Solo you shedded that had the most impact on developing your vocabulary?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Contributor 2013-2017
    Watertown, MA or Grand Cayman depending on the weather
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Solo you shedded that had the most impact on developing your vocabulary?

I am primarily self-taught, but have finally taken a few lessons over the past year or so. Regarding my improvisation ability, the consensus feedback I have received is that I play well, everything is harmonically correct and even occasionally interesting, but I need more ideas and more vocabulary. The recommendation, no surprise, was to transcribe and shed some solos of the greats I admire.

I am a late bloomer and have way less ability at my age to memorize solos or even licks than I use to. It requires way more time and repetition these days. That combined with my limited time left on this fine planet means I need to be efficient about which solos I chose to work on, as I figure realistically I will only be able to internalize one or two per year (unlike my last instructor who spent 10-15 hours a day for three years memorizing a large chunk of Parker’s omnibook).

So… what solo have you shedded (or would recommend) that gave you the most return for your time spent in terms of vocabulary, ideas, and improvisational conception?

(Please note I am not asking for your favorite solo, rather I'm asking about the one that had the most impact on your ability to improvise.)

(also, I am purposely not mentioning who my favorite players are as I don’t want to limit the scope of recommendations).

Thanks
    Selmer Mark VI tenor, Yamaha 82zUL tenor, Yamaha YAS62 alto, Yamaha YSS475 soprano, Cannonball Vintage Reborn soprano, Yamaha WX5 wind synthesizer, various blues harps (Mississippi saxes), ocarina, didgeridoo

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Solo you shedded that had the most impact on developing your vocabulary?

Cannonball's take on Stars Fell On Alabama

Distinguished SOTW Member buddy lee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Solo you shedded that had the most impact on developing your vocabulary?

Great question, following.
    "Can't never could."

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW member/
    Official SOTW Sister
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There have been a couple of the more classical nature that have expanded my cuss word vocabulary.
    Old reed players are like fine wine. They only get better with age. Tom Hagen

Play the Music, not the instrument.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I rarely practiced a solo - they were spontaneous for me, with one exception . . . the famous Picou clarinet chorus on HIGH SOCIETY. But that sure didn't help me with any other solo, save for the skill-level that aided my development as a player. DAVE.
    Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prez on "Lester Leaps In." Not that I've learned a lot of solos, but I did learn that one, and it really helped me "get" rhythm changes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To the original post: The one that I've enjoyed listening to and digging into the most, the one that I've spent the most time diligently shedding with a metronome, the one I've spent the most time analyzing lines from, the one that I've taken/created the most patterns from.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craigmultireedguy View Post
    To the original post: The one that I've enjoyed listening to and digging into the most, the one that I've spent the most time diligently shedding with a metronome, the one I've spent the most time analyzing lines from, the one that I've taken/created the most patterns from.
    And that one would be?.......
    Selmer Mark VI tenor, Yamaha 82zUL tenor, Yamaha YAS62 alto, Yamaha YSS475 soprano, Cannonball Vintage Reborn soprano, Yamaha WX5 wind synthesizer, various blues harps (Mississippi saxes), ocarina, didgeridoo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dexter's solo on Watermelon Man, which was relatively manageable at the time. And while I don't sound anything like him, it was in trying to emulate his sound that I first really opened up my throat and adjusted my palate properly. To this day, playing along to any Dexter tune helps me set my tone right where I want it.
    A little bit louder and a little bit worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I transcribed a solo Dexter Gordon took on Body and Soul - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xGPHseCQrI

This solo taught me how to really play a ballad. It is almost its own style and genre of music.

Dexter Gordon also has many other great takes on this song.
    Quarter Tone Technique For Saxophone - quartertonesaxophone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mi000ke View Post
    And that one would be?.......
    I left it out intentionally. Whether or not you're asking out of curiosity, it's going to be different than it was or perhaps will be for me. You'll get the most out of a solo that you dig into more passionately than the rest.

Also, I doubt I could pick just one. I've transcribed hundreds and hundreds of solos over the years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would work on Honky Tonk for R&B, Take Five from the Timeout album for jazz, and Harlem Nocturne, Sam the Man Taylor's version on the Blue Mist album for a ballad.

Forum Contributor 2017 BrianMitchellBrody's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me it began with Tom Scott's Solo on Jazzman by Carole King.
    �We are what we repeatedly do.
    Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.�
    ~Aristotle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bandmommy View Post
    There have been a couple of the more classical nature that have expanded my cuss word vocabulary.
    LOL! I see we've played many of the same pieces! ;-)

To kinda-sorta answer the OP's question, one of the solos I spent a LOT of time on many moons ago was the Rollins/Stitt exchange on Eternal Triangle. Add about 30 of Andrew White's 'Trane transcriptions to that gaggle and yup.......that's been my main vocabulary expander.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dexter... Watermelon Man, Blue Bossa and Dont Explain...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craigmultireedguy View Post
    I You'll get the most out of a solo that you dig into more passionately than the rest..
    Good point

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMitchellBrody View Post
    For me it began with Tom Scott's Solo on Jazzman by Carole King.
    .. which sounds a lot like Jr. Walker.. for R&B Jr. is an excellent influence..

Distinguished SOTW member/
    Official SOTW Sister
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jgreiner View Post
    LOL! I see we've played many of the same pieces! ;-)

To kinda-sorta answer the OP's question, one of the solos I spent a LOT of time on many moons ago was the Rollins/Stitt exchange on Eternal Triangle. Add about 30 of Andrew White's 'Trane transcriptions to that gaggle and yup.......that's been my main vocabulary expander.
    I can't improvise to save my ample derriere (sp?)
    Connecting the dots and putting a bit of me in the interpretation has at times made me think bad words out loud. Lots and lots of bad words in combinations not usually heard in nature...
    Old reed players are like fine wine. They only get better with age. Tom Hagen

Play the Music, not the instrument.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bandmommy View Post
    I can't improvise to save my ample derriere (sp?)
    Connecting the dots and putting a bit of me in the interpretation has at times made me think bad words out loud. Lots and lots of bad words in combinations not usually heard in nature...
    Ha! Seriously tho.......have you ever tried or had anyone decent (important IMO) attempt to teach you? I guess a more relevant question would be have you ever had the desire to learn the basics of improvisation? Just curious.
    I agree about the connecting the dots thing too. It's kinda like a nice (not) change of pace sometimes to create new words trying to play something out of the Ferling book, or the Glazunov (sp?) Concerto instead of the usual "why in the hell can't I play rhythm changes better" thing! I guess no matter what style of music we play, the level of frustration is often pretty equal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sonny Rollins, Moritat on Saxophone Colossus

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast