Sax on the Web Forum banner

An effect to help a Tenor sound like a Bari

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  adamk 
#1 ·
Are there any effects/stompboxs out there that can be hooked up to a mic that can make a tenor play and sound in the bari range (octave splitter, harmonizer)....would like to know what works best with the least amount of extra hook up.

As is I run my wireless mic directly into my Shure IEM system and run and run a line out from it directly to the board.

What'cha using my more electronicy saxophonists?

#4 ·
I use the TC helicon voice live system
Hi Bill- I quickly googled "TC helicon voice live system" and found there are a whole line of them, ranging from 189.00 to 639.00. Obviously, a player would like the least expensive and simplest to operate one- which one do you use? Thanks.

#8 ·
Years ago I owned a couple of fairly open RPC .145B and I think a .125B that Ron made with the intention of being played with a Bari reed. When I tried to play 'em on a tenor reed it was not so great but slapping that big plank on there gives some flexibility to it and even with the wide opening it played a lot easier than one would imagine a .145 to play.
I do think playing with a Bari sax reed might offer a little more of the timbre.

I want to think I read that Plas Johnson (Pink Panther) plays on Bari sax Plasitcovers on tenor. Hmmm might need to consider the reed switch as part of the connection.

#6 ·
I use the voice love play system for years now. Think it's like 249. Going to update soon to the voice live 3 but this one has done the job for years. Lots and lots of great effects and reverbs and delays are superb. I just tell the sound guy to keep me dry and I take care of it.

#9 ·
I think the Forestone synthetic reeds (if my memory is working today) are a little more narrow than regular bari reeds. This makes it easier to make a mouthpiece that accepts Bari Reeds.

Do do this right you need a mouthpiece that starts off brighter than you want and bigger than you need because a lot of material has to come off the table and rails for the piece to widen to where there is not a ton of overlap on the reed edges....there will be some most likely. Also, once its made the rails get thinned from the inside so it uses the whole reed. There is no turning back at that point. Tenor reeds will fall in if mounted on the mouthpiece. Widening the rails and making window longer makes the mouthpiece darker. The floor can also be built up with epoxy if it is too dark....kind of like floridating a piece with epoxy putty.

...anyway...that is how it gets done and its a hassle but it works. I cant say I like the effect, Id rather use a tenor reed...but it does have a little more of that baritone gutsy vibe in at least parts of the range.

#10 ·
I've tried almost every Octaver pedal effect on the market (not a lot of experience with rack-mounted effects units though). The best one that I've found so far is the TC Electronic Nova system multi-effect pedal.

It tracks really well, and has a very natural sound complete with overtone harmonics to make it sound like a real saxophone. The closest second that I found was the Eventide Pitchfactor, but you can pick up the Nova System these days for quite a bit less money (around $200-$250).

The other cool thing about the Nova it also has a bunch of really good sounding on-board effects (tap tempo delay, reverb, phaser/flanger/chorus, compressor, even a tube overdrive). It's a great sounding unit and a lot of bang for the buck in my opinion.

Musical instrument Musical instrument accessory Electronic instrument Audio equipment Font

#13 ·
Hey Mark! I posted a video a few weeks ago demonstrating an octave/pitch-generator pedal that I really like (the "Organizer" by EarthQuaker Devices). You can get some great sounds with it, and it can be pretty bari-like if you blend the "direct" and "octave down" signals.

Obviously it doesn't sound exactly like a bari, but it's a very cool, deep, full sound that might help approach what you're looking for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.