Recmmended mouthpiece?

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 & Auntie Mame AltoRuth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Recmmended mouthpiece?

I have a Buescher Eb Alto True Tone which plays flat ... it's a new instrument (for me) and I'm wondering if there are some mpcs which work better on this horn than the ones I typically use on my Selmer Serie III ( Meyer 5 or Selmer S90). Recommendations please!
    "Already too loud!"
    Bruno Walter at his first rehearsal with an American orchestra, on seeing the players reaching for their instruments.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Recmmended mouthpiece?

Does the whole horn play flat? If so, adjust the mouthpiece further in on the cork. If it is difficult to do so, sand the cork so it is cylindrical, lube with cork grease for ease of adjustment, then PLAY!

If you are thrown by the amount of visible cork, please realize that the length of cork is arbitrary.
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

As a Veteran for Peace, I am already against the next war.

SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a TT alto and every mpc I've tried on it works just fine. It also plays very well in tune. So it would appear that you do need to push the mpc farther onto the cork, as Dr G suggests. But, Ruth, I suspect you are well aware of that. Have you tried it? If so and the horn still plays flat, there is something else going on. I doubt very much it's the mpc.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've owned TT altos (and soprano - and C-Melody) . . . nice saxophones. Every one I've owned came to pitch easily with all of my mouthpieces (several). I will point out that my current sopranos are mostly vintage and two MKVI's. When I play the old ones alongside my MKVI's, I can use the same mouthpieces but they are placed differently on the corks because of each horn's individual tuning characteristics . . . and chamber size has no effect on the issue.

I agree with Dr G about placement of the mouthpiece(s). It will most likely be different with your TT than with your modern alto.
    Dave

Forum Contributor 2016-17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it a Big B or a series IV.?
    I practice with a IV every day. It never plays flat. The timbre changes -depending on the mouthpiece.

It's a great saxophone when it's set up right..check for leaks. " Set up Right" is the key that's about $800
    It can play plenty loud. I never played a Selmer so I can't compare. But I do play a Martin and love it...
    Just a different beast.

I use the Meyer 5M when I want it loud w/contrast. I also was recommended a Plastic Rico Metalite M7
    My current favorite mouthpiece is a old rubber Woodwind B6 that's been opened up but still only 0.67, and has scouped out sidewalls. It's bright with a hint of dark.
    I also use a huge chambered Buescher Eb mouthpiece that very dark, and some say flat...but great when my neighbors are
    Trying to sleep.

Let us know what you discover!

SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ProfLeighton View Post
    Is it a Big B or a series IV.?
    Those would be Aristocrats. I'm assuming Ruth means the prior model ('20s vintage).

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AltoRuth! My, it's good to see you 'round these parts again. I'm with JL, as I've always found my TT alto rather mouthpiece friendly. I suppose you could go for a pea-shooter type mouthpiece; small chambered, high baffled. But I wouldn't suppose that might be your fancy. So let me ask, is low Bb hopelessly flat? If not, it might be your overall key heights which may need to be opened up a bit. You could also try a harder reed which would have you put a bit more pressure on the bite to bring up the pitch.

I will say though, that sometimes you just get a dog. Though I absolutely love vintage Buescher sopranos, I did come across one that played hopelessly flat and there was absolutely no working around it.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 & Auntie Mame AltoRuth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THanks for the replies, all. The horn is currently in the shop having a "tune-up", i.e. a couple of leaks and a few other mechanical tweaks; I will get it back next week and see how it plays then. I haven't tried sanding down the cork, which will be the next logical thing to do (and also see if any of my other mpcs can be pushed further onto the cork. I'm not able at this time to consider going for the major $800 set-up as suggested above.

And thanks for answering the mpc question. It seems the consensus is that the True Tone is generally a mpc-friendly horn and should play well with many. I will certainly be eager to try it out with some of the others I have.

Thanks for the words of welcome, Grumps. I hope all is well with you. I'm still playing, probably too much, mainly concert bands (3), two swing ensembles (one of which I think is above my level of ability; I may drop that one as I don't have the time or the background to improve much). Also play with a sax quartet which I'm really liking. As you noted, I've taken a long break from SOTW, but will probably stop by a little more frequently.
    "Already too loud!"
    Bruno Walter at his first rehearsal with an American orchestra, on seeing the players reaching for their instruments.

SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AltoRuth View Post
    THanks for the replies, all. The horn is currently in the shop having a "tune-up", i.e. a couple of leaks and a few other mechanical tweaks; I will get it back next week and see how it plays then. I haven't tried sanding down the cork, which will be the next logical thing to do (and also see if any of my other mpcs can be pushed further onto the cork.
    If some leaks are getting fixed, I bet it will play much better, Ruth. And hey, one thing I've noticed with every alto I've owned is I had to push the mpc well in on the cork, well past the half way point. So if the cork is too thick to allow that, then definitely sand it down a bit (when you pick the horn up you might ask your tech to do it; bring the mpc along to test the fit) so you can really push that mpc on. That could be the whole problem right there, as Dr G suggested.

Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Forum Contributor 2010-2017 maddenma's Avatar
    Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY, USA, Earth, Orion's Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Super Cluster, Known Universe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, let's ask a couple important questions. First 3 digits of the serial number, and is there a number stamped on the neck at the tenon?
    1926 Buescher Model 122 True Tone Series III Gold Plated Soprano
    1936 Buescher Model 139 Custom Built Bare Brass Baritone
    1938 Buescher Model 127 Aristocrat (Art Deco) Tenor

1938 Buescher Model 139 Aristocrat Gold Plated Baritone (some day)
    1947 Buescher Model B-11 400 (Top Hat & Cane) Bare Brass Tenor
    1949 Buescher Model B-7 400 (Top Hat & Cane) Silver Plated Alto
    1949 Buescher Model 140 Aristocrat (Big B) Alto
    1949 Buescher Model 156 Aristocrat (Big B) Gold Plated Tenor
    1970-something Yamaha Model YBS-61 Baritone
    2015 Vibrato A1S III Plastic Alto

Morgan, Ishimori, Strathon, and Theo Wanna Mouthpieces.

Nothing works so well in gathering information as a display of ignorance. I learn something new every day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maddenma View Post
    Well, let's ask a couple important questions. First 3 digits of the serial number, and is there a number stamped on the neck at the tenon?
    The first 3 digits of the serial number are 227. I never looked to see if there was a number on the neck and can't look now 'cause it's still in the shop. Hope to have it back next week.
    "Already too loud!"

SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AltoRuth View Post
    The first 3 digits of the serial number are 227.
    The yes, definitely a ('20s era) True Tone, which predates the Big B Aristocrat that ProfLeighton mentioned by several years. Also the split-bell keys, which it surely has, are pre-Aristocrat with the exception of the earliest "New Aristocrat" horn.

Forum Contributor 2012 Skoothondjie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Ruth. I own a circa '29 True Tone alto. Lovely horn! I have played it with over 10 mouthpieces and have also found it to be very mouthpiece friendly.
    However, a rule of thumb that many on this forum recommend (correct me if I'm wrong) is to stick with mpcs with a round chamber as this will bring out the best your True Tone has to offer. Yes, the tune-up was a great call. Please spare yourself a lot of frustration and get an annual or bi-annual check-up as minor leaks will affect the ease of playing.
    The tune-up should do the trick. Please keep us posted.

Forum Contributor 2013-15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am eager to hear if the tune up fixed the problem.