Did You Know That Loud Noise (including music) Raises Your Risk of Heart Disease? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Contributor 2016 MrBlueNote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Did You Know That Loud Noise (including music) Raises Your Risk of Heart Disease?

Thanks for updating us with your cardiologist's medical opinion. Good to have an expert weigh in on this subject. Be well!
    "Jazz is people playing weird s#*t on the V and then resolving to the I."

-My teacher

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Did You Know That Loud Noise (including music) Raises Your Risk of Heart Disease?

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    Mercola is NOT a reliable source for health information.
    *quack, quack*
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by skyboltone View Post
    This stuff drives me wild. Without seeing the methodology how can one conclude anything from such drivel? Did they control for burrito trucks? How about genetic factors. Any heart disease in the family I wonder? I expect one could correlate chewing gum and heart disease actually. Did they control for people who were exposed to loud noise and DIDN'T have CAD? Maybe it's just vapor trails.....in the sky......from the government.
    I didn't see this post until now and I'm having quite a laugh with it. The burrito trucks and chewing gum are really classic points. Touché. I really think it was the cheesburger I ate at that place that night that did it. I usually don't eat beef anymore and that thing was big and juicy with great fries. As I was leaving I felt a bit overfull and then wham-O the buger triggered the attack I bet. LOL.
    'How far y'all going?' Ruby asked us with a sigh.
    'We're going all the way 'till the wheels fall off and burn.
    Till the sun peels the paint and the seat covers fade and the water moccasin dies'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Is All View Post
    Anyway, today when I saw my cardiologist I asked him about this noise thing and he said that the evidence on that is scarely conclusive of anything corrolation and it would be more likely the amount of stress a person felt in that environment rather than the noise itself. Mix in smoking, drinking, drugs and sex and certainly a loud disco or bar scene could cause enough stress over time to give someone heart problems....especially the staff. So yeah, I accept your take on it and won't worry about this other than to protect my ears more and getting more sleep and not closing the bar every time I go. After all it's a jam, not a gig. Being a night owl all my life might not be good now that I'm in my 7th decade. Ya think?
    Wait, you actually asked a cardiologist? You didn't want to just trust the advice of Some Random Guy on the Internet (ie, me)?

You're a wise man. My guess is you'll make it to your 8th decade, and then some.

Distinguished SOTW Slacker
    Forum Contributor 2017
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MLucky View Post
    Wait, you actually asked a cardiologist? You didn't want to just trust the advice of Some Random Guy on the Internet (ie, me)?

You're a wise man. My guess is you'll make it to your 8th decade, and then some.
    I'll have no more thinking around here! *

*Famous line by King Henry II to his henchmen when he was having so much trouble with The Archbishop of Canterbury in the movie Becket. O'Tool and Burton 1964
    The last of the world's great human beings. Well maybe next to last? Ok a perfectly ordinary slacker, but I'm getting better.
    Vito Stencil Beaugnier 38T Tenor, Fender David Gilmour Stratocaster, Selmer Centered Tone Bb Clarinet, Piano, 3rd grader tonette (STILL), Bach student Trumpet, Altec VOT Model 19 components in DIY cabs....tube electronics. Two dang airplanes in pieces in the hangar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MLucky View Post

Opinions on internet are like ********, everyone has one. Dumb thing is that I still fall into believing some scientific claim simply because it appears in the form of a Research study or has the name of some laboratory on it. I know better than that....I stopped selecting my doctors from matchbook covers.....and no longer ask for medical advice in the personal section of Craig's List although that Thai Masseuse I found that way really did know her way around the human body.

Anyway, the most important thing my cardiologist told me yesterday was that I should wait awhile to play the sax because my breastbone is still not fully knit and healed and the pressure of playing could cause problems. I already knew it but was trying to get a time frame for when but he just said to wait till he and my surgeon gave the green light. Same for driving.

Actually, the hell with loud noise being a factor, because driving in this city causes more stress than just about anything given the blood-boiling anger, frustration and aggressivity it can cause. I constantly have to take a chill pill when in traffic here because it's impossible not to get pissed off with the way these asssholes drive and the antiquated and horribly managed traffic control system that creates jams instead of the opposite.
    I'll have no more thinking around here! *

*Famous line by King Henry II to his henchmen when he was having so much trouble with The Archbishop of Canterbury in the movie Becket. O'Tool and Burton 1964
    Yes, thought is out now in the New America. Just say whatever comes to mind and it'll be the truth, alternative or otherwise.
    Till the sun peels the paint and the seat covers fade and the water moccasin dies'.

Forum Contributor 2017
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Opinions on internet are like ********, everyone has one. Dumb thing is that I still fall into believing some scientific claim simply because it appears in the form of a Research study or has the name of some laboratory on it. I know better than that....I stopped selecting my doctors from matchbook covers.....and no longer ask for medical advice in the personal section of Craig's List although that Thai Masseuse I found that way really did know her way around the human body.

