My NEW Baritone Saxophone

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Distinguished SOTW Member CashSax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My NEW Baritone Saxophone

Here she is, haven't played it yet, damn I hope it works???????????

I'm going to try my old #12 Delrin JJ Runyon..the Bari came with a GIANT old pickle barrel too, think I'll save that for later.

oh yeah it's a "MILWAUKEE" probably a Taiwan or Vietnam horn, engineered by French gremlins.. I read everything that I could find on it. House brand from "Jim Laabs Music" in where else (Milwaukee)..some reviews on this old beast ain't too bad.

we will find out.

BTW never mind what I paid, let's just say I cleaned out my junk mouthpiece drawer..
    Images attachées Images attachées
    Last edited by CashSax; 04-06-2017 at 10:57 PM.

Cash's vintage Demo Recordings circa '99-'03 SF Bay Area www.box.net/cashsax

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: My NEW Baritone Saxophone

Is that black nickel or lacquer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK can't resist giving first few minutes impression playing time..well the Prof evidently didn't learn the neck on a sax has to fit correctly..this bari neck is loose as a goose, I'm kinda surprised the thing don't leak. The horn "feels" a little loose and rattley as well, this can be adjusted and fixed I'm sure..

BUT bottom to top the sound is there, and I think with some play time shop time and TLC this horn will be fine. Most important even in un-regulated, undialed state the first impressions are very good, intonation is the key and the old Milwaukee seems reasonably in tune full scale and thankfully in tune with itself. It actually barks pretty darn good out of the box and I would presume will only get better.

Now if I could take a few pounds off (not me the Bari) this is the freakin' HEAVIEST Bari I have ever held..damn I'm gonna get some new muscles playing the black beast.

Well I can say so far I am pleased, I think over time I can bring the old beast back to a smooth and tight playing action. Bottom line you guys (and gals) know the sound is the biggie, so after a few gigs we'll see how this thing handles the real world..
    Last edited by CashSax; 04-16-2017 at 09:38 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adam you gotta tell me I honestly don't know, the Black has a silvery Gray sheen too it. Not a true "black" black..I'll look for any worn spots to see if it is Lacquer coated. I never had a black horn before.

cool as hell looking tho.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll be spending a lot of time cleaning and oiling. I think this horn is a 2003..feels to me like it's never been oiled, it's been played a lot, I can tell from key touch wear. Overall the horn is really pretty cherry, only the tiniest of pings. The Prof took good care of it.

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-2016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CashSax View Post
    Adam you gotta tell me I honestly don't know, the Black has a silvery Gray sheen too it. Not a true "black" black..I'll look for any worn spots to see if it is Lacquer coated. I never had a black horn before.

cool as hell looking tho.
    It's probably nickel plate. Black lacquer horns are usually actually black.
    Current setups:
    Yamaha YSS-875EX, Selmer Soloist C**, Ishimori lig,Hemke 3.5
    Yamaha YAS-875EXS, Rousseau RC4 (refaced by Brian Powell), Ishimori lig,Hemke 3.5
    Yamaha YTS-875EX, Rousseau NC4, Ishimori lig, Hemke 3.5
    Kessler Solist Bari, Rousseau NC4, BG Tradition lig, Hemke 3.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nickel Plate..hmmmm..I think I like, its going to take me awhile to dial the beast..my tech is just now finishing my VI restore and my VII alto is next. After that my Flute and Sop both need minor tweaks..so 'Ol Blackie is down on the list for a few weeks, but I will be doing a lot of cleaning oiling and taking a real good look at the whole horn. I had a busy gig weekend and had no time to even start on the horn yet,

Oh yeah I discovered after my first honk (as noted above) I was using a freakin'Tenor Reed...@#$%^&*()!! (**note to self..keep your glasses on)..I wondered why the top was a bit thin, but I figured hey I'm just getting used to this thing.

Lots more to come as we bring the Malwacky back to life..stay tuned..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cleaned and oiled the black bari feels like different horn . Sounds good too. Needs a couple of tweaks. Strangely the horn is missing 2 screws on the Body/bell brace. The neck still needs fitting and she needs a new cork. Other than that the old beast roared back. The pads all look in very good shape. The action feels real nice after lots of 10/40 she's quick quiet and smooth again. Today I'm headed to see my man at Sam Ash, hope he's got a couple of generic screws for my bell.

