Hyson Music
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Excellent The Martin Alto For Sale

I've owned this horn for several years and played it probably a total of 10 hours. It was professionally overhauled right before I bought it and pads are still like new. Pads have medium sized flat metal resonators and the horn plays and sounds great. No dents or damage and original lacquer is probably at 95% or better. This is a very nice example with the sticker still in place near the serial number. Neck and body have matching serial numbers. I'm including a new ProTec rectangular case that fits the horn well. I tried a contoured case but the foam didn't have enough give to account for the left side guard. I'm asking $1700 and open to serious offers. Here are some pictures for your review:

B&S Medusa Goldbrass Alto, B&S 2001 and Blue Label Tenors, The Martin Alto, Tenor and Bari, Prestini Classic Soprano

Forum Contributor 2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Excellent The Martin Alto For Sale

Price reduced to $1500.
    B&S Medusa Goldbrass Alto, B&S 2001 and Blue Label Tenors, The Martin Alto, Tenor and Bari, Prestini Classic Soprano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HeyJerry...I have an interest, but I don't know anything about Martins and never played one, I think Art Pepper used to play on this model??...Does this alto sound dark, how's the ergo's?...Thanks!

Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HeyJoe View Post
    HeyJerry...I have an interest, but I don't know anything about Martins and never played one, I think Art Pepper used to play on this model??...Does this alto sound dark, how's the ergo's?...Thanks!
    Yes, Art Pepper played one until he switched to Selmer. I owned a Committee III alto once, except that it wasn't as nice cosmetically. I stooopidly sold mine. Lush fat sound with excellent ergonomics. If I thought I could get a decent price for one of my two modern altos and wasn't looking for a Martin baritone, I would be most interested in an alto to like this one. BTW, as a disclaimer, I have no connection to the seller whatsoever, but wish him best of luck with the sale.
    Forum contributor 2007-2013

Forum Contributor 2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HeyJoe View Post
    The Martin Altos have a lush fat tone (spot on brasscane) and really good ergonomics. The left pinkie table has a more familiar shape and feel than many vintage horns. If I were playing more I wouldn't be selling it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pm sent.

Forum Contributor 2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just responded.

Forum Contributor 2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)