Sax on the Web Forum banner

Jazz licks

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Bucker 
#1 ·
I'm going to start recording my jazz licks as I "interalise" them, if anyone finds these useful please let me know, then I'll know if it's worth recording any more of them.

This is the sort of thing I really wanted when I didn't know where to start with my jazz music and would have been useful to me.
I also made a basic guitar video for a friend who was learning this style, if this is of interest to anyone:

Also I think this might be the first time I've posted properly on this site, so can I say: hello! My name's Bob, I have a passion for jazz music and I've recently started going to Lindyhop and Charleston dance lessons. My dream is to play in a live jazz band where people are dancing along like a 1940s event. Sadly I live in a town where there is no jazz scene at all for about an hour drive in all directions, but I'm determined to bring jazz here!

- Bob

#2 ·
Hi Bob,
great job, I really like it. Especially demonstrating the lick by playing some examples is very helpful and inspiring.

Johann

#3 ·
So, you play a b9 on a 7 chord? Okaay. Nice 'lick'. How about playing a Ab7 arpeggio over a g7, and resolving it to a g? Wouldn't that be a complete tritone sub? Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not that great at theory.

;'

#6 ·
So, you play a b9 on a 7 chord? Okaay. Nice 'lick'. How about playing a Ab7 arpeggio over a g7, and resolving it to a g? Wouldn't that be a complete tritone sub? Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not that great at theory.
hak, I'd say in that first lick he's basically playing a dom7b9 (G7b9) chord, rather than a tritone sub. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the tritone sub for G7 would be C#7.

Bob can chime in here if I didn't really answer that properly. Nice licks, Bob.

#10 ·
I make up stuff like that, all the time, and play every variation off the original thought, that I can come up with. It's a good way of turning a 'mistakenly' placed note into a change in direction that eliminates the mistake. The next couple of notes, after the mistaken one, are crucial to it turning out well, though. But once your fingers know where to go, you can get yourself out of just about any corner you've painted yourself into.
I think Bob was demonstrating that method of applying variations in this video. You can improvise for as long as you want, once you know what notes will work, in getting that 'new direction' around the corner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.