[Admin] Changes in SOTW ownership

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Post Changes in SOTW ownership

To all Sax on the Web members and followers:

I am sad and also pleased to inform you that SOTW will be now operated under new ownership.

We will be partnered with Verticalscope (VS) – they will take over the hosting, technical support and financial stuff related to the site. I have been working with several people from Verticalscope; they are a great bunch of folks and have assured us that nothing will change on our end. They have transferred the site over to their servers and we are on a fast enough machine/host to keep things moving along at the speeds where they should be.

I apologize for not discussing this prior to making this move, but I was not allowed to as a part of the transfer. I did it knowing that VS has a huge network of sites over 200 and the resources to support and maintain SOTW and keep us running and updated as needed.

It’s been a pleasure and honor creating this site and working with you guys and the members at large. I started the Sax on the Web site in 1996, and a couple years later came the SOTW Forum.

There are so many people who helped in the beginning by encouraging, and by providing content and direction to the site: Paul Coats, Tim Price, John Laughter, Skip Spratt, Neil Sharpe, and many others.

We had and still have a group of amazingly dedicated administrators and moderators, saxophonists who took Sax on the Web Forum to their heart and as their home:

Pete Hales, Gandalf, Kim (Cartoons and French section), Saxismyaxe (The current Chief Admin) and the rest of our current admin team. I trust that they will continue to stay around, and keep the forum content professionally managed.

The notes and greetings I have gotten over the years from so many members has made this a tough decision to make, you have no idea how hard this was to do. I just felt that after twenty years it was more and more difficult to focus my full attention to the site. But I am not going to walk away. The people at Verticalscope did ask me to stick around, and that I will certainly do. Now I may have more time to participate in saxophone and music discussion rather than chasing spammers and fixing technical problems.

VS are going to keep the domain on their server bank and I have great trust in their technical competency as demonstrated over the years. I had assurances that our forum will remain the SOTW Forum, to be run as we always have, and they will run the business/technical side of the site. I trust the VS with help of SOTW moderators will be running a tidy ship, no politics/brand bashing and always member respect.

You guys and your feedback have meant the world to me; one pro saxophonist in Finland told me that I am perhaps the best known Finnish sax player outside Finland . Not really, I guess he is Eero Koivistoinen.

Anyway, the last thing I would want would be to lose your respect and friendship, and I hope you understand my reason for doing this, and I really think this will be a positive move for Sax on the Web; these folks are committed to SOTW growing and letting us/you continue on as you have.

Yours truly,

Harri Rautiainen

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Discombobulated SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Changes in SOTW ownership

Thank you Harri for your decades(!!!) of service to the saxophone community through this forum and website. I hope the transition goes smoothly and you have a fulfilling "retirement" with far fewer headaches to contend with.
    FS: Many Alto Saxophone Mouthpieces

FS: Tenor Mouthpieces

Q: After all these years, what do you practice?
    Sonny Rollins: Everything — but in no particular order.

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-2016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh wow! I don't know what to say, Harri...thank you for all of the time and attention you've provided over the years. I only hope that the new owners are as easy and pleasant to deal with...
    Current setups:
    Yamaha YSS-875EX, Selmer Soloist D, Ishimori lig,Hemke 3.5
    Yamaha YAS-875EXS, Selmer Air Flow C*, Ishimori lig,Hemke 3.5
    Yamaha YTS-875EX, Selmer Air Flow C*, Ishimori lig, Hemke 3.5
    Kessler Solist Bari, Selmer Air Flow C*, BG Tradition lig, Vandoren 3

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Harri: Congrats on a job well done. I don't recall when I first came onto the site, but it was in the late 1990's, I'm guessing. Thanks for the hard work. DAVE
    Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many thanks for everything you've done here, Harri! If you saw the need for this change, I'm sure the decision was made with every consideration for the continued health of the SOTW community. Look forward to many more years of this great resource.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello everyone,

My name is Philip, I am a community manager for Verticalscope, I work with a small team that will continue to manage the webmaster duties for SaxOnTheWeb.net.

We are here to help primarily with the technical end of things and help make the jobs of the current Mods/Admins easier. I posted a real basic run down to answer common questions below. If you have more questions or concerns please feel free to post them in response.

What are our intentions?

We bring reliability, support and the infrastructure needed to ensure that the community will continue to be around for years to come. It’s our goal to work with the mod/admin team to help provide the resources and required work to give this community a broader reach, to attract new members, and to better the overall knowledge shared in the community.

Will leadership change?