Anyway, the most important thing my cardiologist told me yesterday was that I should wait awhile to play the sax because my breastbone is still not fully knit and healed and the pressure of playing could cause problems. I already knew it but was trying to get a time frame for when but he just said to wait till he and my surgeon gave the green light. Same for driving.

Actually, the hell with loud noise being a factor, because driving in this city causes more stress than just about anything given the blood-boiling anger, frustration and aggressivity it can cause. I constantly have to take a chill pill when in traffic here because it's impossible not to get pissed off with the way these asssholes drive and the antiquated and horribly managed traffic control system that creates jams instead of the opposite.

Yes, thought is out now in the New America. Just say whatever comes to mind and it'll be the truth, alternative or otherwise.
    I think, but do not KNOW, that the aircraft carrier flight deck is still the loudest working environment. I would imagine it is right up there on the stress scale as well but I'm unaware of anything like a large scale correlation to death by myocardial infarction for flight deck workers. Frequent and gruesome death due to click bait on the other hand is well known. ;o( Studies proving links between the frustrations of re-moving malware and subsequent heart attack while re-loading windows are rather commonplace. I long for an analog world.
    The last of the world's great human beings. Well maybe next to last? Ok a perfectly ordinary slacker, but I'm getting better.
    Vito Stencil Beaugnier 38T Tenor, Fender David Gilmour Stratocaster, Selmer Centered Tone Bb Clarinet, Piano, 3rd grader tonette (STILL), Bach student Trumpet, Altec VOT Model 19 components in DIY cabs....tube electronics. Two dang airplanes in pieces in the hangar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think, but do not KNOW, that the aircraft carrier flight deck is still the loudest working environment. I would imagine it is right up there on the stress scale as well but I'm unaware of anything like a large scale correlation to death by myocardial infarction for flight deck workers. Frequent and gruesome death due to click bait on the other hand is well known. ;o( Studies proving links between the frustrations of re-moving malware and subsequent heart attack while re-loading windows are rather commonplace. I long for an analog world.
    Windows by itself has caused more cases of sudden psychotic episodes, suicide and computers thrown out of windows and off cliffs than any other cause. It reaches a peak everytime a new version has come out and dazed users loose it while trying to find features that are now hidden from view in illogical places.

Forum Contributor 2017
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Windows by itself has caused more cases of sudden psychotic episodes, suicide and computers thrown out of windows and off cliffs than any other cause. It reaches a peak everytime a new version has come out and dazed users loose it while trying to find features that are now hidden from view in illogical places.
    Amen my brother. You inform the choir. Recipe for a long life; Drink small amounts of red wine and single malt while avoiding the internet, but not all three at once.

Forum Contributor 2015-2016 SHOZZA's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Michael if you read this, your in box is full. In answer to your last question..... No it was never mentioned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SHOZZA View Post
    Michael if you read this, your in box is full. In answer to your last question..... No it was never mentioned.
    Rob, I just emptied my PM box. sorry about that.

Forum Contributor 2015-2016 SHOZZA's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rob, I just emptied my PM box. sorry about that.

Cheers Michael.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've tuned pianos for 45 years.
    They are always opened up for access to the strings, soundboard and I have to pound like hell to try and knock them out of tune.
    I don't know the decibel level but it's sustained for hours at a time.
    I still can hear and except for a screwed up back and neck from asymmetrical isometric activities (lots of torquing very little movement with the right arm) and continuous pounding with the left, I'm OK.

SOTW Interviews/Editor
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2008-17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember seeing an article a while back, claiming heavy metal musicians were having a problem with hair loss on the back of their heads, due to standing in front of banks of amps/speakers for too many performances over too many years...

However, where loud music definitely can have an impact is hearing loss over a period of time, and, of course, tinnitus. I knew this heading in, thanks to a couple of pro players way back when. But, this is the choice I made, and although my hearing definitely has been affected, if given the chance, I happily would do it all over again. 'Cause when you're playing on stage and everything is in full flight, there is nothing else like it.
    Pressure Proof- Mental Training For Competition, Performance
    http://pressureproof.virb.com/

SOTW's Blues, R&B, Rock n' Roll Teaching Resource
    http://www.saxontheweb.net/Rock_n_Roll/

Anxiety, Emotions and Performing Well
    http://www.saxontheweb.net/Resources...-NSharpe1.html

SOTW Supports The New Orleans Musicians' Relief Fund
    "These 16 great MP3s celebrate the rich, vibrant, musical heritage of The City Lights - New Orleans."
    http://www.nomrf.org/saxontheweb.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I often wear one earplug on the side nearest the drummer and the lead shredder to dampen them at least a little. The other ear without is so I can hear myself since I have no earpiece monitor or even a stage monitor. Rock jams are a trip I agree and when everything is going good I forget about the sound level and just go with the great vibes of being up there and playing. Nothing like it really, as you say, which is why I love it. At a jam you never know what is going to happen and it very often greater than you'd expected. Plus I thrive on the spontaneity of it because it keeps me on my toes and learning something every time I play. But as my cardiologist told me last week, there is no factual proof that loud music is harmful to one's heart at all, but plenty that it causes deafness etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12