Sax on the Web Forum banner

Tried the Ishimori neck screws on my SBA

7K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  click 
#1 ·
The results probably won't incite a giant thread like Steve Neff's... but here goes.

Was at Ishimori the other day trying out some mouthpieces, and my interested was piqued when I saw another guy holding a tray of 8 of the Ishimori screws, trying them out and giving feedback on which one worked the best for him (??).

So I ask to try them out, they give me 8 screws, 4 for tightening the neck tenon, and 4 lyre screws. Undid the lyre screw, put the Ishimori one in. Sounded more vibrant? Swapped back original, nope, concluded it was the same. Then swapped the neck tenon screw so that both the lyre and tenon were Ishimori... no difference. Swapped so that only the neck tenon was Ishimori... no difference.

After the futility and hassle of swapping the screws, I didn't bother trying the other six. I asked the store clerk why I was given eight of them, she said that the screws can each give a different response/sound, and that people swap around to find the one they like best. Okay, I can sort of understand a screw changing the sound (just barely?), but seemingly identical-looking screws each having a sound characteristic of their own? Didn't buy it at all.

Was a fun, non-scientific experiment, but at least I never have to think about that again.

See less See more
#9 ·
In all fairness, the argument of 'how it sounds to others or on a recording' is invalid for things like reeds, mouthpieces, necks, pads, ligatures, clamp screws and yes, even saxophones, because it is all about how the player feels about the equipment and how it helps or hinders his playing rather than how it would sound to others. I used to scoff at Rovner ligatures until I tried them and realized I liked how they 'smoothed-out' the response. I've been through many of them over the years because they keep changing the product and they all seem to work for me. I doubt seriously if anyone could tell a major difference in my playing no matter what I switched. I would still sound pretty much the same. With a certain neck, I might like getting altissimo easier, for example, but its still my sound and the way I play.
Personally I have my doubts about how much a clamp screw could help me, but I do have to tell you a quick story; I was out of state on a gig one night and had my Martin 'Music Man' tenor (CIII) that night. I had been using it on and off for a few years. Suddenly the RH thumb rest base popped off and the whole assembly hit the floor. I picked up the parts of course and kept playing. That's when I realized the sax was blowing like never before - more resonant and responsive. I had it soldered back on later but never forgot that incident. It is true that the thumb rest dampens the horn, but what can you do? You really need it. So, I can believe certain things promote resonance but a clamp screw is a stretch, although I do not dismiss it without trying it.

#10 ·
Okay, I can sort of understand a screw changing the sound (just barely?), but seemingly identical-looking screws each having a sound characteristic of their own?
Seemingly identical. There are minute differences that make one screw play better than another. You've got to try the whole batch to identify the most resonant screw. But if you get a "bad" one (maybe a little stuffy, or perhaps a trifle off-target intonationally), you can always send it to a screw refacer for some customized touch-up work.

#12 ·
But if you get a "bad" one (maybe a little stuffy, or perhaps a trifle off-target intonationally), you can always send it to a screw refacer for some customized touch-up work.
Or perhaps get it replated to a different finish. Then, of course, you have may have a replated screw that plays better, but the original value is diminished.

Just like necks and thumb rests, most horns tend to play best with original parts that are matched at the factory - screws included.

Edit: I'm betting that Matt Stohrer could make one of those screws play better. Have you watched what he can do on a lathe?

#14 ·
I can understand businessses make a living out of selling products. And this is a harmless product that may make some believing buyers happier. Marketing them is a good way to boost sales. But if Ishimori truly believes in this BS, my respect for their brand just went down the drain.

I had a reputable repairman tell me once, with a straight face that the brass metal he uses on his neckstraps' hooks highly improves the tone of one's horn. C'mon!

#15 ·
There are some nice brands out there like ishimori that don't know when to say STOP. They make something nice but they can't contain themselves from adding a total BS to the great things already created. It feels like they want to destroy with their feet the reputation they created with their brain.

#16 ·
It's a brilliant idea. If you compare your conventional setup to 8 alternative setups (with "different" screws, but actually nominally identical), then it is quite probable that you find one of the alternative setups sounds better!

Think about it this way... you compare your car to 8 others, same make / model / year but with different colors - which car drives best? Maybe not your own...

#21 ·
It's a brilliant idea. If you compare your conventional setup to 8 alternative setups (with "different" screws, but actually nominally identical), then it is quite probable that you find one of the alternative setups sounds better!

Think about it this way... you compare your car to 8 others, same make / model / year but with different colors - which car drives best? Maybe not your own...
Eight different cars would be assembled with different tolerance stack ups all over the place. This is more like swapping out the wiper blades, then taking another lap 'round the block.

#22 ·
"4 lyre screws."
4 lyre screws?
4 lyre screws???!!!

!!!LYRE SCREWS!!!

Sure. Why not solder on a few dozen of them up and down the horn and zero in the vibrations at each node, man?
Silver for the minor and gold for the major, I'm thinking. Tighten and loosen them as required. Heavy heads and light heads.

Plus the effect of using gemstones for screw heads (and I do mean screw heads).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.