Sax on the Web Forum banner

Sax Licks, Tips, and Tricks

17K views 109 replies 19 participants last post by  Randy Hunter 
#1 ·
Just thought I'd let you know about a new series I've started on my YouTube channel. You may (or may not) be familiar with my "Transcribe This Lick" and "Jazz Sight Reading Challenge" videos, and I'll continue making posts to each of these series. But I've been wanting to create a playlist called "Sax Licks, Tips, and Tricks" for some time, so here goes. I've got 3 videos in the series at my YouTube channel- the first is below. I'll alternate between creating content for this set and the other two series. If you dig the videos, be sure to check out my Jazz Improvisation Lessons and my Beginning Sax Lessons at www.beginningsax.com

Thanks!

Randy Hunter
www.beginningsax.com
www.randyhunterjazz.com

#108 ·
Thanks JL- Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I've been away for a few days. You hit the nail on the head regarding the concepts. I love these little exercises that have multiple functions and that have a system of navigation through the keys. Just like you mentioned- guide tones connecting the chords. With the octave displacement; I like to incorporate it at varying points while going through the keys rather that at the same places each pass around the cycle. That keeps things fresh and allows you to hit different registers on the instrument. I'm always looking for new ways to conceptualize patterns so that they become more than just licks or finger exercises.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.