My NEW Baritone Saxophone - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: My NEW Baritone Saxophone

Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
    Hey Cash - watch the underside of your bell lip with that stand. I have a stand like that and the backside of the bell on my bari hits the top of the metal tube unless I pad it up a little. Usually I put a towel on the middle of the stand where the bell would hit just to make sure I don't end up with a dent or a bunch of scratches.

Looks nice - did you get it for a specific gig or just feel like blowing the big horn again?
    Yep...same problem with Hercules stand too. Are they just clueless? The center of the bottom side of the bell contacts bare metal beyond the U shaped holder.

Good luck with the black beauty
    ,,,overrated pleasures, underrated treasures...
    Come visit: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthr...Track-Ligature Now new and improved!
    As well as: https://www.facebook.com/glovesgofar

Distinguished SOTW Member CashSax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks High Fly, the stands aren't perfect but I've used mine for yrs with no damages to my bari's. I used a guitar stand before that..works perfect, just looks a little wonky..Now for the Black Beauty update:

Later this week she's going back to the shop for the solder repair.. still hunting for my mpc, couple possibilities in the works...I am starting to jones on this thing, (impatient)

I ordered a basic Metalite to tide me over, going smaller tips these days, M7 sounds about right. .105-.110 medium reed combo
    Cash's Demo Recordings circa '98-'01
    www.box.net/cashsax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Found a killer V16 mpc deal...but I'm going to wait til I get the M7 metalite to check my new tip smaller adjustment idea. I still don't know which size V16 to get ??

B7 or B9..

FWIW I play .075 on Sop/ .095 on Alto/ .120 on Tenor.

the M7 may give me a glimpse.

The delrin Runyon Quantum I'm replacing is a #12
    I never had it measured..
    www.box.net/cashsax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My little $25 junkdude pre-owned special M7 is in, first impressions are very good..and answer my question.

The .110 tip is on the smaller side for me and a 2.5 Plasticover feels soft. But this mpc overall feels good to me, it fills the horn big time with a very legit tone, it has perfect resistance to hold a bottom note. Intonation is pretty much on the money too. This old Milwaukee is starting to roar.

My mpc search is leaning toward maybe RPC I hear good things, then again I saw a cherry 7* HR link going for a $100. bill the other day so who knows..is it the Indian or the Arrow..??
    Last edited by CashSax; 04-25-2017 at 07:04 PM.
    www.box.net/cashsax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends what you want to do with it. A friend sent me a Vandoren V16 B9 to try and I really liked that piece. I didn't find it too hard to blow at all. Kesslers should have some stuff for you to try to see what you like though even then as you get back into bari again you may find yourself changing tips sizes or styles to suit what you are playing better or just to get the blowing resistance you want.

If you are interested, Here is a video I made a couple of months back trying different bari pieces.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myoOUyJvMKE

When I go back and listen to it the first thing that strikes me is how similar I sound on all of them. They feel much different to play but they don't sound all that different out front.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I realized a long time ago I'd come back around and sound the same on pretty much everything. I got bigger tips over the years for more volume. These days a lot of my stuff is small venue work, I don't need huge sound as I'm mic'd heavily anyway.. So I am de-volving as it were for ease of blowing (same sound)..I'm finding the M7 very likeable and after a couple days getting used to it I think I will probably add an M9 for fun..I do want a primary mpc, as I said a V16 or RPC, possibly Berg or Link. I need to spend more time on determining my best tip size before I invest the $$$$$$ in an expensive new Bari mpc.

All in all I find the Baritone Metalites are great for what they are, plus they will help me determine the tip size I am after.
    www.box.net/cashsax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the deed is done I ordered a Vandoren B9. I think after my experience with the M7 lets me know I'm Ok with a bigger tip too. So many good reviews on the B9.

The Black Beauty went back to the Docs today for solder work and a second neck/tenon fitting.
    www.box.net/cashsax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CashSax View Post
    I realized a long time ago I'd come back around and sound the same on pretty much everything. I got bigger tips over the years for more volume. These days a lot of my stuff is small venue work, I don't need huge sound as I'm mic'd heavily anyway.. So I am de-volving as it were for ease of blowing (same sound)..I'm finding the M7 very likeable and after a couple days getting used to it I think I will probably add an M9 for fun..I do want a primary mpc, as I said a V16 or RPC, possibly Berg or Link. I need to spend more time on determining my best tip size before I invest the $$$$$$ in an expensive new Bari mpc.

All in all I find the Baritone Metalites are great for what they are, plus they will help me determine the tip size I am after.
    Yeah, I think I really prefer something like a .110 or .115 piece with a rollover baffle like the Link STM I have or JJ DVNY but I play the JJ DV 8 a lot of the time because that's what works best for me for funk/rock/R&B gigs right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After playing awhile the M7 still feels on the minimal side at .110 ...For me I think the B9 will be a stretch, but my chops tell me I like the open mpcs. My old bari mpc was a Runyon Q #12 the thing is probably at .120 or so..

I recently swapped a Tenor 8*3 hard rubber Lakey for a 9*3 (.125)..that switch feels great,

so I'm looking forward to the Vandoren V16 as an all-around mpc., if I start going the TOP route again i'll probably find a metal berg or (?)

forgot to mention, I just got my Bari back from the Docs..2nd neck fitting is superb..no stress no strain still feels plenty tight. Tech said the solder was an easy one and is un-noticeable..she's dialed now I need some mpcs and reeds. Doc did sell me a box of 10 2.5 Oranges..they are stiffer than my last remaining 2.5 plasti-cover and they honk like hell on the M7... The Milwaukee LIVES..!!

