differences. The Indiana is a plenty respectable sax from a playing standpoint. It would be an excellent backup horn for the right price, but a cheap beater it is not .

But beware, it may tempt you away from your VII entirely. I didn't even like alto until I got my Handcraft. (The Indiana came along later because I couldn't turn down a $60 horn with 95% lacquer and a near-perfect original case.)
    Martin & Conn saxophones
    Leblanc, Pedler, Bettoney, & H.N. White clarinets

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only problem I see with the Indianas is that the market for all Martins is low right now. If you need to put work into the horn, there are nice Committees around for under $1,000 ready to play BUT if you score an Indiana in good playing shape for $500-600, you have a bargain.