New 10mfan tenor mouthpiece!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New 10mfan tenor mouthpiece!!!

I just spent several days playing the new 10mfan piece ( one of them) and I'll post a review and some clips soon. I got one thing to say RIGHT NOW...BAM!!!! Oh my gosh. (Two things, I know). Woohoo!!!! Gonna have me one!!!!!!!
    My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ghawk78/videos
    Tenor-Viking M60 Valkyrie w/Robusto 3D 8*:Alto-Yamaha YAS-23 w/Beechler Diamond Inlay S8S
    Soprano-Antigua Winds 590BLQ w/Bari HR .066

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New 10mfan tenor mouthpiece!!!

Is that the more vintage sounding tenor piece Mark announced in some other threads?

T : Selmer SBA serial 50xxx (1953) - Otto Link Florida no USA 10* - Rico Plasticover 2
    A : Klingsor serial 016xx (early 60's) - Otto Link STM 9* - Rico Royal 2.5
    SoundClick | SoundClip Index | YouTube | SOTW Blues (Round 8) | Mouthpiece/Sax Pictures

SOTW Columnist
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GHawk View Post
    I just spent several days playing the new 10mfan piece ( one of them)
    Which one? (great mpcs)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's the brighter one and it plays better than my Robusto. It has that same evenness but it's just a bit edgier, slightly more compact and has more weight on the bottom end of the horn. It still plays HUGE. I'll have some clips soon. The sound is just soooo good. I'll talk specifics when I get some time to get my thoughts together.
    My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ghawk78/videos
    Tenor-Viking M60 Valkyrie w/Robusto 3D 8*:Alto-Yamaha YAS-23 w/Beechler Diamond Inlay S8S
    Soprano-Antigua Winds 590BLQ w/Bari HR .066

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Boss?

Forum Contributor 2007-2016

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, Greg took me by surprise here by posting this, but that's OK. I was going to make the announcement shortly anyway.

First off, Greg, I am glad you are having a blast with that piece, and felt the urge to express that in a post. It is so friggin fun to play and I will explain to everyone here what the two pieces are that I have coming out.

Since I put out my first 3 tenor mouthpieces, it's been clear to me that there are 2 groups of players out there. One group that is looking for pieces that can do MORE than the vintage pieces can do in terms of flexibility and versatility, and the other group wants and loves what the vintage pieces do, and they want that feel, which is different from my pieces.

THATS OK. This is my chance to now please both sides.

I wanted pieces in each of my categories that were flexible and versatile to do an enormous amount of stuff and not just one thing well, so I come from that 1st group of players looking for more than the vintage pieces offer me. As an example, a 1930s Slant Sig Link can get a very beautiful warm and dark sound, but that's really all you get from it. They were designed at a time where you didn't need anything more than that. They are not flexible or versatile at all for todays players, but they do one thing BEAUTIFULLY. I have a ton of respect for what Mr. Link and the other great originators of mouthpieces put out, but todays players need more versatility to accommodate the playing settings of today.
    I wanted more for myself as a player than what I was getting from the vintage pieces so I put out the Merlot, Robusto, and Boss. I couldn't be more happy with all 3 of those models in each of there categories. The other group of players love the more vintage feel and just want that. I understand that and respect that, even if its not what I want for myself as a player.

In the four years that I've had pieces out, these are the 2 specific requests that players said they would like to see from me:

1. The first piece requested is from guys that love the Robusto and Boss, but wish there was an in-between category piece that had more punch and power than The Robusto, and was less extreme with a lower baffle than The Boss. That describes this piece PERFECTLY.
    The Boss is the powerhouse piece which is bright and has a high baffle. The Robusto for me is simply an amazing all-around piece designed for the jazz player but can be used in loads of other settings too, and it has a moderate baffle height.
    It has become clear that many players want a cross-over category piece that could really be loved by both of those category players that was different from each. Something easily used for jazz stuff and for guys playing commercial pop, blues, smooth jazz, rock, and funk type of stuff too.
    I have found that a lot of jazz guys absolutely love the Robusto for what it does and it does everything they could possibly need.
    I found that the pop guys can like The Robusto a lot but they want something with more punch and power, so they go with The Boss.
    Many have asked for a 2nd powerful piece option with a less high baffle than the Boss that could cross over both categories well. The pop guys love the Boss with the high baffle, but those pieces are not for everybody....jazz guys can have a harder time with higher baffle pieces when coming from a lower or moderate baffle piece.
    This new piece will be loved by jazz players looking for a powerful piece that can be used for straight ahead stuff, and also the more commercial players looking for another design option for a powerful piece with a moderate height longer and lower baffle design.
    This describes the 1st new piece perfectly.

SOUND CONCEPT: My feelings as a player and person who designed this, is that it has the sound of the Robusto meets a Berg over zero or one, if that makes sense to you.
    The problem with Bergs for me, is that they always feel one-dimensional. They are wonderful pieces, but they get one vibe for me which is fat and punchy with grit, but I've never played a Berg that has the flexibility and versatility that this new piece has....not even close. I have owned hundreds of Bergs and as I said, they can be wonderful pieces but in the end, they just always have that one vibe for me. This new piece doesn't sound ONE way. It can have that classic vibe with lots of power available and can do the punchy thing incredibly well too.