Bari Heaven...
    www.box.net/cashsax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After playing awhile the M7 still feels on the minimal side at .110 ...For me I think the B9 will be a stretch, but my chops tell me I like the open mpcs. My old bari mpc was a Runyon Q #12 the thing is probably at .120 or so..

I recently swapped a Tenor 8*3 hard rubber Lakey for a 9*3 (.125)..that switch feels great,

so I'm looking forward to the Vandoren V16 as an all-around mpc., if I start going the TOP route again i'll probably find a metal berg or (?)
    I have been running a metal berg 110/2 (one of the new ones, sadly) for nearly everything this year. Works great for me. I used to run a Berg 105/1, which was my first non plastic no-name mouthpeice experience, loved it, but it was the school's. Bought my own, which is the 110. I also tend to go for the more open tips, but for all the different things I do (sitting in in our two local youth - pretty much high school college and professional players jumbled together- orchestras, to jazz, marching, and All-State), I find around .110 balances out. I have looked around, borrowed around, and tried a bunch of other brands, styles, other metals, and I find this to be the best balance. Your mileage may vary. I normally run semi-soft ish reeds (3 1/2- 4) for the classical settings, and for anything else I just run my fibracell 5s, or a wood plank, whichever is closer. I recommend the metal bergs, but go out and try them first. An x/2 is something I went with only because I have to be able to run an orchestra gig at short notice, but you can just run several reeds for your different gig scenarios.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't play anything that open on tenor without feeling fatigued within an hour or so playing. I just can't control the sound or intonation well after a while. On bari it's less about the control and more about the air volume for me. At some point I can't play more than 2 measures without taking a breath and that becomes more of a limiting factor than playing in tune or keeping the sound focused.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Keith I play jobs every week, my Sun Brunch we play 9-noon no breaks. To me it's about the sound and what feels most comfortable. I am on the lookout for a smaller tip STM metal link for my tenor I'm think around 8*. I got a Super King and 9*3 Lakey but I miss the old school deep Link tone. My Sun gig is a soft deal so the Link would be fun..
    www.box.net/cashsax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
    I can't play anything that open on tenor without feeling fatigued within an hour or so playing. I just can't control the sound or intonation well after a while. On bari it's less about the control and more about the air volume for me. At some point I can't play more than 2 measures without taking a breath and that becomes more of a limiting factor than playing in tune or keeping the sound focused.

Keith I hear ya on Bari, too much of an air hog and you're finished..I did Wayne Newton's show on Bari and there were low passages that needed to be held. I'm hoping the B9 I ordered won't be too much..such tough decisions..I know some places have return policies but it takes me some time to find the voice in the mpc. I think the M7 I got already feels good, and I could keep my Jody Jazz Runyon quantum, but I may swap for a metal Berg to go in my collection. I found a great refacer so I can have a Berg metal dialed to my specs.
    www.box.net/cashsax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Keith I play jobs every week, my Sun Brunch we play 9-noon no breaks. To me it's about the sound and what feels most comfortable. I am on the lookout for a smaller tip STM metal link for my tenor I'm think around 8*. I got a Super King and 9*3 Lakey but I miss the old school deep Link tone. My Sun gig is a soft deal so the Link would be fun..
    That's a long haul. I've got a typical bar hit this weekend 9-1 which we typically do in three 1:10 sets with two 15 minute breaks. While I was with a Steely Dan tribute band we typically played two sets with about 20-25 minutes in between and I play my LT MBII on tenor for many of those gigs but the last few tunes were always a struggle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I play a lot of Flute, after all it is breakfast, cant get too crazy..lol
    www.box.net/cashsax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I play a lot of Flute, after all it is breakfast, cant get too crazy..lol
    That's the sort of gig I'd like to have but I don't know if my improv chops are good enough on flute to pull it off. I can get through the heads for most of the stuff I'd like to play on flute in that type of setting (sort of the Jobim songbook if you know what I mean) with no trouble but improvising on flute is still not comfortable to me.

At some point over the summer I'm going to try and output a bunch of fake book charts transposed to G so I can read them on alto flute. If you're interested let me know and I'll PM you when (if??) I get them done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have a Duo with tracks, Sax/flute guitar/vox. classics to smooth jazz lots of variety and we have more stuff than we can play, people like it.
    www.box.net/cashsax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New mpcs should be arriving this week, can't wait to start really playing this thing, I will make one more shop trip. The LH spat is in need of a bit more adjustment. Goes to show what it can take to bring a neglected horn back to 100%..3 shop visits so far, one more to go.

I should say in spite of all the enthusiasm I have, it is not what I would call a contender, I've played the good ones too..The "Milwaukee" well it's an early ROC or Vietnam or ?? Could be a Monique in disguise for all I know..Time will tell, it's a fragile thing. But the plus is it sounds a great deal like a real Baritone sax and if it doesn't fall apart under my fingers I will consider it to be a worthy enough investment for an occasional Bari outing. If it blows up I guess I got a 500 dollar lamp.
    www.box.net/cashsax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New mpcs should be arriving this week, can't wait to start really playing this thing, I will make one more shop trip. The LH spat is in need of a bit more adjustment. Goes to show what it can take to bring a neglected horn back to 100%..3 shop visits so far, one more to go.

I should say in spite of all the enthusiasm I have, it is not what I would call a contender, I've played the good ones too..The "Milwaukee" well it's an early ROC or Vietnam or ?? Could be a Monique in disguise for all I know..Time will tell, it's a fragile thing. But the plus is it sounds a great deal like a real Baritone sax and if it doesn't fall apart under my fingers I will consider it to be a worthy enough investment for an occasional Bari outing. If it blows up I guess I got a 500 dollar lamp.
    Nah, you can make this into a lamp POST! Mount the lampshade on top.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Be a damn pretty Lamp wouldn't it..lol
    www.box.net/cashsax

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast