Sax on the Web Forum banner

Acapella saxophone albums or tracks by masters

2K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  mascio 
#1 ·
Hello, i am searching for acapella saxophone improvisations.
I have Potter's acapella themes and also heard Mark Turner, although not on standards, i love it.
Of course hawkins´body n should come to mind.

What would you recommend?

I have to play one tune acapella and need some inspiration!

Thanks.

I know some others like Steve Lacy, Anthony Braxton,..but i would prefer to hear something on changes or jazz standards.

#3 ·
Donny McCaslin takes an unaccompanied solo on 'The Champion' from the Recommended Tools album that kills.

Here's a Brecker solo performance with some standards-

There was a version of Mark Turner playing through Along Came Betty acapella floating around for a while, I couldn't find it on Youtube but it's out there somewhere.

#9 ·
Joe Giardullo from soprano planet has made (at least two) cds with only solo recordings. I just started listening to one again as I saw the thread. Of course it's more the dolphy/lacy/coltrane approach than playing standards with changes.

#10 ·
There's a cool version of Dexter Gordon playing a Christmas song on YouTube without background music. Maybe " The Christmas Song"? (The chestnuts roasting song)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.