Should say I'm pretty sure I'm going to try a different mpc on the Milwaukee, something with more edge and depth.. Thankfully the horn itself plays nicely in tune using my old JodyJazz mpc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Cash - watch the underside of your bell lip with that stand. I have a stand like that and the backside of the bell on my bari hits the top of the metal tube unless I pad it up a little. Usually I put a towel on the middle of the stand where the bell would hit just to make sure I don't end up with a dent or a bunch of scratches.

Looks nice - did you get it for a specific gig or just feel like blowing the big horn again?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keith thx for the stand tip..

I just felt like having a Bari again, nothing specific yet..but I may shoot some gig ($$$$$) feelers out. Not sure I want to go 6 nites again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No repairs today in Vegas, my Sam Ash guy and Kesslers tech were both off today..my regular guy is busy with my tenor..I did not want to interrupt him.

I switched the horn to my Gig bag today and discovered it's not as heavy as I thought.. BUT, the Yamama case that came with the horn weighs a TON.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah those Yamy bari cases are like small coffins-even empty they weight a lot. I've been using an MTS case that Kesslers had specially made to fit Yani baris as well as their own Solist bari and it's no lightweight either but the horn fits really well with no slip or slop.

Bari cases seem to fit into the old; light, cheap, protective - pick 2 formula.

Forum Contributor 2017 BrianMitchellBrody's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that brand manufactured in Vietnam?
    �We are what we repeatedly do.
    Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.�
    ~Aristotle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMitchellBrody View Post
    Is that brand manufactured in Vietnam?

I have read somewhere that the horn was made in Vietnam. I don't know for sure.

Going for some repairs today tech just called says bring it over..

(2 hrs later) OK I got a screw for my Milwaukee baris' B/B brace. It takes 2 but luckily he had 1 in the drawer. It's a Yamaha screw and he'll order the second one for the horn. At least the beast is secure for now. She's ready for some sound testing.

It still needs neck fit and cork but I couldn't slow my man down too much. While I was there I saw my VI tenor on the bench wow, clean and shiny she's almost finished..coming home tomorrow..oh yeah also he did take a moment and tweak the LH Spat on my Sop with a screwdriver and she's perfect too..!!

Lots of saxes, life is good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a pic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today i'm headed for the shop for the neck work and corking. Found the 2001 Jim Laabs Music Promo for the horn. They don't say much outside of the usual generic description, value quality yada..however the AD confirms the horn is Black Nickel plate body, 18K gold plated keys. Explains why the gold plating is so thin, but it still does have a striking look.

I can't tell yet really how good it will sound. That will take time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got the horn back today, lots of small fixes, new cork, neck is tight (real tight) pads aren't new but seal well..horn doc says upper stack was leaking like a sieve. He's a pro wind player himself and he told me "it plays good".

Over time we'll find out, I'm on a search for a new mpc. Not sure what I want yet....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Milwaukee is not ready for prime time yet, last week after I got the horn back from the shop I noticed another problem we somehow missed.. there is a separation from the body to the bottom brace on the gooseneck. Needs some expert solder expertise (black nickel?).. looks to me someone's been grabbing the horn at the gooseneck. I use the Vulcan myself that way no worries.

I don't have a proper mpc yet either, I'm ready for a change but I don't know which one yet. Bergs & Links still sound good to me, Also so many new boutique one-hit -wonders out there too..

but I'll stick with a a classic set up. I also see the V16 thing and the Rousseau get good reviews and you don't have to break the bank..

...more to come on this old warrior, I'm simply not excited about even playing it until I get it back to my Tech and in optimum shape.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CashSax View Post
    I don't have a proper mpc yet either, I'm ready for a change but I don't know which one yet. Bergs & Links still sound good to me, Also so many new boutique one-hit -wonders out there too..but I'll stick with a a classic set up. I also see the V16 thing and the Rousseau get good reviews and you don't have to break the bank..
    Do give the V16's a try if you like Bergs. I could not find a new Berg that I liked and ended up with a V16 B9. It reminds me of a very good old Hard Rubber Berg Larson.
    "Inspiration is for amateurs, Just show up and get the work done!" ---- Chuck Close

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kfoster View Post
    Do give the V16's a try if you like Bergs. I could not find a new Berg that I liked and ended up with a V16 B9. It reminds me of a very good old Hard Rubber Berg Larson.
    I never played a Berg on a Bari, I just know they work well, I played Selmer to start and yrs later a Runyon..I tried for a trade deal for a V16 didn't work so I'm still in the hunt, the V16 sounds like a good mpc.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast