Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Traveling to Cuba to play music

Quote Originally Posted by BH9 View Post
    I've been talking to some friends about going next fall...
    Remember to avoid the hurricane’s season, but November should be cool and safe
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Forum Contributor 2017 CaneMutiny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post
    Remember to avoid the hurricane’s season, but November should be cool and safe
    Weather patterns are not reliable.
    Early November .... ain't ne..ces...sar..i..ly safe.... melodic theme?
    Been active here since '77 when I told airport security that the X-ray of my 4/0 Penn reel sitting on my flute was not a WMD.

Working on the money brokers in the family to put together a sailing experience for musicians to Cuba and the Caribbean.
    Learn to sail, use marine electronics, log captains hours and enjoy the Caribbean's music.
    Grand piano in the salon.... carbon fiber soundboard of course.
    JAZZ is a verb!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm very familiar with hurricane season, thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will go next time in mid to late November. I really like to go visit all the cities. If I ever have the chance to go back again in May, I’d like to go on the south side of the Island where there are some impressing diving locations (so I am told).

Interesting enterprise chartering a vessel in the Cuban waters, but I suppose that there are some paperwork problems to be be overcome. The relations between the two countries are better but not yet THAT friendly.

Aside for the huge cruise ships, one of which you can just about see in the right corner of the pic with the red Chevelle above, US boats and ships aren’t allowed in Cuba ( I think) aside from Guantanamo.
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

Forum Contributor 2017 CaneMutiny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a beginning for sure.
    http://www.havanarace.org/
    JAZZ is a verb!

Distinguished SOTW Member artstove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just sent packages to minstein and KeithL with reeds;not a huge amount by American standards, but hopefully appreciated there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got the package Artstove; many thanks...I'm going to add my own older reeds and pieces.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well let us know how it turns out and if you can share some pics.

I am going next month to the Dominican Republic. I know it won’t be as nice as Cuba but maybe a little more comfortable. Diving, for sure, won’t be anywhere as nice and twice so expensive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dominican Republica is a blast. Beautiful people, great food and Merengue.
    Have a Presidente and some Barcelo rum. I used to go there a lot to play and always had a great time.
    Drive or ride in taxis with white knuckles for sure. It seems they lose two or three Major League Baseball players a year to car accidents.

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster
    Forum Contributor 2007-present
    Hawaiian homey, German resident, doing time in Texas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbluescat View Post
    1950s autos are still used, and get this: they use Russian motors...which makes sense but still intriguing.
    Great looking, but they don't run, LOL?

Can anyone who has been there comment on the water and beaches and also what the shark condition might be?

"Even if I could play like Wynton Marsalis, I wouldn't play like Wynton Marsalis."
    - - Chet Baker

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

North of the island, no sharks to be seen anywhere although I wanted to and very much so!

The only shark that I saw was nurse shark, large but absolutely harmless, that isn’t a shark that you really should worry about unless you stick your hand in its mouth.

The South of the Island does have some location known for its shark population but they are not really in the costal areas but quite further away.

I’ve dived in the south ( Bay of pigs) but no luck, no sharks to be seen, but it was a beach dive. Sharks are hard to find in coastal waters.

The north coast is known for its sandy white beaches ( although there is plenty of rocks too but not the touristic areas). The South has this “ Jardines de la Reina” where you can find all sorts of things, even, if you are lucky the Cuban salty crocodile , they have sharks too there.

Maybe next time. This year is Dominican Republic, north side, bad dives there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Milandro. I've been swimming with sharks plenty of times, and sometimes a bit aggressive, too, so that's a great report. (Don't like them.)

How was the water temperature? Did the beaches gradually go into the water, or was there a close and sudden drop-off?

"Even if I could play like Wynton Marsalis, I wouldn't play like Wynton Marsalis."
    - - Chet Baker

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto

SOTW Columnist
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post
    North of the island, no sharks to be seen anywhere although I wanted to and very much so!
    Hey milandro, if you want sharks, pay a visit to my area! However, I don't think you'd necessarily want to encounter a Great White Shark around here.* I've seen one while kayaking out in the ocean and that was enough shark sightings for me...and the water here is COLD.

So, on second thought, better stick with diving in Cuba.

*p.s. I have heard you are safer from sharks well under water (diving), than floating around on the surface like a seal, one of the shark's favorite food sources.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep.

But I was surprise3d, when I first scuba dived in my favorite body surfing site to see how many sharks were circling below. Yikes! (But they never bothered us.)

- - Chet Baker

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Gary, I absolutely recommend a trip to Varadero.

In Varadero Cuba the beach is very shallow ( and beautiful one of the best ever for me) for quite a while and only after a long walk it gently drops to a a deeper but still sandy slope where you can find conches.

The waters are populate of some schools of small fish and that attracts the occasional pelican which goes into a dive.

Water temperature in May last year was high even when the weather wasn’t too good.

At 30 meter depth ( my deepest dive) my watch gave 28Cº temperature which is pretty warm.

I was diving with a 3mm full suit ( and so were many visitors) but locals were diving with shorties. The groups of the diving centre were the smallest and best served by instructors that I’ve ever had. The equipment was well used but kept in good order. The cheapest diving ever. $200 buys you 10 dives.

Absolutely worth it. Cuba is an Amazing country and not as spoiled by tourism as other countries have been. The greatest of the Cuban possession is dignity and poise. That really affects everyone.

As for enjoying sharks, of course there is an element of danger but the reality is that you dive to see this beautiful other world under water. Attacks of divers are very rare and one shouldn’t challenge the animal. Unfortunately you see lots of people with no respect for nature, they dive with the attitude “ I paid for this so it is all mine” . I wouldn’t dive in an area with great whites that would be silly. I don’t do the type of diving (like going for days on a “ liveaboard” diving 3 or 4 times a day) that gives you the best chances to do these things. My diving is very tranquil, cheap, and adds a little to my holidays).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Milandro.

- - Chet Baker

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12