Sax on the Web Forum banner

How rare is a Keilwerth straight tenor?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  click 
#1 ·
Does someone's store of Keilwerth trivia include an idea how many straight tenors Keilwerth made?

Mine is a jewel of a horn I purchased from Stephan Bosken in 2003. Every few years I think of selling it because, admittedly, I do not play it often. It's just unwieldly. Whenever I am tempted I simply have to play it to be seduced again by its smooth action and the fact that it is the most in tune horn I've ever owned.

#2 ·
I look forward to hearing the answer to your question. I've not played a JK straight tenor before, though I played an LA Sax straight tenor for a while. Unwieldy is a great word for it!

#3 · (Edited)
It's not that the horn is difficult or uncomfortable to hold while playing, I simply have to be very careful to avoid whacking the bell against something while I'm moving around with it. I suppose I could fashion a foam bumper to wrap around the bell, but that's too much like having a plastic cover on a sofa for me.

#5 ·
Does someone's store of Keilwerth trivia include an idea how many straight tenors Keilwerth made?

Mine is a jewel of a horn I purchased from Stephan Bosken in 2003. Every few years I think of selling it because, admittedly, I do not play it often. It's just unwieldly. Whenever I am tempted I simply have to play it to be seduced again by its smooth action and the fact that it is the most in tune horn I've ever owned.
I don't want to derail the thread but I saw Lovano perform a set at the Vanguard on an LA Sax straight tenor, If I remember correctly it had a matte gold finish. Must have been 1999? 2000? Anyway, he sounded like himself and it was very cool if not unwieldly looking!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.