Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Buffet Stencil Alto. Help ID

Hey guys,

I came across this alto in the store I'm working at and I was really trying to get an ID on this horn before we decide on a price and making an accurate description.

I'd love to hear from you guys who are more knowledgeable. To me this horn looks like a SDA Stencil. I can't find Buffets Name on it (or any other name).

The Engraving is not as Sharp or Ornate as the SDA's I've seen and there is no black background on the bell to body brace.

The serial number is 470XX which does not comply with the Buffet Serial chart I found online. And the only word I see on it is Italy stamped under the Serial.

It's had a recent overhaul. Plays very very well. I am not an alto player but I had a hard time putting it down.

Thanks for looking!

P1090847.jpgP1090850.jpgP1090851.jpg
    This is my sound. There are some like it but this one is mine.
    My sound is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
    Without me, my sound is useless. Without my sound, I am useless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Forum Contributor 2016-17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Buffet Stencil Alto. Help ID

I'm far from an expert but it has elements in common with my SDA tenor, the pinky cluster and the sliding low B/Bb linkages in particular. The bell brace. It's hard to see but the octave mechanism looks right, too. Matt Stohrer's SDA video on youtube will help you figure it out.

And yes, I'd expect an SDA stencil to have a very rich sound. If I were you I'd try to buy it myself, they're amazing horns and it would bring my universe into better balance.
    Buffet Super Dynaction Tenor 16xxx
    Buescher Aristocrat Tenor 270xxx
    Phil-Tone Sapphire 6*

Buescher Aristocrat 140 Alto 331xxx
    Phil-Tone Aurora 6

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chilehed View Post
    I'm far from an expert but it has elements in common with my SDA tenor, the pinky cluster and the sliding low B/Bb linkages in particular. The bell brace. It's hard to see but the octave mechanism looks right, too. Matt Stohrer's SDA video on youtube will help you figure it out.

And yes, I'd expect an SDA stencil to have a very rich sound. If I were you I'd try to buy it myself, they're amazing horns and it would bring my universe into better balance.
    Thanks for the Info. As I suspected. I'm no alto player. I barely get enough gigs on tenor. But if I were to buy an alto and could afford it there's no doubt this one would be it.

It's on consignment for a customer as well so I couldn't even put it on my account and pay it off over a while. Based on the fact that it's a stencil I think we are going to ask roughly $1400 CDN for it.
    This is my sound. There are some like it but this one is mine.
    My sound is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
    Without me, my sound is useless. Without my sound, I am useless.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi. this is an italian saxophone made by giglio factory, located in como.
    it is not a sda stencil, i had a tenor and it had nothing in common except for the similar key guard.
    the italian sax was more lighter with a different neck.
    anyway it was a good instrument funny to play, even if it was surely thinked as cheaper horn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like a SDA