Continuity is the focus here, YOU as the membership work very hard to keep building this community while your mod/admin team keep the walls and the roof up in this place; we are primarily here to make sure the lights stay on. Every community is unique and should always be respected in that regard. You all have established your own unique rules and regulations and a strong reputation that is carried by all of this. For us it’s paramount to maintain this level of integrity and enthusiasm.

What am I here for?

Our primary role is to be the technical contact; you all contributed to building the strong foundation the site was built on. Moving forward we will all work together to keep the momentum and the community growing. We will be on the forum checking in daily to make sure regular maintenance is taken care of and keeping things running smoothly from behind the scenes. We will also be setting up a help desk on the site for when you have questions or issues with the site or your account and need assistance.

Looking forward to working with you all.

Thanks,

Philip

Administrator
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J.Max View Post
    Oh wow! I don't know what to say, Harri...thank you for all of the time and attention you've provided over the years. I only hope that the new owners are as easy and pleasant to deal with...
    I like to think we are. There are no plans for sweeping changes here, we are here primarily for support and to make sure the lights stay on.
    -Philip

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What of the SOTW "police" also know as Administrators who monitored inappropriate content and the like?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Dolson View Post
    Harri: Congrats on a job well done. I don't recall when I first came onto the site, but it was in the late 1990's, I'm guessing. Thanks for the hard work. DAVE
    Dave, you were certainly amongst the first pioneers!

Unfortunately the current membership roster is from early 2003. However, the first SOTW Forum incarnation dates back to 1998.
    Thanks for participation over the years,
    Harri

Forum Contributor 2017 BrianMitchellBrody's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best of luck Harry!
    �We are what we repeatedly do.
    Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.�
    ~Aristotle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for everything! I really enjoy having a place to come to where we all share the same love. Kudos on a job well done and for building a great community.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Harri: Yes, I came here before the formal membership list of 2003. It had to in the late 1990's given my employment history. A fun - and informative - time, for sure. DAVE
    Dave

Administrator
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sacks Of Phones View Post
    What of the SOTW "police" also know as Administrators who monitored inappropriate content and the like?
    The site administration you have grown to know and appreciate will not change.
    -Philip

Forum Contributor 2007-2016

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Harri,
    Thank you for developing and helping grow the finest saxophone site on the internet.

We all owe you the HUGEST THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Forum Contributor 2017 sandster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank You, Harri! and THANKS to all the moderators and admin. people!
    ?the sandster

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2008-2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hari, there are not enough words to thank for what you have done through this idea and work you have done.

You have my life gratitude and endless respect, and may I say, a good friend in me here in Mexico.

We will keep in touch.

JI

Distinguished SOTW Member 1saxman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Harri; thanks for everything, man! I've been here since the early days too, under my real name at first, then two screen names as we had to re-join each time you had to move it to different servers or whatever happened. In those days I watched it from my workplace (shhh!) LOL because I didn't even have a computer at home - now I won't even leave the house without my smart phone! You created what was to become probably the most important resource for sax players that ever existed. The early days were full of wonder as every day another old myth was either debunked or sometimes confirmed. For example, when it started, I thought there had been a MK IV Selmer at some point before the MK VI because I had heard such talk at music stores or among sax players, but that turned out to be false and the rumor only existed because people were either dyslexic or couldn't read Roman numerals in the first place and were mistakenly referring to the MK VI. Now everybody knows or can quickly discover facts about Selmer and other manufacturers that only a few knew prior to SOTW. As long as it is available it will continue to be a wonderful resource thanks largely to your efforts over the past 20 years.
    Thank you very, very much and I hope you have a great 'rest-of-your-life'!.

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Can you assure us that no personal details will be handed over to VerticalScope?

I have been spammed by them, and if they are good at the technical side that is great because it can only be good for this forum, but I really hope this doesn't mean they get private information.

I have always trusted Harri and the admin/mods, so I hope this ends up for the best
    TamingTheSaxophone.com & PPT Mouthpieces
    Tone Without Tears: get a great sound without the boring long notes | BEGINNERS' DVD & ONLINE TUTORIALS | CDs, BACKING TRACKS & SHEET MUSIC

Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011 awholley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all your efforts over the years, Harri!
    "Even the wisest counsel is useless when it is unheeded." -Stephanie Barron
    Sound samples: https://soundcloud.com/alan-holley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or data breaches.......

http://www.zdnet.com/article/hacker-...sports-forums/

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    Can you assure us that no personal details will be handed over to VerticalScope?

I have been spammed by them, and if they are good at the technical side that is great because it can only be good for this forum, but I really hope this doesn't mean they get private information.

I have always trusted Harri and the admin/mods, so I hope this ends up for the best

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast