Sax on the Web Forum banner

Source for Runyon spoilers (only)?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Secondhandsaxes 
#1 ·
Does anyone know of a source for the spoiler (only, not the mouthpiece) or reasonable facsimile thereof for Runyon Classic mouthpieces? I have an alto Custom 5 and a bari Custom 7 and would love to try them with spoilers.

I also play a soprano Custom 6 with the spoiler and prefer the additional projection that it gives.

#2 ·
Have you tried swapping in the spoiler to the other pieces? Just push it toward the rear of the piece and it should pop out. I have never seen a spoiler for sale but I also have never looked for one. When I have tried them before they always made the mouthpiece incredibly 'buzzy' so it just wasn't something I was looking for - but the mouthpieces without using it were great!

#4 ·
The Spoilers were sized individually for each model of mouthpiece even from alto to alto piece. For example, a spoiler from a Custom alto won't fit a Smoothbore alto mouthpiece. It may be possible to get one from Jody Jazz since his early mouthpieces came with them. Just a thought.

#5 ·
I thought maybe the soprano would be too small.
Its kind of a specialized piece that you can't just fabricate. Well, maybe you could make one that worked but the stainless steel 'reed' is going to be different from mouthpiece-to-mouthpiece.
What is left of the Runyon company would still have all the drawings/specs for everything they ever made, so right off the bat that is the #1 possible source for either information or replacement spoilers.
Also, you'll probably find that each spoiler is actually hand-fitted to a particular mouthpiece so it attaches firmly and sits in the correct position. Ones from other mouthpieces probably will swap in but may or may not fit just right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.