Gear tryout exchange idea - would this work?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gear tryout exchange idea - would this work?

Hi all, I had a crazy thought, feel free to chime in whether this could work, or of interest.

Many folks here are obsessed with gear. Getting your hands on mouthpieces or some specific horn models to try isn't easy, especially if one doesn't live in a location with good shops. Or the other option - buying stuff blindly to try gets prohibitely expensive quick.

What if folks here on SOTW could enter their approximate location, list their gear (mpc, horns, etc), and whether it's ok to PM them for gear tryout/exchange? For free or for money/booze/whatever.

Like "Hello, I see you have such and such mouthpieces, would you be open for me to come and try them, against a bottle of whisky, or maybe if you are interested in trades I have a Bhirdaldine Tonamaticlik, Phildoren Flodida Skunk refaced by Adam Sandler, and a Conn 10w tub-contrabass-fax-sax and that Pete Thomas tone-snake that might interest you.". They could then be free to arrange a meetup if they feel like it.

I don't have anything too fancy, but I wouldn't object to someone coming over to playtest one or many of my three horns under my supervision, and talk about gear for an hour or so. Maybe someone who is considering to buy a similar horn on ebay, or whatever. Even better if they bring a bottle of wine or something as a gesture. I oculd imagine even paying some straight up money for similar opportunity. Such a "program" would serve the community as one form of networking with local players, too. Or something interesting to do when travelling. Fun and useful, maybe?

It could be something as easy as a "sign me up for gear tryout exchange" in user profile with text field for listing gear, or some more advanced database or tool for listing such contacts near you. No personal info other than gear, city and willingness to participate would be required, other things would be communicated via PM. This info could be visible to everyone, or only for members who have also signed up, making it a club of sorts.

My PHP and MySQL skills are a bit rusty but I'm pretty sure I could hack together something that would work more or less integrated with the SOTW forum software.

Just throwing this in the air, feel free to comment...

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Gear tryout exchange idea - would this work?

several people tried to do this with “ pass-around or passaround” mouthpieces.

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...to-pass-around
    https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...one-mouthpiece
    https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...-8)-passaround
    https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...-SOPRANOPLANET

The cost of shipping larger items and the fact that ( at least in the EU) you will be taxed even if you declare that an item has no value or that is a present makes passing around anything else impractical and actually very dangerous.
    Unless one does the incredibly complex procedure for “ temporary export of goods”, one will be taxed upon the return or your own item.

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs...importation_en

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/exportin...outside-the-eu

Think of:

1) who is responsible it things are damaged or get lost?
    2) who pays for shipping and taxes ( when you return to an original owner in the EU)?
    3) if you send me a bottle of whisky from outside the EU I will certainly end up paying duty ...
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm also skeptical about arranging anything like that by shipping things around. I was thinking strictly local (or travelling) face to face kind of deal. Everything could happen under your watchful eye, and most of the burden would be on the person wanting to test something.

Of course, when dealing within geographical limitations, there might not be enough folks for this kind of thing to be very usefull outside of the biggest cities. That might render this idea not that great. I had that concern, but nevertheless decided to probe interest. SOTW might just be big enough to make it work, I don't know..

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been in touch at some time or other with many Dutch and Belgian, German or French SOTW members and they are all welcome to come and try any saxophone or mouthpiece that I have ( whether for sale or not).

As long as they come to visit me ( with a bottle or wine or not)

Shipping stuff around is a completely different thing.
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

Distinguished SOTW Member artstove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it is a good idea, agreeing with raindog and milandro that it happens in person, rather than by shipping stuff around. It has the added (potential) plus of meeting other SOTWers in person, which I have enjoyed in the past. I don't have a massive amount of equipment, but I would be willing to do this in the SF Bay Area.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've done it - in person with SOTW members (and others), locally. I would not be in favor of sending something to someone else far away without compensation. DAVE
    Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+10

Forum Contributor 2016 MrBlueNote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like a great idea to me. Would probably save many of us a bunch of money to be able to actually test horns, mouthpieces, etc. before plunking down our cash.
    "Jazz is people playing weird s#*t on the V and then resolving to the I."

-My teacher

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no problem whatsoever with players visiting me to try out gear - if you're ever in the Osaka, Japan area please look me up!