WTB RPC 120B or larger for tenor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default WTB RPC 120B or larger for tenor

I love RPC mouthpieces. I use a 125B on baritone. Awesome piece. I had a 115B for tenor that I got from Ron, but I'm finding I really like the more open ones. My current tenor piece is an older red-letter 120 that's got something of a moderate baffle, but I I'd like a bit more edge, crunch, sizzle, etc., and I'm thinking a piece with a higher baffle might help. I actually use baritone reeds on it, they work great! Before I call up Ron and start the process of ordering a new one (which took 3 months last time, though I understand he's not so far behind now?), I'd like to see there might be an underused one floating around out there already.

I started by posting this on the WTB forum, but got few looks and no responses, so please excuse the cross-posting here in the for sale section.

Thanks for looking!
    mnash

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Forum Contributor 2012-2015 Bozman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: WTB RPC 120B or larger for tenor

There's a 130B on ebay for $280.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a 110 if you're interested

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies. I like the more open pieces, but that .130 is kind of scary. For now, I have decided not to make any changes just yet. The .120 RPC is a really nice mouthpiece, very versatile and solid. I've made peace with my piece.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mnash View Post
    I've made peace with my piece.
    That is what we all need to aspire to do....as I look at my Rovner Mouthpiece Manager full of pieces.
    “What I reach for first when I play is sound. Technique maybe, but there is technique in sound.” –Dewey Redman
    “Hipness isn’t a state of mind; it’s a fact of life.” - Julian ‘Cannonball’ Adderley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've made peace with my piece.
    That is what we all need to aspire to do....as I look at my Rovner Mouthpiece Manager full of pieces.
    “What I reach for first when I play is sound. Technique maybe, but there is technique in sound.” –Dewey Redman
    “Hipness isn’t a state of mind; it’s a fact of life.” - Julian ‘Cannonball’ Adderley

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the more open pieces, but that .130 is kind of scary. For now, I have decided not to make any changes just yet. The .120 RPC is a really nice mouthpiece, very versatile and solid.
    Have you ever measured the tip opening on your 120? It was not out of the ordinary for the older high baffled RPC tenor mouthpieces to be .009" more open than marked. A red letter high baffled RPC I once had for tenor was marked 120, but was actually a .129" tip opening. My 125 measures .134".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumps View Post
    My 125 measures .134".
    So does my blue letter bari

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Huh, interesting. No, I don't really have right tools (or keen eyesight) to accurately measure the tip opening. I guess that suggests that maybe a modern .130 might possibly be somewhat comparable to my older .120??

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess that suggests that maybe a modern .130 might possibly be somewhat comparable to my older .120??
    Possible, but even some of the early blue lettered pieces are more open than marked (my 125/134 is blue lettered as opposed to the red lettered 120/129). So it may depend on when that 130 on ebay was made, as my experience with those made within the last six years or so are accurately marked.

Ron actually told me some time ago that he under-marked the openings so as not to frighten his customers back then.

SOTW Columnist
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My current tenor piece is an older red-letter 120 that's got something of a moderate baffle, but I I'd like a bit more edge, crunch, sizzle, etc., and I'm thinking a piece with a higher baffle might help.
    I probably have just what you're looking for, but sorry no way I can bring myself to sell it. But I'd suggest you may be just fine with what you have now. The one I have that seems like what you're after has a baffle with a pronounced vertical step (like a cliff) into the chamber. It has a huge, cutting sound with lots of edge when pushed. Bright but still lots of body and not thin or shrill at all. I also have one with a slightly lower, more rounded off baffle, which is probably similar to what you have now. I used both pretty extensively over a long period and eventually settled on the more rounded baffle piece because it has a warmer tone quality and I think better tone, but still can blow the roof off. Best of both worlds. So you're probably fine.

Right now in the same vein, for a large tip, moderately high baffle piece, I'm really enjoying an ebonite 9* PPT I got from Pete Thomas. It's got a lot of what the RPC offers, but maybe a bit more punch and more centered tone. Better than the RPC? I can't say for sure, but there's something in how it feels and plays that I prefer at the moment. Still, it's hard to beat a good RPC!