As a player who made a living playing and teaching, years ago I used to use both vintage Links and Bergs. I always enjoyed both but always felt like something was missing and wanted to make something that was in between those. My Robusto for me is really a beautiful combination in terms of sound of what a Link and a Berg can do...with more to offer than each. That's why it has been my main piece for the last 4 1/2 years and will always be my only piece. It just does everything that I need it to do as a player. It was the piece I have been looking for for a long time but it didn't exist...until I made it.
    As for this new piece, it pushes the power and punch even more and has more brights available than the Robusto-- with a new, and completely fresh design. It is such a fun piece to play! Since I lean more towards the jazz side of things, the Robusto will remain the king for MY personal needs. I can't tell you how many players have asked for something that was in between the Robusto and Boss---so here you go.

2. The second piece that will come out is for the guys who have had a request for me, to put out a mouthpiece that is more similar to the vintage piece feel and blow than mine are. A piece that doesn't have the feel of my Merlot, Robusto, and Boss. A piece that has that vintage feel, and experience. I basically made a list of the common attributes amongst vintage mouthpieces aside from the Bergs, (because they are more punchy), and zoned in on putting out a piece that offered players more of what they "experience" from a classic hard rubber Link, Brilhart, Selmer, Dukoff, and Meyer. These pieces are different from one another, but there are many common attributes to them so I put a lot of thought into it and I will release a piece that has a vintage vibe. A piece that is warm and full, focused with a great core, plays even from top to bottom, tunes well, and records well. If you buy a vintage copy piece, you just get that one thing. That makes it very costly if you like different things. What I wanted to do with this piece was put out something that really offers something very special and unique to the marketplace that feels great to play, sounds great, and records great. It will not have that width and grittiness that my other pieces can get because that's what I wanted from them, but the more vintage model will be more beautiful, smooth, and even like the great vintage pieces. Of course depending on your skills, you will still be able to get a ton out of this piece. While I prefer my Merlot, Robusto, and Boss to the vintage pieces in their categories, there are a lot of you out there who love the vintage thing and want pieces that remind you more of that.
    My goal here was to please the players who want that with a 10mfan design.
    For me, there are two schools: players who want something familiar that has that vintage feel to it, and players who want something that offers more than the vintage pieces offer to them.

I am thrilled about these two pieces and they are the reason my alto pieces have not come out yet.
    I just couldn't let those out until I put these two tenor pieces out and fulfilled the enormous amount of requests so many players have had for me for these 2 pieces.

Thank you all for your great support over the last four years and for all you vintage guys, this 2nd piece will really make you happy.
    For all you guys looking for more power and punch than the Robusto and a piece that is flexible and not as extreme as the Boss is for some players, this piece will drive you crazy!

As with the 1st three pieces I released 4 years ago, a ton of thought has gone into these pieces!

I wanted to make sure I offered pieces that were VERY different from what I already offer.
    I am hoping the powerful model will come out for the public the end of May.
    The vintage-type model closely after that unless we can coordinate both at once.

The names and pictures will be presented when I have a finished product with all the stamping on it ready for the public to see. Right now I just have one final prototype thats not stamped, etc...

These 2 pieces will be made from the finest German bar stock hard rubber.

POWERFUL MODEL-------SIZES 7*-10*
    VINTAGE-FEEL MODEL---------SIZES 6*-10*

The introductory price is only $375 plus shipping

All the best, Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great News.
    “Happiness is good health and a bad memory” Ingrid Bergman

Distinguished SOTW Member Saxland's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are the new mouthpieces being made in hard rubber and metal versions?
    http://www.smallsjazzclub.com
    CANADA'S National Jazz Radio Station is www.Jazz.FM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They will be the same great German hard rubber we use on my other pieces. I am not ruling out metal versions, but lets see how the hard rubber does. Eric Falcon will be doing the same incredible work on these that he does on the others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interested to see how the second piece turns out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you. Ive had so many guys want a piece that has that blow and vibe of a vintage piece, so I am happy I'll have something out for you guys to enjoy.

I am really looking forward to releasing both of these pieces!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ballad state of mind View Post
    Great News.

Thank you my friend. I hope you are well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am starting to take pre-orders for the powerful piece only.

Email me directly at: connsaxman@comcast.net
    to get on the list.

Sizes 7*-10*

The introductory price is only $375 plus shipping!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pictures?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No pictures yet.
    All I have is one Proto type that is not stamped or finished on the outside and I will not post pictures until I have a finished piece. I'm not releasing the name yet, and I won't have pics until the pieces are made to be sold to the public. Same exact body size as my other hard rubber pieces. The description is very clear and we put out only the highest quality mouthpieces.
    The introductory price is also phenomenal.

SACKS OF PHONES, once the pieces are made I will post pictures of course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 10mfan View Post
    No pictures.
    . The description and the fact that we put out only the highest quality mouthpieces, should be all you need.
    As a potential buyer, I disagree. I like to be able to see what I may be buying. It helps to see the inside and outside. Do you think $375 is trivial?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pictures will be released when the product is ready to be sold. I am just taking pre-orders now.
    If you need to wait to see the pictures, thats ok. I understand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Mark
    I will send my order for one of your crossover boss/ Robusto 7* to your website with my US Address , but was inquiring as to when it might be available.
    Thanks in Advance
    “Happiness is good health and a bad memory” Ingrid Bergman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you. Its a true cross-over piece between the Robusto and Boss for guys looking for more power and punchy than The Robusto and a lower, longer baffle than The Boss.

Just send me an email directly as its not on the website, and won't be until we have them made and can post pictures and audios, and are ready to sell.

We are shooting for the middle of May.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 10mfan View Post
    Thank you. Its not a new Robusto, its a true cross-over piece between the Robusto and Boss.
    The "RoBossto" or "BossBusto" ?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast