Sax on the Web Forum banner

This is how you build a solo.......

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  clarnut 
#1 ·
I happened upon this this morning and have been listening to it for the last two hours. The thing I love about music is it doesn't change. We change but the music doesn't. I bought this Miles Davis Live video in the early 90's and I still remember watching this solo. I started sitting down, then I stood up, then I started pacing, then I said "No way!", then I started running my fingers through my hair mumbling "What is this?" Then I started jumping up and down as I couldn't hold the excitement in.....

Now almost 30 years later I still have that feeling when I listen to this! It's Kenny Garrett soloing on Human Nature. Up until I heard this I had never heard a sax solo with this kind of energy. It blew my mind. Kelly Bucheger did a great transcription of it and analysis of it to check out also and I put think on there. If this is your first time watching it then strap yourself in..............Now I'm going to listen to it again........

http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2011/03/killer-kenny-garrett-solo-with-miles/

#3 ·
Yes, great solo! I don't know the story behind this Paris concert, but Kenny must have been a special guest: he didn't have his own mike; he played the whole solo into the mike on Miles's Harmon mute.

#4 ·
No, he was in the band. On the original video he started playing his solo and the mic kept cutting out. Kenny was getting super mad and frustrated you could see it on his face. Miles then calls him over and holds up his trumpet for him to play into his mic. That was what led up to this solo. I think all that anger fueled him for the solo!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.