Sax.co.uk London store - 44 saxophones stolen! - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2016

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Sax.co.uk London store - 44 saxophones stolen!

yes,i understand,but saxophones are in the scheme of things not usually that expensive.....then after a day or2 these type stolen items are put on the back-burner as the murders/attempted murder/gun-point thefts take over.....

there is the CAFE SAXOPHONE has a link for stolen saxophones,and the best way is just to log the saxophone here on a post with the serial#....thats how 2 saxophone i know have been recovered....
    cheers,philip
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Dolson View Post
    Philip: I mentioned the value $5000 only as an example......
    Maybe we all should form a saxophone-theft detail and offer our services . . . DAVE

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Philip: In many police agencies, the detective function is broken down into crimes-against-person and crimes-against-property - the investigators handling murders, assaults, and robberies are not usually the same who handle burglaries. The burglary detectives, overwhelmed as they may be, are still responsible to submit their follow-up reports as required by the agency. So, depending upon how many factors in one case add up to a "follow-up- required", a saxophone's(s') involvement may or may not generate more interest than a jewelry heist. Each case stands on its own.

For what it is worth, a robbery (the taking of property from someone by force or fear; as opposed to burglary, which is the entry into a structure to commit a theft or other felony) is technically a crime-against-property even though a victim is directly involved in a robbery-crime. Many don't understand crime-classifications but it all depends on the objective of the crime - and in the case of robbery, the objective is the property. DAVE
    Dave

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Dirk @Vries1! Much obliged.

I am very sorry to hear this! Jeffrey and Robin Bakker are very nice hard working people. I know them well and we are in very friendly terms.

Harry Bakker is one of the few shops where there is a substantial display of mostly vintage items. There are at least two (in the South of the country) much larger shops with a larger display but generally most shops don’t have this large a display.

It is also in a shop set in an idillic place not very far from Amsterdam. Mostly populated by “ well to do” gentry.

But maybe the relative isolation and the fact that the shop is old and maybe not as well protected as a newer one might be was what gave the thieves the idea to strike there.

Hopefully the entire collection was recuperated because the thieves were spotted by a member of the public and reported to the police which alerted a number of agents and they chased them until the van crashed, then they run away and were not apprehended.

The agents reacted on the report of a burglary given by someone whom had seen something suspicious and not knowing what was stolen or whether the value would have been warranting their work.

Luckily things still go this way or otherwise the Police force would only be there for the people with deep pockets.

€1000 might not be much in the great scheme of things but it is a lot for people who don’t have a lot.

Again , I am quite sure that there would be a connection between this two cases. Both Shops are very active on the internet and display prominently their collection of saxophones in the ads .

Otherwise I really don’t know how thieves would have known that in such a small place there were so many saxophones on display!
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The owners should post a message for a handsome reward for the ID's of those responsible, for their arrest and conviction in a local newspaper in the MIsc. wanted column, a paper which attract low lifes too. Crumbs like these would give their own Mother up for a buck. It's worth a shot. Bruce Brennan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dana in Philly View Post
    First Brexit, now this.

Thoughts?
    Wow. Didn't realize Brexit had a "store". Care to make another stupid comparison?

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jgreiner View Post
    Wow. Didn't realize Brexit had a "store". Care to make another stupid comparison?
    Copuld it be that they are related as both are seen as very bad things???
    TamingTheSaxophone.com & PPT Mouthpieces
    Tone Without Tears: No more boring long notes | BEGINNERS' DVD & ONLINE TUTORIALS | CDs, BACKING TRACKS & SHEET MUSIC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    Copuld it be that they are related as both are seen as very bad things???
    That's valid, Pete. However, contrary to what some people seem to think, there are other opinions than theirs.

Forum Contributor 2014-2017 Dana in Philly's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like I hit a raw nerve there, jgreiner. Sorry about that.

As darkness comes, the center fails.
    Play until there's no one left to listen.

Forum Contributor 2014-2017 Dana in Philly's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Room for everybody's opinions here, jgreiner, right?

That's valid, Pete. However, contrary to what some people seem to think, there are other opinions than theirs.
    As darkness comes, the center fails.
    Play until there's no one left to listen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for sharing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toughtenor View Post
    same thing happened last week to a great sax shop in Holland. 85 ( !!) alto's were stolen, loaded in to a van. Police chased the van which crashed. bad guys got away on foot.. .
    Interesting. I had a horn (52 SBA tenor) stolen from my house in the middle of the day about 20 years ago. The neighbor saw the perps and phoned the police and yelled to them that he was on the phone. They bolted from the driveway and bumped into a woman in a van driving by. Then they drove off. She followed them and a high speed chase began. I arrived home and a sergeant told me the chase was on and we listened to to radio chatter as it evolved. The woman was chasing the guys with a 5 or 6 car police armada behind her. They went on a big loop through many neighborhoods until they got to their home area by the river and ran into a tree at a park. They were arrested and I got my stuff back. Only damage was to a cd player with a Cannonball Adderley cd in it that one of the theirs stepped on when an officer put his recording device on top of it and began to question the driver. I played the horn on a gig that night. That woman was an Italian woman from New Jersey who had just moved out West and said her husband would have killed her if she didn't get the information from the guy who hit her. I always imagined her husband in the witness protection program. The police were amazed at her driving abilities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the way, from what i read about the latest election, the whole Brexit thing may not be resolved as of yet...

Forum Contributor 2007-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some people are so ignorant they think saxophones are made of real gold. seriously.
    Life is too short for long tones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't play everything you know on every solo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frankly this is not my experience in the Netherlands buying from private sellers.

At least not dor for 6 digits Mark Vi, altos and even tenors.

I’ve lost one temore lately which went very cheap ( less than €2500) and another one was sold for €3000 , in both cases I didn’t have the funds or I would have bought them.

Shops ask much but private sellers really hardly ever get more. in the last couple of years I have sold two perfect 6 digits altos overhauled for less than €3300.
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish I could find them for that.
    Saxlicker

1964 MKVI Tenor, Ben Allen 20TD Mouthpiece Browse the Horns

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t find them easily or every day but they are out there. It is really not too difficult and there is no special skill involved other than being persistent and have the cash ready and being able to quickly jump in the car and going to collect personally the saxophone.

When I was selling the Mark VI altos here on SOTW it took more than a year, even at that price. They both went to two friends SOTW members one in Italy and one in the UK.

I buy and sell regularly saxophones and found that it is a lot better, for me, to buy cheap to medium range saxophones because they sell better and quicker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no end to people going to any length to steal money from others.

My old mother was the victim of an elaborate telephone scum whereby they convinced her to give them €1500 because my brother was, allegedly victim of an accident and needed the money to fix the car (my brother is wealthy enough not to have needed to bother my mother and yet she fell for it!).

It is not a local thing. Scammers are everywhere and they have always been everywhere.

There is no special need to insure a sax BECAUSE you are traveling to the USA bad people are everywhere.

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot4Eva View Post
    Now here comes the scam. They lull you into selling it to them and shipping it to them via use of PayPal Friends. You do and it seems legit
    It cannot be legit if you use Paypal Friends & family for a transaction. You only have yourself to blame in that case.
    TamingTheSaxophone.com & PPT Mouthpieces
    Tone Without Tears: No more boring long notes | BEGINNERS' DVD & ONLINE TUTORIALS | CDs, BACKING TRACKS & SHEET MUSIC

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5