Fritzel's European Jazz Club New Orleans 733 Bourbon Street

Where I don't have to boil the water before I drink it..
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fritzel's European Jazz Club New Orleans 733 Bourbon Street

Last year, I returned to Bourbon Street to learn that one of the very bright spots of my youth is still open. If you like traditional New Orleans Dixieland jazz, this is the place.

http://www.fritzelsjazz.net/live/

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiEkb3NLulQ

The nights that I was there, the band took requests. When I called out "Honeysuckle Rose!", everyone in in the band gulped collectively, paused for ten seconds, and then the pianist played the intro and began singing. The clarinettist remarked that he had to think hard about the changes because he hadn't played the tune in ages.

I highly recommend this club.
    The absolute real reason I continue is the free shrimp at the cocktail hour. It's the little things.--- Rich Maraday

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Fritzel's European Jazz Club New Orleans 733 Bourbon Street

I liked the 3 Muses on Frenchman better, also the Maison Bourbon on Bourbon street, but Fritzels is good.

Kind of a rigid atmosphere, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like this spot alot. Its amidst the riff raff but it ain't. They're all pretty good, after all.

They let me sit in on a tune, so can't be too rigid! ; )
    ,,,overrated pleasures, underrated treasures...
    Come visit: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthr...Track-Ligature Now new and improved!
    As well as: https://www.facebook.com/glovesgofar

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I remember correctly, the clubs on Frenchman street allowed musicians to play for fifteen minutes of fame and whatever tips they got in the jar. I was surprised by the number of younger musicians actually playing jazz. I may have gone into the Three Muses.

When I lived in New Orleans, I lived on that block for awhile. It was dark and scary back then, and there was just The Dream Palace on that street. Sometime in the early eighties Snug Harbor moved into the block. It wasn't open when I had dinner at one of the places that was once The Dream Palace.

Bourbon Street is a LOT different from what I experienced when I lived there. I played down the street at the 544 Club before Gary Brown came on. Now, that club is just a godawful rave.

What do you mean by "rigid"? All of the surviving clubs are different now. The feeling from the '70's and early '80's is gone for the most part. Today's Frenchman Street evinces a real renaissance, even though the places I went in allowed the bands really limited time to play.

Maison Bourbon hasn't changed its sound much since I left. In the '70's, the musicians played a mix of swing and Dixieland. When I was in high school and underage, the management allowed me to stand in front of the unglassed window and listen to the musicians play. When I turned eighteen (then the legal age to buy and drink alcohol), I went to the Maison Bourbon and had a couple of beers.

Yeah, thems was the days.
    The absolute real reason I continue is the free shrimp at the cocktail hour. It's the little things.--- Rich Maraday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High Fly View Post
    I like this spot alot. Its amidst the riff raff but it ain't. They're all pretty good, after all.

They let me sit in on a tune, so can't be too rigid! ; )
    Way back, some of the clubs on Bourbon Street allowed walk-ins sit in for a tune. When I was at Fritzel's, they let a young guy with a soprano sax sit in. When he told the band that he wanted to play Bechet's Si Tu Vois Ma Mere, I thought "Oh no. The guy is going to mimic Bechet's vibrato and embarrass himself". The guy played it really well with a moderate but authentic Bechet vibrato. It made me really happy to hear the clarinetist (whose name I can't remember) call the guy up to play. I was even happier when I heard him play and when the audience gave him loud applause. I was so happy I stayed for another eight dollar beer.

That's how it was way back when.

If it weren't for the heat and humidity, I'd move back.

Maybe.