Bari Baroque mouthpieces?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bari Baroque mouthpieces?

In my recent research for new mouthpieces I've stumbled upon the Bari Baroque line, but I can't find much info about them. I love the dark tone of the Rascher pieces, and find Selmer-style pieces rather bright for my classical preference. But Raschers, especially my soprano piece, can be a little finicky.

So, has anyone tried these pieces on any of their horns? Where do these pieces fit in to the tonal spectrum? Playability/resistance? Any info would be helpful.
    Soprano - Antigua Winds 590-BC JodyJazz Classic 7-3/4, Legere Signature; Rascher, Legere Classic, Olegature
    Alto - Yamaha YAS-875EXB JodyJazz Classic 9, Legere Studio Cut, Rovner Dark; Rascher, Legere Classic, Francois Louis
    Tenor - Yamaha YTS-62 JodyJazz Classic 12, Legere Studio Cut, Rovner Dark; Rascher, Legere Classic, Francois Louis

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-2016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bari Baroque mouthpieces?

They're like S80s with worse facings.
    Current setups:
    Yamaha YSS-875EX, Rousseau RC3 (refaced by Joe Giardullo), Ishimori lig,Hemke 3.5
    Yamaha YAS-875EXS, Rousseau RC4 (refaced by Brian Powell), Ishimori lig,Hemke 3.5
    Yamaha YTS-875EX, Rousseau NC4, BG Ishimori lig, Hemke 3.5
    Unison Black Nickel Bari, Rousseau NC4, BG Tradition lig, Hemke 3.5

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Worse?

that makes it a real sad state of affairs.

I make an s-80 type piece for private shops that got tired of going through a stack of s-80's to find one that plays right.

Not my favorite piece to make. A bit on the dull side. I guess its supposed to be

If you have a classical piece that has a sound you like it may be worth it to just have a good facing put on it.
    Phil-Tone Custom Woodwinds
    Custom Mouthpiece Design

www.Phil-Tone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J.Max View Post
    They're like S80s with worse facings.
    Ooo, a glowing recommendation!

Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund451 View Post
    If you have a classical piece that has a sound you like it may be worth it to just have a good facing put on it.
    Might not be a bad idea.

Raschers take some time to get used to, but even after spending some time with it the tip is just really closed and there's quite a bit of resistance. I should probably just shut up and keep practicing until I like it. I'm very happy with my tone in general, but I've heard Caravans are just a tad brighter and easier to play, so I might try one of those at some point. I just wanted to get an idea of the Bari piece before I made any major changes. Apparently I should move along - nothing to see here.
    Soprano - Antigua Winds 590-BC JodyJazz Classic 7-3/4, Legere Signature; Rascher, Legere Classic, Olegature
    Alto - Yamaha YAS-875EXB JodyJazz Classic 9, Legere Studio Cut, Rovner Dark; Rascher, Legere Classic, Francois Louis
    Tenor - Yamaha YTS-62 JodyJazz Classic 12, Legere Studio Cut, Rovner Dark; Rascher, Legere Classic, Francois Louis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should also probably mention that I'm talking about my soprano setup. I'm quite happy with my Raschers on alto and tenor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eulipion2 View Post
    Ooo, a glowing recommendation!

Might not be a bad idea.

Raschers take some time to get used to, but even after spending some time with it the tip is just really closed and there's quite a bit of resistance. I should probably just shut up and keep practicing until I like it. I'm very happy with my tone in general, but I've heard Caravans are just a tad brighter and easier to play, so I might try one of those at some point. I just wanted to get an idea of the Bari piece before I made any major changes. Apparently I should move along - nothing to see here.
    I found that when I switched from Yamaha saxophones to Bueschers for Rascher school playing, the resistance changed quite a bit and it was more manageable (the sound was better, too, but that's just my opinion). It might have something to do with bore design.
    1934 Buescher New Aristocrat alto, 267,xxx "outback rescue horn"
    1922 Buescher True Tone "The Buescher" alto, 99,xxx, garden variety
    1933 Buescher New Aristocrat alto, 265,xxx, silver, 01 neck

Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it aint broke, dont fix it.
    Custom Mouthpiece Design

www.Phil-Tone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eradium View Post
    I found that when I switched from Yamaha saxophones to Bueschers for Rascher school playing, the resistance changed quite a bit and it was more manageable (the sound was better, too, but that's just my opinion). It might have something to do with bore design.
    The problem isn't the Yamahas, it's the Antigua Winds sop. Alto and tenor sound and play great -- earned my degree with those setups (12 years ago -- crap, I'm getting old!), but I finally started dedicating some time to classical sop and just haven't taken to the Rascher as easily as I did on the other horns. My grievances are minor and tolerable, and my tone is still great, I was just curious about the Bari piece.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too true!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem isn't the Yamahas, it's the Antigua Winds sop. Alto and tenor sound and play great -- earned my degree with those setups (12 years ago -- crap, I'm getting old!), but I finally started dedicating some time to classical sop and just haven't taken to the Rascher as easily as I did on the other horns. My grievances are minor and tolerable, and my tone is still great, I was just curious about the Bari piece.
    If there is any issue with a setup, it's going to be more pronounced the smaller you go, saxophone-wise. I would definitely recommend the Caravan pieces. Either that or send the Rascher soprano mouthpiece to Laurence Wyman, his refacings are fantastic. Wyman only charges $50 and that covers postage back to you as well.

Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or shock the conductor: Switch to a Guardala.
    Custom Mouthpiece Design

www.Phil-Tone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or shock the conductor: Switch to a Guardala.
    I hear they blend beautifully!

Distinguished Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should also probably mention that I'm talking about my soprano setup. I'm quite happy with my Raschers on alto and tenor.
    Ridenour used to make a nice Rascher style piece too. I don't think he makes them anymore but you might ask.
    Current setups:
    Yamaha YSS-875EX, Rousseau RC3 (refaced by Joe Giardullo), Ishimori lig,Hemke 3.5
    Yamaha YAS-875EXS, Rousseau RC4 (refaced by Brian Powell), Ishimori lig,Hemke 3.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ridenour used to make a nice Rascher style piece too. I don't think he makes them anymore but you might ask.
    Thanks, J.Max. The Ridenour website only shows clarinet mouthpieces. Weiner has A/T/B, but no soprano. Meh. I'll stick with Siggy for now.

Distinguished Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eradium View Post
    If there is any issue with a setup, it's going to be more pronounced the smaller you go, saxophone-wise. I would definitely recommend the Caravan pieces. Either that or send the Rascher soprano mouthpiece to Laurence Wyman, his refacings are fantastic. Wyman only charges $50 and that covers postage back to you as well.
    Is he still doing these facings? I don't have his info anymore...
    Current setups:

Distinguished Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, J.Max. The Ridenour website only shows clarinet mouthpieces. Weiner has A/T/B, but no soprano. Meh. I'll stick with Siggy for now.
    You might also check with Joe at Soprano Planet too. He's making some pieces for Paul Cohen and he just did a FANTASTIC metal Selmer for me. I'm having him rebalance a Rousseau piece too.
    Current setups:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is he still doing these facings? I don't have his info anymore...
    I emailed him at Laurence.Wyman@fredonia.edu and he responded very quickly, it's likely that that is the same email you had at one point.

Distinguished Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is the same email I have, but I know that he is no longer teaching there, so I assumed that his email didn't work. Bad assumption!
    Current setups:

Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But these are Very Broken (Bari Baroquen)- they NEED a good fix.
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

As a Veteran for Peace, I am already against the next war.